Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Holland (Player of the Year) Signs On

Comments

• Options
    Great
  • Options
    nice one.
  • Options
    Jonjo needs an experienced head to show him the ropes, I'm happy with that.
  • Options
    boo ;-)
  • Options
    great pro,your right large,shelvey with holland sounds right.
  • Options
    Shelvey instead of Holland sounds better
  • Options
    we should play 10 players up front.
  • Options
    nope both played sounds better,and piss off thomas and co.
  • Options
    A big step backwards. Very poor decision from Pardew.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]nope both played sounds better

Lets hope that having to carry captain deadwood doesn't effect his game to much!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cutting barn!
  • Options
    if even half our players showed the passion and committment Matt did last season then we wouldn't have finished where we did. With a Shelvey or Howard type player alongside him and two decent wide players then our midfield would be okay.
  • Options
    Brilliant news.
  • Options
    We are destined to under-achieve yet again. This is as bad as signing Faye and Traore.
  • Options
    we got hudson were be fine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]We are destined to under-achieve yet again. This is as bad as signing Faye and Traore.

yeah, right.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]if even half our players showed the passion and committment Matt did last season then we wouldn't have finished where we did. With a Shelvey or Howard type player alongside him and two decent wide players then our midfield would be okay.

Sorry LA but you could pull someone out of the crowd and they would show passion and committment. Wouldn't be enough to get us promoted though!
  • Options
    im with matt,great pro still got loads to offer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]if even half our players showed the passion and committment Matt did last season then we wouldn't have finished where we did. With a Shelvey or Howard type player alongside him and two decent wide players then our midfield would be okay.

Sorry LA but you could pull someone out of the crowd and they would show passion and committment. Wouldn't be enough to get us promoted though!

I just don't understand why Matt get pelters whilst, relatively speaking, the likes of Thomas, Ambrose, get away with murder in that not only are they not good enough but they don't even try.
  • Options
    Although I don't expect him to play as prominent a role next season - something he shouldn't be expected to do as others have to take up more responsibility - this is a good signing. Can we lose this negative attitude to everything the club does? They aren't above criticism but some people are far too quick to put a downer on things and it doesn't help matters at all, especially on match day.

He was voted POTY and has earned this new contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ambrose - 9 goals from 29 starts, that's a pretty healthy return for someone that isn't good enough and doesn't try.

Thomas - fair enough!
  • Options
    My view is that Matty is an excellent role model particularly given that we are not keeping Chris Powell and is worth retaining because of that. He will influence the youngsters positively around the training ground.

However I really hope Pardew doesn't consider him the number one name on his team sheet for next season. He is committed and willing but simply too lightweight to play alongside ZZ, Shelvey or Ambrose on a regular basis. We need a Carsley, even Ashbee of Hull, type figure, not that I'm suggesting either of those, who can put a foot in.
  • Options
    At the end of the day we saw what happened when we lost reid's experience.

Even if he doesnt play, having holland in the changing room will do wonders for some of the youngsters.
  • Options
    nice one
  • Options
    I'm delighted with this news. He is such a great influence around the place even if his legs ain't what they used to be.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Ambrose - 9 goals from 29 starts, that's a pretty healthy return for someone that isn't good enough and doesn't try.
    ... and no one had more official assists than Ambrose either - and he isn't really a winger!

Holland works hard and runs around but never looks like controlling a game - he is the clean-shorted Kish. He is a model pro and I am glad he is staying but if we want to aim for promotion then I hope he is not a regular ... since we have a better option.

As for Thomas - let's hope someone buys him soon.
  • Options
    Great to have an experienced head working with the yout' of today. But not so great if he becomes anywhere near a regular next season. He is simply not good enough anymore.(cue-'but he was our player of the year' type rants) Regardless of all his efforts, he has been fading as a 'force' for the past 3 years at least, having had his best years at Ipswich earlier in his career.
  • Options
    I agree, but Shelvey can't be expected to start every match and it'll be useful to have experience around on and off the pitch.
  • Options
    I think this is a great signing and I'd keep him as the holding midfielder for next season. Can't believe people are giving him stick-the amount of games last year when he was the only player who looked interested.

Also completely disagree that he's not the player he was, as far as I'm concerned he's played better under Pardew (in Prem and Championship) than he ever did under Curbs.
  • Options
    I think having decent options in midfield is key for next season. When things weren't going well we struggled to change things around in the middle. Hopefully with Holland, ZZ, Racon, Basey, Shelvey maybe Ambrose and a couple of new signings we won't have that problem.