Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Oscar and Lucinda (1988) - Peter Carey
    Set in 19th century Australia, this tells of the unacknowledged love between an eccentric English clergyman and an Australian heiress, both of whom are compulsive gamblers and social misfits. The novel is quite a slow burner and the protagonists don't meet until about halfway through its 500 odd pages. Whilst it is exceptionally well written, particularly in Carey's descriptions and character construction, it didn't quite do it for me - albeit that this may, in part, reflect the fact that my reading of it was a little fragmented. Critically acclaimed, it won the 1988 Booker Prize and was shortlisted for 'The Best of The Booker.'

Portnoy's Complaint (1969) - Philip Roth
    Extremely amusing New York Jewish humour, as the narrator, the neurotic Portnoy, tells his psychoanalyst all about relationship with his overbearing mother, his compulsive masturbatory habits as a young teen (including the use of props) and his later sexual relationships with young women. Its frankness caused a lot of controversy at the end of the 1960s and it became an instant best seller. A very fine and exceptionally funny novel - recommended.

Rabbit Is Rich (1981) - John Updike
    The third novel in John Updike's quartet, looking at the life of Harry 'Rabbit' Angstrom over four decades. This one is set in 1979 at the time of the oil crisis, by which time Harry has reached 'paunchy' middle age and is running a Toyota dealership that he inherited from his late father-in-law in the decaying industrial town of Brewer, Pennsylvania. He is doing well but still has issues with his life and relationships, including with his wife, their friends at the golf and country club and, in particular, with his son, who has dropped out of college. Superbly written and a great window into American life, it won the 1982 Pullitzer Prize for Fiction - recommended.

The Sense of an Ending (2011) - Julian Barnes
    The narrator, a retired and divorced man in his 60s, looks ruefully back on his relationships with his group of school friends and a former lover when his past catches up with him and his life takes an unexpected turn. it is a compact (150 pages), interesting and very readable novel, which looks at underlying themes of ageing and regret. Winner of the 2011 Booker Prize.
  • Options
    Reading "Titus Groan" by Mervyn Peake. He's a proper wordsmith.
  • Options
    Just finished a couple of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels. Good for the style if book, but a bit samey so will leave it a while before reading another.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Andrea Pirlo's book was enjoyable but not exactly an autobiography. It's more his take on certain people, events, notions with some stories thrown in. My highlight was their relentless abuse of Rino Gattuso, so bad that he'd actually stab people with forks then they'd miss fixtures. It's very short but cheap and easy going.

Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy was a contrast. Like much of his other stuff it's a brooding, brutal and depraved book. The story is built around a pair of incestuous hillbillies, one of whom abandons their baby while the other goes to search for it. I liked it but it's the weakest I've read of McCarthy's novels.

I then read On The Beach by Nevil Shute. It's about southern Australians waiting on a radioactive cloud to spread from the north, a war having already wiped out Europe, America, etc. Interesting and thoughtful but not the bludgeoning, desperate story that I was hoping for.

I'm now on Fight Club as it's something I probably should have read by now. I've seen the film a few times, I'm just up to where the narrator and Tyler have their first fight.
  • Options
    Mr Penumbra's 24-hour bookstore - Robin Sloan

Absolutely brilliant
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    "Silent Compassion" by Richard Rohr. 71 pages of sheer genius by a renowned Franciscan.
    Should be compulsory reading for every one of my fellow Catholics, indeed every Christian, as an explanation of how and why organised Christian religion (including the Roman Catholic Church) came increasingly to miss the point and went awry over the centuries.
    This - as are all of his numerous books - is about what spirituality really is and IMHO could/should be of interest to those with any degree of religious conviction, those that have given up on organised religion, agnostics and, indeed, atheists alike.
    Not all religious folk are dogmatic reactionaries or new age hippies.
  • Options
    I am reading Mark Billingham's Scaredy Cat, first one of his crime thrillers I have read - brilliant and compelling read.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Andrea Pirlo's book was enjoyable but not exactly an autobiography. It's more his take on certain people, events, notions with some stories thrown in. My highlight was their relentless abuse of Rino Gattuso, so bad that he'd actually stab people with forks then they'd miss fixtures. It's very short but cheap and easy going.

Outer Dark by Cormac McCarthy was a contrast. Like much of his other stuff it's a brooding, brutal and depraved book. The story is built around a pair of incestuous hillbillies, one of whom abandons their baby while the other goes to search for it. I liked it but it's the weakest I've read of McCarthy's novels.

I then read On The Beach by Nevil Shute. It's about southern Australians waiting on a radioactive cloud to spread from the north, a war having already wiped out Europe, America, etc. Interesting and thoughtful but not the bludgeoning, desperate story that I was hoping for.

I'm now on Fight Club as it's something I probably should have read by now. I've seen the film a few times, I'm just up to where the narrator and Tyler have their first fight.

Just read Pirlo 's book too, as you say very short but pretty good, I loved his absolute hatred for man markers. Came across as a decent bloke though.

Trying to decide on the next one, between 'Force Benedict' or 'The Truth About the Harry Cubair Affair', can't decide if I fancy fiction or non-fiction.
  • Options
    'The Finkler Question' (2010) by Howard Jacobson
    This concerns the relationship between two old school friends - one a failed BBC producer, the other a successful Jewish philosopher, writer and media personality - and their former school teacher, a charming old Jewish guy from the Czech Republic. It looks at, amongst other things, middle-class London Jewish life and anti-semitism.

It is cleverly written in parts - perhaps a little too 'clever' because, for me, it became self-indulgent and a veered towards a 'writer's conceit.' The storyline drifted away and I found myself losing interest in, and empathy for, the principal characters. This novel won the Booker Prize but I found it disappointing.

The Siege of Krishnapur (1973) by J.G. Farrell
    Inspired by real-life testimonies and diaries prepared at the time of the rebellion of native Indian soldiers in 1857, this novel tells the story of the siege of a British residency and garrison in a fictional remote town in northern India. The events shake the British residents, officials and soldiers out of their complacency and we see how the various characters in the community try to cope with, and begin to wilt under, the remorseless siege over a four month period.

It is a very strong and, at times, tense story (albeit laced with some humour) and there are many vividly created and very engaging characters. The novel also reflects the values which prevailed amongst mid-19th century colonials, including extreme class-consciousness and their perceived moral superiority and 'civilising' influence on the indigenous population.

A very fine and entertaining historical novel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blucher said:

'The Finkler Question' (2010) by Howard Jacobson
    This concerns the relationship between two old school friends - one a failed BBC producer, the other a successful Jewish philosopher, writer and media personality - and their former school teacher, a charming old Jewish guy from the Czech Republic. It looks at, amongst other things, middle-class London Jewish life and anti-semitism.

It is cleverly written in parts - perhaps a little too 'clever' because, for me, it became self-indulgent and a veered towards a 'writer's conceit.' The storyline drifted away and I found myself losing interest in, and empathy for, the principal characters. This novel won the Booker Prize but I found it disappointing.

Inspired by real-life testimonies and diaries prepared at the time of the rebellion of native Indian soldiers in 1857, this novel tells the story of the siege of a British residency and garrison in a fictional remote town in northern India. The events shake the British residents, officials and soldiers out of their complacency and we see how the various characters in the community try to cope with, and begin to wilt under, the remorseless siege over a four month period.

It is a very strong and, at times, tense story (albeit laced with some humour) and there are many vividly created and very engaging characters. The novel also reflects the values which prevailed amongst mid-19th century colonials, including extreme class-consciousness and their perceived moral superiority and 'civilising' influence on the indigenous population.

A very fine and entertaining historical novel.

Entirely agree with you about 'The Finkler Question', Blucher. I couldn't get into it, couldn't warm to the characters, partly because of Jacobson's rather self-important style of writing.

Am embarking on Ian McEwan's 'Enduring Love' - certainly a thoroughly gripping and suspenseful opening few chapters.

• Options
    @Viewfinder‌ - the thought did cross my mind that, at least in parts, Jacobson might be having a bit of private joke at his readers' expense.

I can't remember now if I've read 'Enduring Love' but my wife has all of McEwan's novels, so I'll check that one out some time.
  • Options
    slaughterhouse 5 - kurt vonnegut
  • Options
    I hated the Finkletr Question and couldn't believe it won the Booker.

Enduring Love starts with the run (float) away balloon. It's often cited as a brilliant opening chapter. If you can't remember it you probably haven't read it. I've read most of McEwan's and Enduring Love is probably my favourite.

Highly recommend "The Son" by Phillip Meyer, a brilliant epic set in Texas over several generations of ranchers/oil men and women.

• Options
    Fight Club was brilliant, it’s quickly worked its way up among my favourite books. The film does hold up well to it though, there aren’t many amendments.

I then read Philip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle. It’s based in a world where the Nazis won WW2, it wasn’t a bad read but it took me ages and was more character driven than about the wider world.

I’m now on a trashy novel as I wanted something quick and easy, S. J. Watson’s Before I Go To Sleep. It is trashy and it’s not written particularly well, I’m finding myself skim reading pages and I’m not missing anything. The story involves a woman with amnesia and sleeping voids her memory so each day she has to rebuild herself.
  • Options
    Battle for the Valley 2014 Edition
  • Options
    The ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman. It takes me ages to pick up a new Gaiman. book because I like his writing so much I'm scared I'll be disappointed. I'm about 50 pages in and I know I shouldn't have been worried.
  • Options
    Red or Dead by David Peace who also wrote The Damned United.

Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano
  • Options
    Blucher said:

all his books are great ... unfortuntately, there are all too few of them
  • Options
    Primo Levi - Mirror Maker
    some great short stories but also quite a bit of nonsense filling out the pages, worth the read for the gems though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    pretending to read " thus spoke zarathustra " by nietzsche.
  • Options
    "The Great Divorce". CS Lewis' short and engaging vision of the afterlife and the potential for redemption for all on the other side of the grave.................even for Fred and David Luiz :o)
  • Options
    Le Morte Darthur by Sir Thomas Malory... Just 700 pages to go!
  • Options

I am reading Mark Billingham's Scaredy Cat, first one of his crime thrillers I have read - brilliant and compelling read.

Finished the book. Billingham is worthy of the hype. If you like a crime thriller I can recommend it.
  • Options
    the bell jar - sylvia plath
  • Options

Finished the book. Billingham is worthy of the hype. If you like a crime thriller I can recommend it.
    Might give him a try, AA. Thanks for the tip.

• Options

How does he compare with RJ Ellory, who I like very much?
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

How does he compare with RJ Ellory, who I like very much?
    Not read any - I shall look out for him...
  • Options
    Just read 'Of Mice and Men'. I only read it because I knew Michael Gove disapproved of such writing. It was a very good read, so I suppose I have to be thankful to the silly little twerp for something.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Just finished Flight Behavior by Barbera Kingsolver, it took me a while to settle into it, as the hillbilly names and conversations are hard going at first. But it turns into a brilliant story exploring locality, community, the environment, and relationsips, shes a great writer and the story keeps you page turning.