Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This week I have been reading

Comments

• Options
    I've read Pnin. The Luzhin Defence and Laughter in the Dark are probably my favourites.
  • Options
    Just started "The cuckoos calling" by Robert Galbraith a.k.a J K Rowling and I have to say it is pretty good, against my expectations. You would expect it to be well written but the story is plausible and moves at a good pace. My only gripe is the name of the central character Cormoron Strike.....I ask you! Joanna needs to move on from Harry Potter.
  • Options
    The Testament of Mary - Colm Tóibín was an interesting but short read. As I'm an atheist I must admit that I had the life of Brian in my head.
  • Options
    edited January 2015

'The Son'.. Jo Nesbo .. load of old Tosh but quite entertaining if you like the usual Nesbo implausible plots and mega violence ..
    As I'm laid up with a heavy cold a t m, this is a reading week .. Just started re-reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' .. will it have stood the test of time ?

Must admit I DO like a Jo Nesbo so look forward to this when it's in paperback.

I've just finished " Revival" by Stephen King following a recommendation on here. Pleasantly surprised but as with some of his previous offerings, disappointed with the end/last couple of chapters. Is it just me ?

Now starting " Mr Mercedes".

I've got 'Revival' on the shelf waiting its turn .. M. UnLung really does not like 'Mr Mercedes', I thoroughly enjoyed it but I will always give Stevie K the benefit of the doubt .. as I wrote ages ago, it's a bit different and not long winded, a sometime fault in SK's more indifferent work .. we all have differing tastes. I agree about some of SK's dodgy endings, an all too common problem with a lot of good authors nowadays, all trying too hard for a different and twisted, pacey ending ?
    Mr Mercedes has a very well written, conclusive climax. Fanny, you'll enjoy it.

As for Jo Bones, I know a lot of women who love his work (or is it Jo's dark demeanour?) and eagerly devour his every word .. females are a blood thirsty lot. Under the curls, smiles, pouts and make up; far deadlier than the male ((:>)

PS: I was jesting and generalising, I'm writing this to prevent a feminist witch hunt.
  • Options
    Hendon FC....The First 100 Years. A really good history of a famous old club.
  • Options
    Hergé's Adventures of Tintin.
  • Options

Hergé's Adventures of Tintin.

You've been reading it? We've all been living it!
  • Options

Finished "Lamentation", the 6th boyou'ren the Shardlake series the other week and I've decided to reread the series.
    I just really love the way Sansom describes life in the 16th century while managing to keep a murder mystery both interesting and surprising. There were rumours, some 7 years ago, of the BBC commissioning a TV series - apparently with Ken Branagh as Shardlake

Excellent author. Couldn't agree with you more. I have to wait til Christmas for my copy of Lamentation. I'm guessing that you've read Dominion?

No I haven't actually - but it does pop up on my kindle 'suggested titles', so I might give it a try at some point. Any good?
    Sorry, my Lord, only just seen this. I can thoroughly recommend Dominion. Sansom does the same job of making you feel that you're actually there back in the 50s as he does with Tudor times in the Shardlake series, the big difference being that this is complete fiction as it's a "what if".

Currently halfway through Lamentation - great read. Hard to put down.
    I'll give Dominion a go then EF. Cheers.
    As for the Shardlake books, I've now reread Dissolution and Dark Fire and I'm close to finishing Sovereign. I can't remember ever enjoying books on the second reading as much as I am these. Great series. (And Dissolution is probably the weakest of the lot, IMO.)
  • Options
    Linwood Barclay's "The Accident" - can't get enough of his writing, great mystery thrillers.
  • Options
    Just finished Gone Girl which quite enjoyed though wasn't so keen on the end. Not seen the film and not sure will bother reading the film thread. Just started "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini which seems like is going to be brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Just finished Gone Girl which quite enjoyed though wasn't so keen on the end. Not seen the film and not sure will bother reading the film thread. Just started "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini which seems like is going to be brilliant.

Can't say I was overly impressed with "Gone Girl" either, Donny. And def won't bother with the film.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Currently reading Schools Out Forever by Scott K Andrews post-apocylpse Lord of the Flies in a school. Brilliant.
  • Options

Currently reading Schools Out Forever by Scott K Andrews post-apocylpse Animal Farm in a school. Brilliant.

Interesting, cheers
  • Options

Can't say I was overly impressed with "Gone Girl" either, Donny. And def won't bother with the film.

I quite enjoyed the film but the book is very good
  • Options
    I quite liked Gone Girl the movie. I think if you've already read the book then the movie could be a disappointment though.
  • Options

'The Son'.. Jo Nesbo .. load of old Tosh but quite entertaining if you like the usual Nesbo implausible plots and mega violence ..
    As I'm laid up with a heavy cold a t m, this is a reading week .. Just started re-reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' .. will it have stood the test of time ?

Must admit I DO like a Jo Nesbo so look forward to this when it's in paperback.

I've just finished " Revival" by Stephen King following a recommendation on here. Pleasantly surprised but as with some of his previous offerings, disappointed with the end/last couple of chapters. Is it just me ?

Now starting " Mr Mercedes".

Mr Mercedes has a very well written, conclusive climax. Fanny, you'll enjoy it
    Agree, it's a good book
  • Options
    Currently reading I am Pilgrim. Picked it up while in England over Christmas/New Year. Nobody has heard of it in the States and nor had I. Anyway, about halfway through and enjoying it so far.
  • Options
    Rob said:

Currently reading I am Pilgrim. Picked it up while in England over Christmas/New Year. Nobody has heard of it in the States and nor had I. Anyway, about halfway through and enjoying it so far.

It's not a bad book ..understand they are making a film
  • Options
    Rob said:

Just finished "I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes. For a book that has had such good reviews and hype massively disappointing. It is very easy to read but the central character is just too good to be true and didn't think the plot was sufficiently complicated to warrant 700 odd pages. Think Dan Brown tackles biological terrorism...

Be intetested to see what you think of it @Rob. I think Terry Hayes is screenwriter primarily and it shows in ths book for me. Everything seems to be written with a view to how it's going to come across on screen rather than whether it's remotely plausible or moves the story along.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2015
    @Bournemouth Addick . I agree he does have an unusual writing style. Enjoying it at the moment though. I'll let you know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Just started reading Moon Palace by Paul Auster, enjoying it so far, its good to find an author whose written plenty who I haven't read before.
  • Options
    Anger is an Energy - John Lydon

Brilliant music autobiography
  • Options
    I’ve just finished Brighton Rock by Graham Greene. It’s set amid the gangs of Brighton in the 1930s and focuses on an up and coming hoodlum and his murderous ways. It was enjoyable but it lost its way a little.

I’ve downloaded Night by Elie Wiesel which will be harder going…

Born into a Jewish ghetto in Hungary, as a child, Elie Wiesel was sent to the Nazi concentration camps at Auschwitz and Buchenwald. This is his account of that atrocity: the ever-increasing horrors he endured, the loss of his family and his struggle to survive in a world that stripped him of humanity, dignity and faith.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Just finished Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham, terrific!

Now trying a new author to me, Steve Berry, a book called The Amber Room. A bit more of an adventure tale but still a mystery. Like a more intellectual Clive Cussler.
  • Options
    Currently reading Mod by Richard Weight. It's all right, even though, in hindsight, there's very little about actual Mods. Just finished page after page after page about Punks, who, he insists, were direct descendants of Mods.
  • Options
    atrocity exhibition - j g ballard
  • Options
    Inspired by that Joy Division documentary?
  • Options
    Life: Keith Richards .. the life & times of a Dartford lad and his mates ((:>)
  • Options
    I'm currently reading SK's " Lisey's Story" which I bought in a charity shop in Harrogate together with "Duma Key" during our Friday en route to Boro.

Not quite sure what to make of it yet but first third or so was a pretty difficult read.
  • Options

Rob said:

Just finished "I Am Pilgrim" by Terry Hayes. For a book that has had such good reviews and hype massively disappointing. It is very easy to read but the central character is just too good to be true and didn't think the plot was sufficiently complicated to warrant 700 odd pages. Think Dan Brown tackles biological terrorism...

Be intetested to see what you think of it @Rob. I think Terry Hayes is screenwriter primarily and it shows in ths book for me. Everything seems to be written with a view to how it's going to come across on screen rather than whether it's remotely plausible or moves the story along.
    So, recently finished I Am Pilgrim. I liked it. However, there were 2 huge coincidences in the book that I found a bit of a stretch. A good read though.