Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Just finished a marriage portrait by Maggie O’Farrell, strongly recommend 
  • Options
    Classic French Cooking .. Elisabeth Luard .. MasterChef here I come !!
  • Options
    Portnoys complaint - Philip Roth. Birthday present from my boss. Very funny so far... Seems Ive been missing out on a classic author 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Portnoys complaint - Philip Roth. Birthday present from my boss. Very funny so far... Seems Ive been missing out on a classic author 
    Operation Shylock is very good too.
  • Options
    About half way through The Talented Mr Ripley. Marvellous stuff.
  • Options
    Rack, Ruin and Murder - Anne Granger. The second Campbell and Carter mystery. A body is discovered in a tumbledown mansion owned by the last in the line of a once rich family, who is now hardly able to look after himself and veering towards alcoholism. The usual cosy Cotswolds setting hides a network of present day intrigue and long buried secrets. A nice easy read, with a decent plot and a twist that you only see coming at the last minute.      
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Finished Project Hail Mary. A slight drag with the science in the second act but otherwise interesting and entertaining read. 

Also The Wager, the true story of a ship that set off from Deptford in the 1700s. Disaster strikes, they're shipwrecked and different factions emerge... The survivors find themselves in a court martial, and have different stories of who was to blame. Fascinating. 

Becoming by Michelle Obama. Tepid, tame and unrevealing. 

Strong Female Character by Fern Brady. Shocking, sad but very often hilarious story of growing up as an undiagnosed autistic girl in working-class Scotland. Really enjoyed. 

And What My Bones Know. Probably the best and most moving book I've read on trauma and recovery. 
    Just read the Wager, it,s the type of book that floats my boat or not in this case! 
    Really enjoyed it, and smashed it in a few days.

I have just finished The Sledge Patrol ( David Howarth) true story of the resistance against  a small German foothold on Greenland during the 2nd WW.
  • Options
    SE_7EVEN said:
    Chunes said:
    Finished Project Hail Mary. A slight drag with the science in the second act but otherwise interesting and entertaining read. 

Also The Wager, the true story of a ship that set off from Deptford in the 1700s. Disaster strikes, they're shipwrecked and different factions emerge... The survivors find themselves in a court martial, and have different stories of who was to blame. Fascinating. 

Becoming by Michelle Obama. Tepid, tame and unrevealing. 

Strong Female Character by Fern Brady. Shocking, sad but very often hilarious story of growing up as an undiagnosed autistic girl in working-class Scotland. Really enjoyed. 

And What My Bones Know. Probably the best and most moving book I've read on trauma and recovery. 
    Just read the Wager, it,s the type of book that floats my boat or not in this case! 
    Really enjoyed it, and smashed it in a few days.
    I love a shipwreck story too. If you haven't read In The Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philibrick already, it's absolutely brilliant. (Don't be out off by the awful movie adaption). 
  • Options
    The Winner David Baldacci,really great read if a little far fetched.
    Baldacci far fetched?  No, really?
    We all need a little bit of fantasy in our life and authors like Baldacci provide it,also just finished his "Law of innocence",a Lincoln Lawyer novel,really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    We all need a little bit of fantasy in our life and authors like Baldacci provide it,also just finished his "Law of innocence",a Lincoln Lawyer novel,really enjoyed it.
    Lincoln Lawyer is Michael Connelly, surely, t&t? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    certainly is
  • Options
    certainly is
    A very senior moment,of course it is.
  • Options
    Some way through Unruly, a history lesson on the English monarchy from earliest times  written by David Mitchell.  You only need a passing interest in history to enjoy the witty anecdotes that can make you laugh while being educated on obscure Anglo Saxon history. If only history was taught like this at school.

• Options
    Some way through Unruly, a history lesson on the English monarchy from earliest times  written by David Mitchell.  You only need a passing interest in history to enjoy the witty anecdotes that can make you laugh while being educated on obscure Anglo Saxon history. If only history was taught like this at school.

One of the best books I read last year - as you say, really accessible and funny.
  • Options
    About half way through Crime and Punishment. Not sure why I started but going to finish... Did tell myself I'll read War and Peace after this but I think that's a no go... 
  • Options
    About half way through Crime and Punishment. Not sure why I started but going to finish... Did tell myself I'll read War and Peace after this but I think that's a no go... 
    I started this a while back, gave up after 50 pages .. should have learnt my lesson, no so called 'classic' I have ever read has really resonated with me
  • Options
    The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov are must reads, along with The Double.
  • Options
    Reach for the Sky. Bader was remarkable. 

Cheshire VC. The bloke who took over 617 Squadron after Guy Gibson bought it. Flew 100 sorties, so statistically should have died four times, then went to the Pacific to observe the bomb on Nagasaki, which changed his outlook on war.

Now on Operation Mincemeat, the story of the man who never was. 
  • Options

Cheshire VC. The bloke who took over 617 Squadron after Guy Gibson bought it. Flew 100 sorties, so statistically should have died four times, then went to the Pacific to observe the bomb on Nagasaki, which changed his outlook on war.

Have you read The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann? Frenchman who flew with the RAF during WW2. Excellent book.
  • Options
    War and peace is much more readable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 16
    Jints said:
    War and peace is much more readable. 
    I think I'd struggle with it as i've read that each character has multiple names and I think I'd get a bit lost. Also the length of it does seem a bit of a mountain on its own! It's on my kindle anyway, got it for free from the Gutenberg Project so might give it a go at some point.

The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov are must reads, along with The Double.
    Yeah The Idiot and The Brothers Karamazov are also on my list of books to read at some point - might have to look at the The Double next though as it seems to be a lot shorter.

Although might go back to the 99p Kindle detective mystery books to reset my brain a bit after reading Crime and Punishment  :p

My struggles might also be down to the translation! 
  • Options

Have you read The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann? Frenchman who flew with the RAF during WW2. Excellent book.
    I haven’t but I will now. 
  • Options
    Morality for Beautiful Girls - Alexander McCall Smith. The third of the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I really enjoy these books - not hardhitting or cutting edge, but gently amusing and written with such affection and love for Africa, Alexander McCall Smith is an incredibly perceptive author. In this one the crimes are almost an aside to the problems Ms. Ramotswe's fiance is having and her secretary turned "assistant detective" stepping up to the plate to help out. The intertwined stories flow beautifully, and you find yourself engaged with all the characters, caring about their lives and their future.          
  • Options
    Listening to The Stars‘ Tennis Balls by Stephen Fry. 
  • Options
    Just finished The Running Grave, Robert Galbraith, spending hours reading it each day.  

It’s the best yet, and even though nearly 1000 pages long, it left me wanting more.  

Wholly recommended.  Just be prepared to lose a few days!
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Just finished The Running Grave, Robert Galbraith, spending hours reading it each day.  

It’s the best yet, and even though nearly 1000 pages long, it left me wanting more.  

Wholly recommended.  Just be prepared to lose a few days!
    Sounds like one for my "To read" list.
  • Options
    Reading Cormac McCarthy's Suttree. Heard for years he is brilliant but hard going. It's true. Not given up yet.
  • Options
    Reading Lonesome Dove. Epic western by Larry McMurty. Very very good.