Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP story about Todorov and Holland

edited May 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/tn/sport.cfm?id=7445

Comments

• Options
    I'm mixed on both to be honest.

Todorov i think we should release. Has quality we don't have, but i think the risk of him spending more time injured now is too great.

Holland i love, but i think its an area we need to improve, and because he is such a senoir figure in the squad, if he is fit you pretty much have to play him.
  • Options
    Good news if true we are talking to Todorov about a new deal, could be a huge player for us next season. A Class above at that level.
  • Options
    yeah great player hope he stays injury free
  • Options
    Disagree with the view that we should release Toddy. The man has qualities that no forward at the club has. It's not as if he picks up giggly injuries. The man has been unlucky to have 2 major injuries. I wonder how our season would have turned out if he remained injury free last year. Sign him up!!!
  • Options
    I hope they both stay. Todorov is class at this level and Holland's all round influence, both on and off the pitch is definitely worth another deal.
  • Options
    I think keeping holding of Toddy will be a plus, if we can get a season out of him and use him as an impact player, second half and last 30 mins, then I think he will be more than useful.
  • Options
    CHG- that is exactly how he was billed when he came to us..

I hope he stays, also Matt Holland, but take the point that a fit Holland may have to getused not to be automatically in the starting line-up.....
  • Options
    i think toddy didn't play enough to really convince me, also seemed a bit slow, so not sure. Agree with BARTS about Holland, time to move on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Holland i love, but i think its an area we need to improve, and because he is such a senior figure in the squad, if he is fit you pretty much have to play him.
    agreed, which is why I'd hope he moves on.

Todorov is quality, but we've bought Gray now - not sure we can afford to pay them both.
  • Options
    I would love to watch a fit todorov
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have been under-achieving in central midfield since Parker dumped us. Time to look for a plan "B".

Can't see any harm in giving Toddy a short term deal to prove his fitness, his quality is obvious when fit.
  • Options
    keep them both experienced heads in 2 positions that we are likely to be playing inexperienced kids with Ucheli and Shelvey who could you be better to learn from than the the 2 players at the club who you have not heard a cross word from
  • Options
    Anyone with doubts about Todorov's ability should have another look at his goal at Palarse - between two defenders and with keeper coming out - class finish and made it look easy!

I know he is a year older and he has had a major injury - once upon a time career ending - but as others have said, we do not have anyone else like him at the club at present.
  • Options
    As long as Charlton offer something like a pay as you play deal then I am dead certain he should be retained. Can`t see many other clubs at Championship level wanting to offer him much better given his age and injury record.
  • Options
    Todrov if fit for the season would get atleast twenty goals and make the same amount as well class act
  • Options
    want them both to stay
  • Options
    keep both we desperatly need quality and leadership
  • Options
    Where else could we afford Toddy's class ?....... and we have him already!
    The club wouldn't be talking to him if they had big doubts about fitness & his contribution.

Definite keep him.

Holland - not just the old campaigner on the pitch but hugely influential no doubt in the dressing room.
    And proven totally committed to the club.

Still useful on the park and as a leader. If we'd had a player who could have played Holland's role better, I'm sure he would have played. But we didn't.

On and off the pitch, he's going to be ia big influence in bringing on and nurturing young players. If we let him go, who else is there? Someone like Thatcher?

I agree with those that say we need someone in the Parker mould in centre-mid - and if we are lucky enough to sign one and Matty doesn't start so regularly - then he's at least the consumate professional, with the right attitude and to be relied on when needed.

Definite keep him.
  • Options
    The alternatives to Todorov are what? Gray, Varney, McLeod, Iwelumo, plus Dickson and maybe Fleetwood...

Toddy is only 29 and has had horrendous bad luck with a smalll number of injuries that have tended to be severe in their nature. Several seasons ago he proved his class at this level, a fit Todorov won't reach those levels again (what was it? 29 goals in a season?) but he should be good for a few, plus some assists.

Holland I'd keep as a senior player figure. Our central midfield at the moment consists of him, Shelvey and Semedo, unless we find we can afford to buy Steve Sidwell I think we are going to need his experience.

But I wouldn't give either anything more than a one year deal.
  • Options
    Hope we keep both.

Toddy will be very useful.

And Holland won PotY. Our most consistent performer last season. One of the few leaders we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would like to keep both, not however at the expense of a tough hard midfielder though. I agree with all about Matt Holland and Todorov some may have clouded vision of. He never looked capable of more than an hours football. But a very clever footballer and found as well as carried space around with him.

Bit of a commodity that
  • Options
    I'd like to see 'Toddy' given another shot. Very impressed with the little we all saw. Matt is a great ambassador for the club, his heart is here & I'd like him to stay, but as a regular next season? Personally, & sadly I don't feel he has 'it' in the quality stakes anymore. I sure as hell don't doubt his commitment to the Charlton cause, but for all his effort he is a fair bit past his prime. Time to give someone else a shot at that particular midfield berth now.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite] sadly I don't feel he has 'it' in the quality stakes anymore.

So what does that say about the club when he's our player of the year? Fortunately I think he's far better than you seem to be giving him credit for. Apart from the well recognised fact that he always gives 100%, he's a great tackler and some of his passing (particularly long range) was quite sublime last season. I don't see any reason why he should lose that ability in the space of one summer. I'd think he'd be absolutely ideal to have in the middle as a mentor to Shelvey.
  • Options
    both deserve 1 year deals, but needs to made clear that neither are guaranteed first team starters when fit....especially Holland.
  • Options
    Missing Todorov's experience was one of the critical factors of our fall down the table in my opinion.

If Varney can pick up some of Toddys ability at holding the ball up, close control and timing then it will make him a better player as well.

Keep both.
  • Options
    Can't help but think with absence, Todorov's stock has grown for some. I'm pretty sure i remember very mixed performances if i'm honest.

Perhaps i'm just being negative.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]Can't help but think with absence, Todorov's stock has grown for some. I'm pretty sure i remember very mixed performances if i'm honest.

Perhaps i'm just being negative.

He's rebuilding his career, I don't think he'll ever be a star player, but we need his ability coming off the bench to break down a few stubborn defence minded teams.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite] sadly I don't feel he has 'it' in the quality stakes anymore.

So what does that say about the club when he's our player of the year? Fortunately I think he's far better than you seem to be giving him credit for. Apart from the well recognised fact that he always gives 100%, he's a great tackler and some of his passing (particularly long range) was quite sublime last season. I don't see any reason why he should lose that ability in the space of one summer. I'd think he'd be absolutely ideal to have in the middle as a mentor to Shelvey.

That Matt Holland was our player of the season shows just how bad we were!

"Sublime long range passing"?!?! What games were you watching?

There really is an "Emperors new clothes" syndrome as far as Matt Holland is concerned. He really is one of the most ineffective players I have ever sseen. there are no footballing reasons for keeping him. He adds nothing to the side and we would be better off if we let him go and gave the likes of Racon a chance.
  • Options
    Disagree AFKA.

Varney, Dickson and Mcleod rely on their pace and getting behind defenders, Iwelumo on his aerial ability and strength.

The one vital part we were missing was a bit of nous, Sheringham like, to hold the ball up, spot a pass and finish well when necessary, his goals against Colchester away and the league cup match at the Valley were all that he was about.

Hopefully Gray can do that job, not convinced though.
  • Options
    That Matt Holland was our player of the season shows just how bad we were!

"Sublime long range passing"?!?! What games were you watching?

There really is an "Emperors new clothes" syndrome as far as Matt Holland is concerned. He really is one of the most ineffective players I have ever sseen. there are no footballing reasons for keeping him. He adds nothing to the side and we would be better off if we let him go and gave the likes of Racon a chance

Lets get rid of our player of the season and replace him with someone we've never really seen play? What a genius idea.

Whilst i agree that last season performance was not the best, he played his heart out for the cause and in my opinion the weakest link, particularly towards the end of the season, was Samedo.

I also believe he would, in negotiating a new contract, possibly take a pay cut if he wants to stay as badly as is being reported. I don't think you are likely to find many more consumate profesionals at this level of the game and this can only serve as a possitive major influence on the up and coming youngsters amoungst our squad.