Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Matt Holland (Player of the Year) Signs On

Comments

• Options
    matt holland has been a good servant to the club would rather have the type of player like matt than thomas every day no showboating like thomas who thinks he is better than he is
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aylesfordaddick[/cite]matt holland has been a good servant to the club would rather have the type of player like matt than thomas every day no showboating like thomas who thinks he is better than he is

Talking of which when is Thomas going? Advert on EBay or Gumtree anyone
  • Options
    This is excellent news.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]I think this is a great signing and I'd keep him as the holding midfielder for next season. Can't believe people are giving him stick-the amount of games last year when he was the only player who looked interested.

Also completely disagree that he's not the player he was, as far as I'm concerned he's played better under Pardew (in Prem and Championship) than he ever did under Curbs.

Agreed. You can't really fault Holland's individual performance or his attitude & professionalism.
    The fault, if any, lies in the balance of the team picked by Pardew.

As a player, Holland is still a fine & competant performer who would win a place in most CCC sides, even at 34.
  • Options
    If this is a signal that Holland is a starter next season then we're in a whole lot of trouble. Holland CANNOT dominate a game, his strengh is complimenting a more forceful partner but we don't have a player like that at the club. With Holland in the team be prepared for another season of losing again and again to lower table 'passion' teams, terrible decision by Pardew.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite] Holland CANNOT dominate a game, his strengh is complimenting a more forceful partner but we don't have a player like that at the club. With Holland in the team be prepared for another season of losing again and again to lower table 'passion' teams, terrible decision by Pardew.

Oh no, the transfer vwindow closes in three months, we are undone, woe is us!!!
  • Options
    We're Doooomed ;0)
  • Options
    Holding midfielders aren't there to dominate games.
  • Options
    Surely Matt is going to be a reserve next season. Like to see young Basey as a holding midfielder than Semedo or Holland.
  • Options
    yes,pardew should be looking for versatile type players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]Holding midfielders aren't there to dominate games.

Yeah right and goalkeepers aren't there to stop goals! If your holding player isn't going to dominate the oppersition what's the point in having one FFS!!

Play Holland as our holding player and even the most average championship side will over run us in the middle of the park.
  • Options
    I just don`t get all the critisism that Matty gets on here at the moment. As a holding midfielder Holland is still ok at our level. Not his fault that we didn`t have a playmaker alongside him. Its that combination that allows teams to dominate others. Not saying he should be our first choice but a one year deal was well earned good bussiness for us IMHO.
  • Options
    I quite like Matt Holland, but wish he wasn't playing for us.

He is and always has been a lightweight who rarely gets his shorts dirty.

He has little creativity and rarely passes the ball forward.

He rarely tackles (he did put in a tackle at the start of the Stoke game which is why it's so memorable).

He used to get a few goals a season, but even they have dried up.

He is good at running around and shadowing the opposition, he is a decent bloke and he does clap the fans at the end, but unfortunately that doesn't make him a good player.

Happy to keep him as a squad player to play the occasional game, but hope he's not first team.

Sorry Matt because I know you do try.
  • Options
    if that assessment is of a player you "quite like" I cant wait to see one of a player you think is crap.
  • Options
    I like him as a person, but don't rate him as a top Championship player. If he's a holding midfielder he should be tackling,closing down and protecting the defence, but he doesn't do it particularily well. Good example being the last goal we let in against Coventry. He could and should have closed Mifsud down, but he didn't dive in because he generally doesn't.I know it didn't matter on the day but that's not the point. He is not and never has been a tackler any more than the likes of Ambrose are.
  • Options
    Can`t agree...sorry
  • Options
    Shooter i don't think anyone's critisising Holland for any failings of attitude and desire, i've never heard anyone ever moan about his off the pitch behaviour and he seems a decent bloke. The point is though that we lost the midfield battle time and again last season and it's time to get a more confrontational player who runs into tackles rather than a player who like covered says 'shadows' the opposition. It's not Hollands fault that his style doesn't suit our needs but thats why i think it's best he moves on. Anyway it's a moot point now because he's signed so i'll clap him every bit as warmly as the rest of the team. Hope that clears it up.

S.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]Shooter i don't think anyone's critisising Holland for any failings of attitude and desire, i've never heard anyone ever moan about his off the pitch behaviour and he seems a decent bloke. The point is though that we lost the midfield battle time and again last season and it's time to get a more confrontational player who runs into tackles rather than a player who like covered says 'shadows' the opposition. It's not Hollands fault that his style doesn't suit our needs but thats why i think it's best he moves on. Anyway it's a moot point now because he's signed so i'll clap him every bit as warmly as the rest of the team. Hope that clears it up.

S.

I think you and Covered End have sumed it up pretty well.
  • Options
    Matty is a good signing as a squad player and an old head to support,direct and support the youth. He is a good link up player and last season he was the only one pof our midfield who consistently put in efffort and commitment. Plus he had the balls to acknowledge the crowd whatever the crowds reaction had been to the game.
  • Options
    In a mediocre team in a mediocre season he stood out head and shoulders above the rest on a consistent basis. Like him or not this is why he was voted player of the year on a pretty unanimous basis.

Yes he's knocking on a bit now and we'd be wrong to try to build our team around him next year. However, in an age where people are happy to quickly jump on the back of someone for apparently being a "football mercenary", it seems rather absurd to me that people on here are seemingly trying to get on the back of the one true professional we have at the club at present.

The man deserved another contract after his efforts last year. If you can't see that then I wonder quite what you want or expect from a Charlton player in this day and age.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exactly right.

He may not be an automatic first choice next season, but there again he probably wasn't going to be last year following the signing of ZZ and the arrival of Semedo, Racon and Sinclair etc.

He was Player of the Year for a good reason, and it's very good news that we're not losing both him and Powell from the squad at the same time.
  • Options
    I'm pleased that he stayed as we don't appear to have much money to buy better players and that is the key. However, I hope he is replaced by a better midfielder who tackles more and makes more forward passes.That may not be possible, but if our midfield wasn't good enough last season, then it won't be this season, because I can't believe Shelvey will play all the games and get us promoted.
  • Options
    I agree totally Off_it. Matt Holland won POTY last season because he was, by some considerable distance, our best & most consistent player. I am sure that he will be invaluable for us again next season, even if he doesn't play as many games.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]In a mediocre team in a mediocre season he stood out head and shoulders above the rest on a consistent basis. Like him or not this is why he was voted player of the year on a pretty unanimous basis.

Yes he's knocking on a bit now and we'd be wrong to try to build our team around him next year. However, in an age where people are happy to quickly jump on the back of someone for apparently being a "football mercenary", it seems rather absurd to me that people on here are seemingly trying to get on the back of the one true professional we have at the club at present.

The man deserved another contract after his efforts last year. If you can't see that then I wonder quite what you want or expect from a Charlton player in this day and age.

Worth highlighting i think.

Agree with every word of it.
  • Options
    Ultimately he's a good club captain rather than an on the field captain, and I'm happy having him around on that basis.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]In a mediocre team in a mediocre season he stood out head and shoulders above the rest on a consistent basis. Like him or not this is why he was voted player of the year on a pretty unanimous basis.

charltonlife hall of fame post.
  • Options

Absolutely spot on!
  • Options
    Matty's biggest problem last year was that he was playing in a midfield that wasn't balanced and didn't compliment each other - and that was down to management selection.

To get the best out of any player you have to play to his strengths. He's not the fastest, most physical or the greatest ball winner but they're not his strengths. However, not only does Holland read the game well and have superb positional sense, he also has a decent first touch and neat and tidy passing - not to mention a ferocious shot (think home to Bristol City & Coventry matches).

But his real value to the side is that he provides the platform for OTHER players to play; the constant talking to players, the mopping & tidying up, reinforcing & covering his own defenders, overlapping and getting forward on occasion and offering himself as the extra option to the man with the ball or just taking an opponent out of the game with a dummy run to create space.

In short he knits the team together.

And the fact that he's always been the first name on a manager's teamsheet proves at least that he's valued by his manager - if not by the crowd, who naturally are invariably following the movement of the ball.
  • Options

100% agree with ya. Well said fella.
  • Options

That deserves a thread of its own. That comment stands head and shoulders above mediocre comments on a mediocre topic. Seriously it is absolutely spot on.