Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SLP story about Todorov and Holland

2»

Comments

• Options
    Todorov - definitely worth keeping on a pay as you play deal

Holland, and we've been through this before - has got to go if we want to be top six this season. All this nonsense about being a leader is just that. His legs have lone gone and running about like a headless chicken and throwing himself into a few challenges won't change that.

If people on here really want to pick the team on the basis of which players give the East Stand a clap after a home match then we really are in trouble...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]The one vital part we were missing was a bit of nous, Sheringham like, to hold the ball up, spot a pass and finish well when necessary, his goals against Colchester away and the league cup match at the Valley were all that he was about.

Fair point.

So on the presumption that Varney and Gray stay, and Todorov re-signs, we'll have strikers on the books:

Varney
    Gray
    Todorov
    Dickson
    Iwelumo
    McLeod

In mind that we will be running a smaller squad, and that i'm sure a new striker will be brought in at some stage over the summer, and we need to raise a bit of cash, something has got to give for me.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited May 2008
    I think you can break those strikers up into the following categories:

Link Up Strikers
    Gray
    Toddy

Pacey Strikers
    Varney
    McLeod

Goal Poacher
    Dickson

Target Man
    Iwelumo

In my opinion we should only have one person from each group for the purposes of Plan A, B and C and on the premise that we are cutting budgets and number of playing staff.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Surely we should be looking to loan out one of those and sell two more.
    Varney and Gray are first choice in my book, so if Todorov was kept I'd be looking to sell Iwelumo and McLeod.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Surely we should be looking to loan out on of those and sell two more.
    Varney and Gray are first choice in my book, so if Todorov was kept I'd bee looking to sell Iwelumo and McLeod.

I think that is spot on.

I also think you could count Varney as a wide man in a smaller squad and lose two out of Sam, Thomas and Ambrose
  • Options
    You can't sell / offload McLeod because he is out injured.

Iwelumo is despensible, but can you see much interest ? It will only leave us with Gray who is an arial threat.

I'm sick of Varney being bracketed in this wide role, and i suspect he is as well.
  • Options
    If McLeod is out until the end of the year as reported, then we can't afford to sell Varney, as his movement is 100 times better than our other strikers. McLeod is the only one that I've seen who's movement even comes close.

I think its widely known, on here at least, that our best performances have involved dynamism up top, and Varney is a huge part of that.

Some tough decisions will need to be made, because we have too many strikers at the moment.

I'd like to keep Todorov, Gray and Varney. I haven't seen enough of Dickson to give accurate comment. Then with Fleetwood sounding like he's coming in, that already gives us 5 strikers, along with McLeod who we won't be able to sell, so thats 6. And thats only if we can sell Iwelumo, so 7 if we can't.

For a club who's looking to cut down, thats too many.

Varney would be my main priority to keep, but I have a horrible feeling that because Varney is the most saleable asset, he could be off.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite]
    That Matt Holland was our player of the season shows just how bad we were!

"Sublime long range passing"?!?! What games were you watching?

There really is an "Emperors new clothes" syndrome as far as Matt Holland is concerned. He really is one of the most ineffective players I have ever sseen. there are no footballing reasons for keeping him. He adds nothing to the side and we would be better off if we let him go and gave the likes of Racon a chance

Lets get rid of our player of the season and replace him with someone we've never really seen play? What a genius idea.

Never likely to see him play all the time his place in the side is occupied by a player whos best days are long gone!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Harvey Gardens[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]sadly I don't feel he has 'it' in the quality stakes anymore.[/quote]

So what does that say about the club when he's our player of the year? Fortunately I think he's far better than you seem to be giving him credit for. Apart from the well recognised fact that he always gives 100%, he's a great tackler and some of his passing (particularly long range) was quite sublime last season. I don't see any reason why he should lose that ability in the space of one summer. I'd think he'd be absolutely ideal to have in the middle as a mentor to Shelvey.[/quote]

[quote][cite]Posted By: millaphile[/cite][quote]That Matt Holland was our player of the season shows just how bad we were!

"Sublime long range passing"?!?! What games were you watching?

There really is an "Emperors new clothes" syndrome as far as Matt Holland is concerned. He really is one of the most ineffective players I have ever sseen. there are no footballing reasons for keeping him. He adds nothing to the side and we would be better off if we let him go and gave the likes of Racon a chance[/quote]

Lets get rid of our player of the season and replace him with someone we've never really seen play? What a genius idea.

Whilst i agree that last season performance was not the best, he played his heart out for the cause and in my opinion the weakest link, particularly towards the end of the season, was Samedo.

I also believe he would, in negotiating a new contract, possibly take a pay cut if he wants to stay as badly as is being reported. I don't think you are likely to find many more consumate profesionals at this level of the game and this can only serve as a possitive major influence on the up and coming youngsters amoungst our squad.[/quote]

No one is denying that Holland isn't the consumate professional, but the fact is, he is past it.
    The he won the Player of the Year award was down to his effort, not his actual ability, & the bottom line on it is that there were VERY slim pickings last season.

Matts heart is in the right place, but sadly not the talent anymore.

Too many blurry eyes to see the wood through the tree's methinks. As I said in my earlier piece, I would like him to stay, but I wouldn't be happy to see him in the team week in, week out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]No one is denying that Holland isn't the consumate professional, but the fact is, he is past it.
    The he won the Player of the Year award was down to his effort, not his actual ability, & the bottom line on it is that there were VERY slim pickings last season.

Matts heart is in the right place, but sadly not the talent anymore.

Too many blurry eyes to see the wood through the tree's methinks. As I said in my earlier piece, I would like him to stay, but I wouldn't be happy to see him in the team week in, week out.
    Agreed - except I would prefer him to move on to make sure he isn't in the team week-in week-out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Holland is a lightweight waste of sapce we should have got rid of yonks agio1
  • Options
    Reading Chris Dickson's article on the OS, he mentions rehabilitation with fellow knee victims Sinclair & McLeod but no word of Toddy. Perhaps he has gone already.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Reading Chris Dickson's article on the OS, he mentions rehabilitation with fellow knee victims Sinclair & McLeod but no word of Toddy. Perhaps he has gone already.

Perhaps he is fit already? From memory he was fit enough to play our last couple of games.