Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Palace.We mean nothing to them!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Yeates is an interesting buy - attacking/goal scoring midfielder for Colchester Utd, but I don't think Danny Webber is the answer to your striking problems and as you say Hudson needs to be replaced. My argument from yesterday stands, that the cost of replacing him will prove to be more than matching/bettering whatever Charlton were offering him.
  • Options
    budge matey why does your boards debate hudson leaving in so many pages,hes just a player after all? i mean imagine how many pages there would be for if he went to the scum[brighton]
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]NW has said he wants to bring in a couple of strikers

with his track record, expect about 15!

honestly, at one point at Sheffield United he had...

Hulse, Stead, Horsfield, Shipperley, Shelton, Webber, Nade, Kazim-Richards, Kabba and Akinbiyi
  • Options
    You know what discussion boards are like, even on here you've got Charlton fans who will rave about certain players, whereas others will think they're crap. Personally I think Hudson is a good player, and he will be hard to replace, certainly as BFR says for a comparable sum.

Nolly, you seem to be confused. I do not hate Charlton, however that does not mean to say that applies to all Palace fans, there are many who do hate you, and they are the ones in the main who are writing ridiculous things about Charlton and Hudson.

As for the striker thing, its a concern I share, when NW was at Shef Utd, he did have too many strikers, at Palace however, we have a shortage of strikers, and if Morrison leaves which seems likely we would probably need at least two more. However I just hope that Pardew gives us a chance, and doesn't try to buy up all the strikers again, as you've got to admit, he does seem to like a striker himself.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]he does seem to like a striker himself

he did let a good young prospect go to Colchester though, he really hit the ground running...

On paper we have bundles of strikers - Todorov, Iwelumo, Varney, Gray, Mcleod, Dickson

However, with Mcleod still with his cruciate, Todorov and Dickson recovering from theirs, we are actually a bit short in terms of hitting the ground running at the start of next season...

Even with all those strikers we only had 2 fit at times in the second half of last season
  • Options
    Fair enough, it just seemed that any Championship striker that became available, Pardew was first in the door, and the shortage in strikers was probably the main thing that cost us last year. In the playoffs for instance, the only recognised striker we had was Morrison, after Scowcroft was brought back too early.

Are all your strikers expected to be fit for the start of the season, because as you say there does seem to be an abundance, perhaps NW might come knocking, I know we were linked with Mcleod, however I don't think he's rated too highly here is he?
  • Options
    http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=78968

Budgie as you seem to spend a lot of your time on here I thought I'd recipricate.I thought this thread was interesting. You don't seem to have many players and I can't see how you will challenge next year unless you are injury free.
  • Options
    As you say the squad is threadbare, which is why we have had to blood the youngsters. One of the biggest problems NW highlighted last year, was getting players in, even on loan. I know many on here will disagree, but I think that NW has made Palace a more appealing place to come. So hopefully we can a few more bodies in, because as you say to challenge we would need to be very lucky with injuries.
  • Options
    budge how old are you,wonder if you might no someone who goes palace
  • Options
    Budgie, with Warnock in charge you are always going to be in with a shout because (I hate saying it), he does know how to motivate players. You certainly need more pace up front and will presumably need a replacement winger to Sinclair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    nolly, please don't share it with anyone, but a very young 50.
  • Options
    We are hoping to hear that Sinclair will be signed on a year long loan, but obviously with Grant leaving Chelsea, thats all up in the air, but you're right we do certainly need him or something similar. We will also have Danns back who only played a bit part this season due to injury, but I'm not quite sure what his position would be.
  • Options
    One of the reasons Charlton let Sinclair go was because we were paying his wages of about £10K per week, which was too much to waste when we weren't playing him. No offence budgie but I'll be surprised if you can afford him.
  • Options
    No offence taken CE as you say, if we're expected to pay that, theres no way it'll happen, which is a shame.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested. Apparently when we signed him in 2004 (in the Premiership), he left Fulham for Palace for first team football and was given a wage reflecting his ability and being at a Premiership club. When we were relegated, this wage was more or less halved as it was one of the clauses of the contract when he signed.

When this deal was nearly expired, negotiations began for him to renew his contract. Because he'd since become a first team regular (He wasn't for a long time) and somehow made captain, he felt he deserved for his original wages to be reinstalled. He was therefore basically demanding Premiership wages which is no way within our budget. Contract talks stalled and it seemed we would look to negotiate after the playoffs. Because we didn't make it, it was 100% clear that he wasn't going to stay.

QPR offered him slightly improved terms but Charlton not only matched his demands but increased them. For that reason alone, I don't really blame him for leaving. He was never a fans favourite at Palace although he did improve under Warnock.

For a half decent Championship defender, he's on Premiership wages so it's a gamble in some respects on your part. The only dissapointment I have is that we'll now need to replace him which could be a sizeable chunk of Warnock's funds unless we sign Fonte permanently and Johannes Ertle signs on a free.
  • Options
    Unless you have heard it from the horses mouth Churley, he won't be on premiership wages.

No one at Charlton will be on premiership wages next season.
  • Options
    When I say Premiership wages, I mean those for a newly promoted club like Palace which is probably not as much as you'd think. He was going nowhere fast at Fulham and was a Dowie favourite so he signed. He was demanding £11,000 a week for his renewal which we simply couldn't afford. From what I've been told Charlton were willing to match this.

Again, whether you consider that a Premiership wage I don't know as you were up there for 7 seasons paying players £20,000 a week quite regularly I suspect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]As you say the squad is threadbare, which is why we have had to blood the youngsters. One of the biggest problems NW highlighted last year, was getting players in, even on loan. I know many on here will disagree, but I think that NW has made Palace a more appealing place to come. So hopefully we can a few more bodies in, because as you say to challenge we would need to be very lucky with injuries.

Does Jordan still refuse to pay agency fees? that could be another reason why players don't go to Palace too regularly.
  • Options
    So you're saying we're paying him at least 11 grand a week. I doubt that very much.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]So you're saying we're paying him at least 11 grand a week. I doubt that very much.

We may be up and around that figure because there is no fee involved in him coming, so assuming he would cost around 1.5 million on the open market then three years at 550,000 per year more or less covers the cost of the missing transfer fee.
    However, in order to do this deal Pards will have to offload some other reasonable size earners and not replace them such as Thatcher, Fortune and possibly Ambrose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Depends on the agent Kap10. There's been times where Jordan's stance on agents has let us down big time. Whilst agents are a massive problem in todays game, one man isn't going to change things and sometimes you need to swallow your pride, it's up to the muppets at the FA and PFA to sort it out.

Hudson's agent was only doing his job. I am dissapointed he left but more so because it was to a rival (yes I am admitting you are!) because it shows a lack of appreciation. Charlton are a bigger club but it's still a sideways move as we're both in the same division and probably have relatively similar aims for next season.

Whether you believe me or not is upto you. A player on a free transfer is always likely to get relatively decent wages. He's probably worth about £1 million or so therefore you're saving on this. He wouldn't of left Palace if it wasn't for the financial incentive because we did want him to stay.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]As you say the squad is threadbare, which is why we have had to blood the youngsters. One of the biggest problems NW highlighted last year, was getting players in, even on loan. I know many on here will disagree, but I think that NW has made Palace a more appealing place to come. So hopefully we can a few more bodies in, because as you say to challenge we would need to be very lucky with injuries.[/quote]

Does Jordan still refuse to pay agency fees? that could be another reason why players don't go to Palace too regularly.[/quote]

No Jordan is now playing ball with agents, and is even a part owner of an agency.
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Makes the orange one sound more than a little hypocritical in my book!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: churley1[/cite]When I say Premiership wages, I mean those for a newly promoted club like Palace which is probably not as much as you'd think. He was going nowhere fast at Fulham and was a Dowie favourite so he signed. He was demanding £11,000 a week for his renewal which we simply couldn't afford. From what I've been told Charlton were willing to match this.

Again, whether you consider that a Premiership wage I don't know as you were up there for 7 seasons paying players £20,000 a week quite regularly I suspect.[/quote]

When Charlton were relegated they were pretty ruthless, most of the players on Prem contracts left - some like Luke Young, Darren Bent, Diawarra, HH etc were transferred, others went out on loans. Behind the scenes a cull took place of non-playing admin staff as well.

Andy Reid was reportedly our top earner last season on £8K. As we signed Hudson on a free with no transfer fee that might mean we could offer a better deal than we gave to Reid but I still doubt it was £3k more and I doubt that what Palace and Charlton were offering was that different - the point I made to Budgie is still relevant. Palace have lost a key defender and unless you can sign a similar player free from another club, or get a loan in or promote a kid from the reserves then the cost of matching that difference could end up being worse than matching the difference more so as Hudson was an influential figure in what was the division's tightest defence. A replacement might also just leak in a few more goals. I reckon he saw the deal offered to Speroni to stay and perhaps to one or two other players out of contract and thought something to the effect of why should I settle for less when they are getting what they want and if Palace won't offer me what I want then I'll go to the club down the road who will.
  • Options
    logic doesn't work with palace
  • Options
    £11k a week Churley? LMFAO.....You shouldn't believe everything you read on BBS mate.

Mind you its nice to see a Palace fan that isn't trying to ignore the obvious truth for a change...."Charlton are a bigger club"
  • Options
    Dan is right Churley, we won't be paying him that.
  • Options
    Dan, sorry about some of the treatment you got over on the bbs.

As you say, it would be unlikely that he would be on 11k, but I think its generally agreed, he is on more than Palace were willing to pay. BFR I can see the point you're making about replacing him, but I think NW and SJ think that they can replace him, on a reasonable budget.

The point about Speroni though is interesting. Speroni is a key player, other than him the only key players I think NW might break the bank on are Watson and Soares, the others are good players, but players that can be replaced, and I think this is the hole that Hudson falls in. He is a fair player, a good Championship defender, whether he could go onto be a Premiership player, I don't know, but he can be replaced relatively cheaply, which we wouldn't be able to do so with the others mentioned.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]
    He is a fair player, a good Championship defender, whether he could go onto be a Premiership player, I don't know, but he can be replaced relatively cheaply, which we wouldn't be able to do so with the others mentioned.

Highly unlikely he would cut it in the prem......but that's unimportant, what's important is if he is good enough to be part of a team that can get out of this division, and that I'm sure he is.

Budgie keep fighting your corner....this has been a v funny thread to read.