Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Just ordered a copy of "sunshine cruise company" off the back of these reviews. Not read any John Niven but always good to try a new author! The funniest book I've read has to be "incompetance" by Rob Grant, if anyone wants a recommendation in return 
    I think that's his most accessible entry level book but once you have done that one you have a treat getting to know Stelfox
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Had a bit of a poor run on books, nothing that bad but all 6, 7 out of 10 types.

Then 3 out of the last 4 I've read have been really good (the 4th was a solid 7/10).

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, about two kids making video games but also about their friendship, and growing up etc.  Really gentle and lovely.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (who wrote The Martian), the audiobook is fantastic.

And the Impossible Creatures by Katherine Rundell - new fantasy YA novel set in a hidden part of the world where magic, dragons, centaurs etc still exist.  Bit like a modern Narnia.  Set to be a bit a modern kids classic in my opinion, a bit like His Dark Materials - could see it being a film or series in a few years' time.

• Options
    Had a bit of a poor run on books, nothing that bad but all 6, 7 out of 10 types.

Then 3 out of the last 4 I've read have been really good (the 4th was a solid 7/10).

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin, about two kids making video games but also about their friendship, and growing up etc.  Really gentle and lovely.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (who wrote The Martian), the audiobook is fantastic.

And the Impossible Creatures by Katherine Rundell - new fantasy YA novel set in a hidden part of the world where magic, dragons, centaurs etc still exist.  Bit like a modern Narnia.  Set to be a bit a modern kids classic in my opinion, a bit like His Dark Materials - could see it being a film or series in a few years' time.

I don't usually read YA novels but there is a huge amount of hype about that one. 
  • Options
    It's very good - not surprised if Bloomsbury are really going for the promotion on it as it could be a big money spinner for them if it ends up being picked up for a TV series or a film.

I've not read any of her others but realised they're on Libby so will likely have a look - read this one woth my eldest and she loved it too so will see if she wants to pick one!
  • Options
    The Dark Hours - Michael Connelly. Two Bosch/Ballard books in a row! Ballard is on the trail of a pair of rapists, and also gets involved in a covering a murder during New Years Eve celebrations. Bosch uncovers a tenuous and an unlikely link with a cold case, and the game's afoot...

Usual quality read, with twists and turns a-plenty.    
  • Options
    Just finished reading the three body problem by Cixin Liu. Honestly one of the best sci fi books I've ever read and would recommend it to anyone. Now just waiting on the sequel to arrive
  • Options
    'Holly' .. Stephen King .. fourth in the 'Finders Keepers' series from the master (started with Mr Mercedes) .. superbly written and as gruesome in parts as you'd expect 
  • Options
    follett said:
    Just finished reading the three body problem by Cixin Liu. Honestly one of the best sci fi books I've ever read and would recommend it to anyone. Now just waiting on the sequel to arrive

Series gets better. It's kind of amazing really. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone though, it's not exactly a beach read. You have to make an effort.
  • Options
    follett said:
    Just re-read your post. You don't have to wait. The sequel and the third book were both published quite a while ago
  • Options
    Just about to start Lady Joker by Kaoru Takamara
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sunshine Cruise Company was hilarious... change if pace now with "My sister the serial killer"
  • Options
    Jints said:
    follett said:
    Just re-read your post. You don't have to wait. The sequel and the third book were both published quite a while ago
    I meant waiting for it to arrive in the post haha, looking forward to getting stuck in.

There's also a Netflix series coming in 2024 from the creators of Game of Thrones which could be exciting if done well!
  • Options
    Tea Leaves
  • Options
    Home Stretch by Graham Norton. I had seen the TV adaptation of his novel, "Holding" and enjoyed it. This is different but definitely a great read, I really found it hard to put down. Initially set in rural Cork, a car crash on the eve of a wedding in 1987 leaves three young people dead. Connor, the driver of the car finds himself ostracised by locals, and is packed off to work as a Labourer in Liverpool as the little village tries to come to terms with the tragedy. The book moves forward through time to more or less the present day following Connor's story at various intervals throughout the intervening years, and that of those left behind in the village. It is compelling and an interesting study of the rapid changes in Ireland over the past three decades.     
  • Options
    Home Stretch by Graham Norton. I had seen the TV adaptation of his novel, "Holding" and enjoyed it. This is different but definitely a great read, I really found it hard to put down. Initially set in rural Cork, a car crash on the eve of a wedding in 1987 leaves three young people dead. Connor, the driver of the car finds himself ostracised by locals, and is packed off to work as a Labourer in Liverpool as the little village tries to come to terms with the tragedy. The book moves forward through time to more or less the present day following Connor's story at various intervals throughout the intervening years, and that of those left behind in the village. It is compelling and an interesting study of the rapid changes in Ireland over the past three decades.     
    Agreed, it’s a great book 
  • Options
    Getting through all the asimov books atm, rest most of the foundation books, just on the third robot one. Not sure why it took me so long to read this stuff
  • Options
    Foundation is a great series
  • Options
    Thinking about classic sci-fi, might revisit the 2001 Arthur c Clarke series. Really enjoyed those
  • Options
    Just coming to the end of Geoff Dyer’s The Last Days of Roger Federer. Interesting read, covers a wide amount of bases.
  • Options
    Just coming to the end of Geoff Dyer’s The Last Days of Roger Federer. Interesting read, covers a wide amount of baselines.
    Fixed that for you Evesham...  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    Thinking about classic sci-fi, might revisit the 2001 Arthur c Clarke series. Really enjoyed those
    If you've not read at least the first two Hyperion books I would defo recommend them. They are brilliant
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    If you've not read at least the first two Hyperion books I would defo recommend them. They are brilliant
    Seconded. I liked all four though some people are less keen on the second two. Illium is also excellent as is pretty much everything Dan Simmonds does
  • Options
    Just had the new Galbraith/Rowling/Strike book delivered .. the series get fatter and heavier, this weighs in at 945 pages ! .. make sure I don't drop it on my feet .. will be starting it very soon

Generally .. been reading more Donna Leon Venice themed cops & villains books, love them .. 

Discovered a new what might be termed 'southern backwoods crime' series by Chris Offutt .. James Lee Burke meets Michael Connelly(ish) lol .. excellent start, just what I like, rural US whodunnits

Good reading y'all 
  • Options
    Just had the new Galbraith/Rowling/Strike book delivered .. the series get fatter and heavier, this weighs in at 945 pages ! .. make sure I don't drop it on my feet .. will be starting it very soon

Just received mine too! 
  • Options
    Would rather buy )atest Galbraith from a local book shop, but might get it on Amazon for £12.50 rather than £25. Anyway, got a load of other books to read in the meantime so prepared to wait for the paperback/second hand (really really want it read it though, IBH was quality)
  • Options
    I generally enjoy Robert Goddard stories and the one I'm reading at present (Fault Line) is no exception. 

As usual there is a long timeline.  The lead character is gradually unravelling the cause of mysterious events that had touched his early life.  Some 40 years later he may be getting close to the answers. I am intrigued and can't wait to see how this story resolves itself. 
  • Options
    Think I've got the last 3 Strike books on Audible to save me lugging it around!!

Robert Glenister reads them really well too.
  • Options
    Just read Jojo Finally Home in three hours (thanks to Storm Agnes).

Won’t be up everyone’s strasse but if you’re a fan of Strictly and you love Johannes, go for it. 

It doesn’t disappoint ♥️
  • Options
    Now onto Elizabeth Strout’s Lucy by the Sea. Best known for her Olive Kitteridge books, Strout is a marvellous writer, and this one, which is set during the pandemic, is really excellent.
  • Options
    The much recommended KIll Your Friends by John Niven. The tale of a right c***, the sort of bloke who thinks Boris Johson is a laugh. But despite hating him, somehow I ended up rooting for him at the end. It is a good read, as long as the person reading it doesn't see the (anti)hero as a role model...  :D