Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Currently close to finishing The Salt Path by Raynor Winn. It's the account of a middle aged couple, one of whom has a terminal diagnosis and who have lost everything, undertaking the southwest coast path with next to no money and poor camping gear. A part of the country I am fairly familiar with, it's been an interesting read, with descriptions of life on the margins. Very readable. 
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Not sure about the best books I read in 2023 but the worst 2 were :

The Ink Black Heart - Robert Galbraith

& Fairy Tale - Stephen King.

I'd SO looked forward to reading both and saved them for a period of time when I could " selfishly " devote hours in which to devour them.

Sadly, they were both serious failures IMO. 

The former contained page after page of transcripts of online conversations between numerous characters which were tedious & often confusing to read. I was determined not to give up in my pursuit of the plot developing satisfactorily ...but was disappointed. Stick to HP type fiction, JKR , would be my advice.

The latter was a huge let down. I've stated before how much I enjoyed SK's earlier classics such as Salem's Lot & It - real page turners, albeit with accompanying shivers down the spine. My "Stand"  out favourite author for many years is in need of a blockbuster to convince me that he still has what it takes to keep me interested, I'm afraid. Fairy Tale was one big yawn, I'm afraid. 

So, I'm on the look out for suggestions to help keep Fanny happy.... :)

• Options
    IdleHans said:
    Currently close to finishing The Salt Path by Raynor Winn. It's the account of a middle aged couple, one of whom has a terminal diagnosis and who have lost everything, undertaking the southwest coast path with next to no money and poor camping gear. A part of the country I am fairly familiar with, it's been an interesting read, with descriptions of life on the margins. Very readable. 
    I absolutely hated that book!

Think I reviewed it a few pages back saying how badly I thought she came across etc.

Just goes to show, one man's trash, another man's treasure!
  • Options

I'd SO looked forward to reading both and saved them for a period of time when I could " selfishly " devote hours in which to devour them.

The former contained page after page of transcripts of online conversations between numerous characters which were tedious & often confusing to read. I was determined not to give up in my pursuit of the plot developing satisfactorily ...but was disappointed. Stick to HP type fiction, JKR , would be my advice.

The latter was a huge let down. I've stated before how much I enjoyed SK's earlier classics such as Salem's Lot & It - real page turners, albeit with accompanying shivers down the spine. My "Stand"  out favourite author for many years is in need of a blockbuster to convince me that he still has what it takes to keep me interested, I'm afraid. Fairy Tale was one big yawn, I'm afraid. 

Ink Black Heart was definitely the worst of the Strike series for me, weird with it being sandwiched between the best one (Troubled Blood) and the Running Grave, which I thought was very good too.

As you say, the online conversation pages were dull, and I didn't think the reveal really did much beyond "ah ok, it was that person", when normally I find Rowling's twists really good - the clues were there if you spot them, but normally you don't.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

Think I reviewed it a few pages back saying how badly I thought she came across etc.

I'm with you but I think we are in a minority...
  • Options
    Jints said:
    IdleHans said:

Yeah I see so many reviews for it saying it's inspiring and uplifting, I genuinely don't get what's inspiring about them refusing to get a job like everyone else in life, deciding to go hiking instead living off benefits they weren't entitled to.  Whilst being rude to everyone, stealing, and somehow still looking down and judging everyone else.

But as you say, definitely in the minority that saw it that way!
  • Options
    edited January 4
    Apparently they're making a film out of the Salt Path with Gillian Anderson and Jason Isaacs.  Which weirdly, despite hating the book, I'd probably watch - with a good scriptwriter it could be alright, and that's a good cast.

Could imagine it being a bit like the Harold Fry film.
  • Options

Fairytale is the first, and only SK book I have read to date. It started well but became so bizarre as it went on.
  • Options

Bugger, among the Christmas presents was Ink Black Heart, I too have been looking forward to it, not so much now. Sounds like a bit of note taking might be in order to keep up with the plot? Having read all the others, I assume that the backgound story of Strike and Robin moves along, so will need to stick it out to follow that? 
  • Options
    I’ve just finished reading Mythos by Stephen Fry. An introduction into Greek mythology. It’s a wonderful and a very interesting read. Highly recommended!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I enjoyed ink black heart, but thought it overlong
  • Options
    Jints said:
    IdleHans said:

Yeah I see so many reviews for it saying it's inspiring and uplifting, I genuinely don't get what's inspiring about them refusing to get a job like everyone else in life, deciding to go hiking instead living off benefits they weren't entitled to.  Whilst being rude to everyone, stealing, and somehow still looking down and judging everyone else.

I can see why people wouldn't love it. It's very short on humour, and a bit self-pitying. It's the geography that I found most enjoyable. I've got through it in about four short stints before falling asleep.
  • Options
    edited January 5
    cafc4life said:

Fairytale is the first, and only SK book I have read to date. It started well but became so bizarre as it went on.
    Agree with this, love SK and this book was great initially, building up to the point at which the main character finds his way to the 'fairy tale' part of the story, at which point the story just loses it's way and became boring, bizarre, repetitive and overly long, in equal measure. Such a disappointment! (I read that a film is underway, which I'd be interested to watch if only to see if it captivates me more than the book).

My favourite SK book is actually not one of his horror ones - 11/22/63 - about a time traveller who attempts to prevent the assassination of JFK (similar in many ways to Fairy Tale except in my view it maintains the captivating first half throughout - I'd recommend @cafc4life!).
  • Options

Bugger, among the Christmas presents was Ink Black Heart, I too have been looking forward to it, not so much now. Sounds like a bit of note taking might be in order to keep up with the plot? Having read all the others, I assume that the backgound story of Strike and Robin moves along, so will need to stick it out to follow that? 
    It's not awful or anything, just the weakest one in the series and frustrating at times.

Still worth a read.  Pat is great in it, for a start.
  • Options
    Just finished The Autumn of light,by Ken Follett,this is the 5th book in the Kingsbridge series,and is just as compulsive as the previous 4 .How this man takes a rather mundane subject,in this case the Weaving and fabric trade and turns it into a page turning epic is beyond comprehension,but he does it every time,the guy is in a class of his own.
    Good to hear. Have just started reading The Pillars of the Earth and already know I am going to like the Kingsbridge series.
    You will love it,give yourself plenty of time,all the books are 1000 pages plus and compulsive reading.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    IdleHans said:

Quite a bit of controversy about whether this book is accurate and honest. Check out all the  1 star reviews on Amazon for a flavour.
  • Options
    Fiction
    1. Free Love - Tessa Hadley
    2. A visit from the goon squad - Jennifer Egan 
    3. Lucy by the sea - Elizabeth Strout

Non fiction 
    1. Set the boy free - Johnny Marr
    2.A Girl’s Story - Annie Ernaux
    3. The Sound of being human - Jude Rogers
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Agree with this, love SK and this book was great initially, building up to the point at which the main character finds his way to the 'fairy tale' part of the story, at which point the story just loses it's way and became boring, bizarre, repetitive and overly long, in equal measure. Such a disappointment! (I read that a film is underway, which I'd be interested to watch if only to see if it captivates me more than the book).

My favourite SK book is actually not one of his horror ones - 11/22/63 - about a time traveller who attempts to prevent the assassination of JFK (similar in many ways to Fairy Tale except in my view it maintains the captivating first half throughout - I'd recommend @cafc4life!).
    I liked Fairy Tale, it has elements of two of my favourite authors, Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker.  

Not his best, but still fine.  
  • Options
    Just finished "The New Rulers of the World" by John Pilger. Very enlightening, well researched and I'd challenge anyone to read this and not feel a mixture of anger, sadness and possibly some guilt. He writes about the Western influences in Indonesia, Iraq and also the treatment of Aboriginees in Australia. Highlights how hypocrital the West in and some of the atrocities our Governments have been involved in. Really recommend 
  • Options
    Fearful Symmetry - a Study of William Blake by Northrop Frye.

Only just started but I’m already thinking this may be a difficult read:( and Northrop, what a name. I bet he was happy when his parents named him that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Frye is a very difficult Canadian indeed! Tried reading The Great Code many years ago and couldn't get through it. Has always bothered me. Bon courage!
  • Options
    Frye is a very difficult Canadian indeed! Tried reading The Great Code many years ago and couldn't get through it. Has always bothered me. Bon courage!
    I can be a stubborn MF but at the same time while I might get through it, it could take some time and I may have no recollection of what I’ve just read. @blackheathcanuck
  • Options
    Started on Emperor of Rome by Mary Beard. I really enjoy her writing.

On another note, I saw the trailer for the Three Body Problem that's coming to Netflix at some point this year. I loved the books and i know some in this thread did too, but not sure how adaptable the books are to TV, especially the third one. Out of all of them, the first one is probably the easiest to get on screen. There's a lot of mind bending stuff in there that I hope they keep in. 
  • Options

On another note, I saw the trailer for the Three Body Problem that's coming to Netflix at some point this year. I loved the books and i know some in this thread did too, but not sure how adaptable the books are to TV, especially the third one. Out of all of them, the first one is probably the easiest to get on screen. There's a lot of mind bending stuff in there that I hope they keep in. 
    Yes, I saw that this is coming out in Spring/early Summer. It's such a complex plot, I wonder how they will do it justice but good luck to them. I wonder if they will soft pedal on the depravities of the cultural revolution in the early parts of the first book in order to sell to China. 

Also looking forward ro the Beard book and also Pax by Tom Holland. Haven't read much on Rome for a few years.
  • Options
    Just finished Project Hail Mary. A slight drag in the second act and probably could've been about 1/4 shorter, but otherwise really good. Incredible science that is spoon fed nice and easy. 

Also read Pachinko. Another one that's about 1/3rd too long (maybe this is a problem with my shortening attention span rather than the books). A great saga told over 100 years of a Korean family forced to move to Japan. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Just finished Project Hail Mary. A slight drag in the second act and probably could've been about 1/4 shorter, but otherwise really good. Incredible science that is spoon fed nice and easy. 

Also read Pachinko. Another one that's about 1/3rd too long (maybe this is a problem with my shortening attention span rather than the books). A great saga told over 100 years of a Korean family forced to move to Japan. 

Loved Project Hail Mary, Rocky is such a good character.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Yes, I saw that this is coming out in Spring/early Summer. It's such a complex plot, I wonder how they will do it justice but good luck to them. I wonder if they will soft pedal on the depravities of the cultural revolution in the early parts of the first book in order to sell to China. 

Also looking forward ro the Beard book and also Pax by Tom Holland. Haven't read much on Rome for a few years.
    There was another adaptation of the books released a few years back that was Chinese and apparently very faithful to the books and reading the synopsis of some of the episodes on IMDB, they seemed to cover the cultural revolution as per the books. Also the book itself sold very well in China so I can't see why they should soft pedal. Tbh I don't have a lot of hope for the series but it was created by the two guys that created Game of Thrones and they adapted the first GoT books very well so I could be surprised. 

I'm not super far into Emperor of Rome but the way she writes is engaging and easy to follow. The Emperor series by Conn Iggulden is also fantastic Roman historical-fiction if you wanted something that wasn't non-fiction. As with all good historical fiction, the truth is bent a lot to make a good story. 
  • Options
    Red Snow by Will Dean. The second Tuva Moodyson novel after Dark Pines. Set in the same small town in darkest northern Sweden as the first, I found it a little bit disappointing to be honest. Not awful by any means, but it took a lot longer to become a page turner than the first. With a lot of description that feels like it goes over the same ground as Dark Pines, it is over long and takes a long time to get "busy". There are only so many times you can describe how cold and bleak things are in northern Sweden in the depths of winter. However, it does leave you wanting to know more about Tuva and her future, so I will get the third novel, but if it is more like Red Snow than Dark Pines, I probably wouldn't go any further into the series.  
  • Options

Halfway through Ink Black Heart and I think it’s excellent … have no problem with the ‘transcripts’ as they add to the story.  
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Halfway through Ink Black Heart and I think it’s excellent … have no problem with the ‘transcripts’ as they add to the story.  
    my least favourite of the series so far but still excellent and original from the Harry Potter Genius