Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    Just finished "A short history of Islam", interesting, though a bit chewy in the middle when it got a big bogged down. Recently finished "Of Mice and Men", the Great Gatsby" and "Things Fall Apart" by Chinua Anichebe. Recommended. About to read "Matamorphosis" by Kafka.
  • Options
    The Goldfinch (Donna Tartt) - a good story and very well written, although, for me, maybe a little too long at around 780 pages. Won the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction but I didn't enjoy it as much as her debut novel, The Secret History.
  • Options
    Pers Petterson - Its fine be me
    A very honest stark and poetic coming of age novel. Quite gritty for a norwegian novel.
  • Options
    Wire in the Blood by Val McDermid. Gripping stuff, though oddly never made into one of the TV versions of her stories, despite using the title for the whole series...
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Harry's War

The Great War Diaries Of Harry Drinkwater

Covers his experiences from joining up through to the end of the War. He revisited his diaries in the twenties, a few years after the War, and wrote some reflective comments which are equally interesting.

The thing that comes through is the quiet, phlegmatic courage and understatement which appeared to be almost universal whether discussing the sheer routine mundanity of long hours with not much happening or the sheer horror of attacking and being attacked.

He rescued someone who was buried alive and met him not long after the War and said he seemed a bit 'nervy.' A number of what he calls the 'old originals' were killed in action and after one death 'the rest of us' sat down and wondered 'who would be next.'

I wish I had that courage.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    in cold blood - truman capote
  • Options

A classic, read this last year, and found it very gripping.
  • Options
    Started reading "A Suitable Boy" again - about 500 pages in. I love it.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Just read 'Of Mice and Men'. I only read it because I knew Michael Gove disapproved of such writing. It was a very good read, so I suppose I have to be thankful to the silly little twerp for something.

I thought most read that in school, back in the day. It was a very enjoyable book with a lot of subtext.
  • Options
    My sojourn in English Cities by Andy Delort.

Can't remember if i picked it up in the fiction or non fiction section.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The Suspect-Michael Robotham. All his books very believable thrillers. Read it in a day.
  • Options
    Just finished Michael Asher's "High Road to Hell" (3rd Tom Caine installment & cannot wait for the 4th due in November), Linwood Barclay's "Too Close To Home" - and now reading Francis Fukuyama's "Origins of Political Order" for a little "light" reading....LOL!!!
  • Options
    PD James - Cover her Face. Having read The Murder Room last year it's a fascinating contrast in style between two books written forty years apart. Ole Phyllis has certainly moved with the times very well indeed.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Shrew said:

cafc-west said:

Dance, Dance, Dance - Haruki Murakami. Japanese surreal. Best known in the UK for IQ84.

great read, Did you read 'wild sheep chase' first as 'dance dance dance' this is the follow on.
    I recommend David Mitchell's "Number9 Dream" for a brilliant pastiche of Murakami for all HM's fans. I was an avid reader of Murakami, but thought the quality had been declining a bit. Not read IQ84 - is it worth it?
    At times 1q84 is brilliant at others hopelessly self-indulgent and you feel it is going nowhere. Ultimately though it creates a compelling and believable world. You need to invest a bit of time in it but I would recommend that investment.
  • Options
    'Burning Land', Bernard Cornwall. I've read this before but I just love Cornwall's historical fiction. Thoroughly recommend Cornwall's books for those who haven't tried any.
  • Options

A classic, read this last year, and found it very gripping.
    it is.
  • Options
    Has anyone read Iain M Banks? I liked some of his fiction. I like some Sci Fi - Asimov, Stanislaw Lem...any thoughts?
  • Options

Has anyone read Iain M Banks? I liked some of his fiction. I like some Sci Fi - Asimov, Stanislaw Lem...any thoughts?

Yes, all of his stuff. But mainly because I'm a big fan of Iain Banks. I don't normally read sci-fi but also like Philip K Dick and Kurt Vonnegut. I'd recommend Consider Phlebas and The Player of Games.
  • Options
    Has anyone read The Truth About The Harry Quebert Affair? Read half, got bored, can't be bothered with the rest but want to know who dunnit?
  • Options
    Larwood

Duncan Hamilton

William Hill Sports Biography of 2009.

It will have an obvious appeal to cricket fans but in a sense the cricket is incidental and just the catalyst for a fascinating human story of tabloid pressures on an individual before tabloids existed and the hypocrisy endemic within the Establishment as it (they) desperately tried to cover its(their) own arse (s).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    On holiday at the moment, so reading loads. Of those I have already got through, can really recommend:

The Hunters - Chris Kuzneski. Mix of fact and fiction with regard to characters & places. Fast moving, as a number of his precious books have been and a connection to another series at the end. Very enjoyable, not taxing, just right for holiday.

The Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North. A new (for me anyway) take on time travel. Harry lives his first life, dies and then starts all over again...you can guess how many times! He's one of a group but not all, like him, have perfect recall of their previous lives. He uses this knowledge to help others & himself. A very good read.

The Devil in Marshalsea - Antonia Hodgson. Really enjoyed this. Set in the 1700's in a debtor's gaol in Borough. Centres on a gentleman with gambling debts who finds his only way out is to solve a murder committed before he himself is. Based on real life individuals and places and a very engrossing read. Highly recommended.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

The Fifteen Lives of Harry August - Claire North. A new (for me anyway) take on time travel. Harry lives his first life, dies and then starts all over again...you can guess how many times! He's one of a group but not all, like him, have perfect recall of their previous lives. He uses this knowledge to help others & himself. A very good read.

Just finished this ...very good
  • Options

Iain M Banks is excellent - witty, interesting, exciting. Player of Games is probably my favourite.

Just started David Mitchell's latest.

• Options
    Rob said:

'Burning Land', Bernard Cornwall. I've read this before but I just love Cornwall's historical fiction. Thoroughly recommend Cornwall's books for those who haven't tried any.

Cheers for the reminder... His first Non-Fiction book on the Battle of Waterloo AND latest Uhtred story come out this month
  • Options
    Full of cold and a tad delirious so I decided to reread Beauty by Sherri S Tepper, great SF fantasy.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Larwood

Duncan Hamilton

William Hill Sports Biography of 2009.

It will have an obvious appeal to cricket fans but in a sense the cricket is incidental and just the catalyst for a fascinating human story of tabloid pressures on an individual before tabloids existed and the hypocrisy endemic within the Establishment as it (they) desperately tried to cover its(their) own arse (s).

"Provided you don't kiss me: 20 years with Brian Clough " by the same author is a cracking read too Len.

I am really struggling with the PD James book Cover her Face. It's so slow and plodding, I am amazed that she got a publisher for it even back in the early sixties. But someone obviously saw the talent was there somewhere...
  • Options
    http://www.bookdepository.com/Deep-Sea-Odyssey-James-Nestor/9781781250655

Surprised myself with what a really interesting read it was
  • Options
    the moons a harsh mistress - robert heinlein
  • Options
    The Roaches Have No King - Daniel Evan Weiss. Read this before, but it's just as good the second or third time around. About a bunch of cockroaches who live in a guy's apartment and the drama that plays out between them during the trials and tribulations of the guy's relationship.
  • Options

The Roaches Have No King - Daniel Evan Weiss. Read this before, but it's just as good the second or third time around. About a bunch of cockroaches who live in a guy's apartment and the drama that plays out between them during the trials and tribulations of the guy's relationship.

That sounds utterly mental! And strangely fascinating...