Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question - Mark Mansfield

Comments

• Options
    rember the inpersonator doing john barnes and gazza singing starry starry nights,got a mention on the 606 show,i think mark mansfield thought it was gazza for a while.
  • Options
    Why can`t the club do somthing about getting it back on ?
  • Options
    BDL... what's the full title of the piece under the Verona link if you know it?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2008
    What happened to the other guy who was on it originally ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]What happened to the other guy who was on it originally ?

It was originally Clive Richardson and Steve Sutherland. Clive is a member on here, though rarely posts
  • Options
    Never mind Mark Mansfield. What ever happened to Dr Soul "Clive R"?? He was the presenter when Charlton Chat firsted started
  • Options
    just to add to this , Danny Baker is back doing 606 during the euro's . Might be disliked by some on here due to his millwall supporting but absolutely brilliant on the wireless
  • Options
    Clive is on Solar Radio - will email him to tell him he's got a fan!! ;-)

Charlton Live coming back - Would depend on Time FM wanting to put it on

Verona - It's from the Baz Luhrman version of Romeo and Juliet - It's called O'Verona and was written by Craig Armstrong
  • Options
    Danny Baker on the wireless !!!!!!!!!!!! only f**kin wire thatguy needs to be on should be connected to 100,000 Volts !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]just to add to this , Danny Baker is back doing 606 during the euro's . Might be disliked by some on here due to his millwall supporting but absolutely brilliant on the wireless

He may hate us, but he is a genius broadcaster - Up there with Kenny Everitt in my opinion

[cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Danny Baker on the wireless !!!!!!!!!!!! only f**kin wire thatguy needs to be on should be connected to 100,000 Volts !

How did I know you were going to say that ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers BDL!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Kenny Everitt's bottom thirty was one of the funniest things ever on the radio
  • Options
    Vic & Sylvia from Charlton are husband and wife and still sit alongside me in the East Stand .

Sylvia used to phone up and say " Oh yes I agree with Vic from Charlton" as if she didn't know him !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]just to add to this , Danny Baker is back doing 606 during the euro's . Might be disliked by some on here due to his millwall supporting but absolutely brilliant on the wireless

Had a beer with Danny Baker many years ago in Woolwich during our Upton Park stay, he was doing some live broadcast in the high street and he came into the Castle Tavern by the ferry and had a beer with us before we walked through the foot tunnel, seemed a genine bloke tbh.
  • Options
    probably shitting himself da9,met him on a 47 bus once the bloke stank
  • Options
    Up there with Kenny Everitt ? what you means his dead ?
  • Options
    I used to work nearly 25 year ago at a large Engineerg company in Lewisham, right where Tescos and the DLR are now, big M.O.D. stuff we did, if anyone remembers the 6' o'clock show on a Friday, Baker, Michael Aspel etc, well we were knocking down some old buildings and they sent a TV crew down with Baker to film staff taking up sledge hammers and knocking things down, always remember we nearly knocked him over in a van driving down the yard, but again, nice bloke to talk to, I know he gives it billy big gonads on the radio but thats his job.
  • Options
    Thanks for remembering me, guys, and thanks to BDL for contacting me!

Quite timely, this, as tomorrow I'll actually be playing on the hallowed turf at The Valley in a Football Aid charity game, along with Morts and against Willo and Eddie Youds - well I'll be on for 45 minutes anyway- 'dreams do come true'!

The radio situation- yes, Suthers and I started the ball rolling on Radio Thamesmead. I was presenter there and knew there was nothing on the schedule after 8pm on Sunday, so suggested to Steve that we might occupy the airtime with a Charlton show. The rest is proverbial history, the studio guests at RTM, players, ex-players, management, directors...then they dropped Charlton Chat when Mike Norris put some funding behind Mark Mansfield, and The Beautiful Game began, more serious football journalism radio than had been the 'armchair' content with Charlton Chat.

The end came when CAFC tied up a new radio deal after the promotion. Mark chose to crusade against the impending closure of the show on-air, an opportunaity not usually afforded on ILR (commercial) stations, when the axe usually falls instantly, giving the presenter no chance to mention to the audience.

Since I have been presenting in music radio since 1980, when my involvement with The Beautiful Game ended (I did help out engineering the show from time to time, and also 'drove' the midweek away commentaries), I went back to concentrate on playing soul music, and having been involved with Solar Radio as a pirate in the 1980s, have been heavily involved with legal Solar Radio since 2000, on Sky 0129 and at www.solarradio.com.

My 'claim to fame' is 2 hours of vintage (50s/60s/70s) R&B/soul on Thursday evening, 8 - 10pm, which I call "In Orbit"
    As well as that, I'm also label manager for Shout Records, reissueing vintage soul- www.shoutrecords.co.uk

Clive R
  • Options
    Brian from Welling used to ring up a lot in the early days. Always moaning about the team but had not been at the games to know!
  • Options
    Yeah always the classic lines "No I was not at the game but listened to the game on the radio. Curbs and Gritt have to go!!!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BDLBDL
    edited May 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Amos on the wing[/cite]Yeah always the classic lines "No I was not at the game but listened to the game on the radio. Curbs and Gritt have to go!!!"

That was the beauty of Charlton Life and what lead to the demise of commentaries on the station. People who didn't go to the games listened to the commentary and became Charlton Fans thanks to Mark's passionate and completely biased commentary.

Our RAJARS (audience figures) were massive, certainly the biggest on the station, despite what Rodney Collins (station mis-manager) said about the Sinatra Hour, but that's for a completely different forum! Capital obviously sniffed out the audience figures, saw that there was a captive audience, realised that we (Millennium) couldn't throw money at the club and went in with an offer that made perfect business sense for the club to accept.

Before Capital came in the station was almost bought out by the Wireless Group (Talksport) because of our audience figures. They only pulled out when they realised that we did not own the rights. It would have given them a foothold in the premiership by the back door.

Hey ho, that's radio.
  • Options
    Steve Clarke was the same-he'd always be with Mark Mansfield talking about the game the day before even though he'd spent the day shopping with the family!

Also, didn't they used to do a section about all the other local teams? I'm sure Gideon Co (sic) used to talk about Thamesmead Town or someone and I think he's now a DJ on BBC Radio 6. Also the guy who covered Millwall works for Sky now I think. And I remember Terry Robbins coming on every week as well.

Great memories-can you imagine the calls if they brought it back! It would have to be independent otherwise Pards would pull the plug straight away!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]

Also, didn't they used to do a section about all the other local teams? I'm sure Gideon Co (sic) used to talk about Thamesmead Town or someone and I think he's now a DJ on BBC Radio 6. Also the guy who covered Millwall works for Sky now I think. And I remember Terry Robbins coming on every week as well.

Gideon Coe used to cover Millwall, and now is a Sky reporter.

I used to love it when they did the recorded interviews, and it was obvious the Slade Green / Charlton ladies / Thamesmead Town manager was in the bath, or had about 200 kids running around his house !
  • Options
    What was Millenium called before it was Millenium? Didn't Martin Simmons have some sort of involvement?
  • Options
    I love all these local radio people...............

But Danny Baker=CNUT. 100%. 24 CARAT. If you cannot see that then I feel sorry for you.
    The BBC don't get everything right but sacking him was one thing they did.
    YES!!!!! I know RadioLondon is BBC but I am talking nationally. That's what counts.
    He is an arrogant, bigoted, narrow-minded, ignorant, know nothing cnut IMO. I guess as the BBC employ Alan Green, their quota for the afore mentioned criteria is fulfilled.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]I love all these local radio people...............

But Danny Baker=CNUT. 100%. 24 CARAT. If you cannot see that then I feel sorry for you.
    The BBC don't get everything right but sacking him was one thing they did.
    YES!!!!! I know RadioLondon is BBC but I am talking nationally. That's what counts.
    He is an arrogant, bigoted, narrow-minded, ignorant, know nothing cnut IMO. I guess as the BBC employ Alan Green, their quota for the afore mentioned criteria is fulfilled.

So what you trying to say?
  • Options
    I can clearly remeber the evening when Mark went mad at the club and rightly so.he had done a great job with Charlton live and was just as pivotal as getting the club where it is today as it brought fans and the community together
  • Options
    cant get the link to work
  • Options
    got it to work BDl

Thats not it before that
  • Options
    As anyone sad enough to have the last 2 shows when Mark Mansfield was on, and was moaning about the club, and the end of the programme at the time. Would love to listen to them once again.

Does anyone remember that bloke ringing up and asking Kevin Nolan about a table being overturned in the Yorkshire Grey during a boxing night? Mr Nolan's response was bizarre.