Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question - Mark Mansfield

13»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HandG[/cite]

Also, didn't they used to do a section about all the other local teams? I'm sure Gideon Co (sic) used to talk about Thamesmead Town or someone and I think he's now a DJ on BBC Radio 6. Also the guy who covered Millwall works for Sky now I think. And I remember Terry Robbins coming on every week as well.

Gideon Coe used to cover Millwall, and now is a Sky reporter.

I used to love it when they did the recorded interviews, and it was obvious the Slade Green / Charlton ladies / Thamesmead Town manager was in the bath, or had about 200 kids running around his house !

Greg Whelan used to cover Millwall, and is now on Sky. Wolves fan i think he is.
  • Options
    you're right shirty
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was within a couple of weeks of getting 'Charlton Live' back on Time FM last season.

I'd been approached by the Station Manager to host it and went for a few meetings to sort out the logistics of everything. The format and show timings had been agreed, show and production personnel sorted. The station had even approached Gary Seargant to sponsor it gain, but they declined.

Regrettably soon after that, it completely fizzled out and nothing happened. Chased around calling, e-mailing etc, but now news or response at all, then I heard that the guy I had been dealing with had left the station and the people who own the whole thing had placed someone in there who had little interest in continuing with the project.

Might try again before next season.
  • Options
    Mike Flanagan got the boot as Lennie Lawrences coach for speaking out on Charlton Chat in its early years,
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WhenIwasLittleBoy[/cite]Mike Flanagan got the boot as Lennie Lawrences coach for speaking out on Charlton Chat in its early years,[/quote]

Wasn't that because he criticised the decision by his boss to buy Stuart Balmer?
  • Options
    I think he made a few remarks about the coaching and style of play, as well as the players we were buying....next morning out the door
  • Options
    Love the comments about Steve Clarke Hand G. Without fail every away game they would discuss it on air and he had not even been there. Also whenever anyone had a question relating to his Supporters Directors role he would always answer "I don't know the answer to that, I will get back to you". And nothing would be heard on the subject again!
  • Options
    Steve Clarke, now he could send you to sleep
  • Options
    OK - Millennium was RTM up until 1996'ish - Clive is that right?

Music - Sorry that's the only theme I have

Danny Baker - Yes he is a k**b but he has a fantastic broadcasting presence. It's not just about waffling drivel into a microphone, it's about timing, use of material. You can hate him, but you have to admire him.

Remember Steve Dixon getting so much grief when he suggested, after we had lost three games on the spin, that we were going through a blip in the 97/98 season and it was nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Listening to CHarlton Chat was one of the reasons i really got into Charlton to be honest. Used to love that Sunday night show.

Remember they did a fund raising show once, people bidding for certain items. Was a great show. Remember Walshie being on it drunk as well !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You're in the right direction, BDL - was Radio Thamesmead on cable late 80s until 1990, when the station was granted a Community of Interest license on FM (103.8) with a TSA of Bexley/Greenwich/Dartford. As a matter of partly-related interest, Grant Goddard, who was involved with the RTM licence application as Head of Programming, then joined Kiss FM and was similarly active in Kiss100FM winning their licence in 1990.

RTM ran through the 90's, and when Bob Smith left, Rodney Collins came in (with a solid radio background) and ran things, helped (hindered) by Thamesmead Town until the end of the decade. By that time he had attempted liaisons with various potential 'partners', including Jeffrey Kruger's TKO, to move the station up a level and away from TT ownershop.

The change of frequency to 106.8 came late 90s, giving a clearer signal which even the Chief Engineer could hear through an (occasional?) alcoholic haze, after which came the re-branding to Millennium, with the approach of Year 2000 and broadcsating to Greenwich Borough.

I left in 2001 to focus on Solar Radio, after which came a change of ownership (Fusion Group) and name to Time FM.
  • Options
    fascinating !! Back to the trainspotting ....
  • Options
    Is the station still going ?

Solar, at its peak what sort of audience figures were Charlton Chat / CHarlton Live getting ?

DO you remember that charity show i mentioned above ?

And who was the best guest Charlton wise you ever had in the studio ?

cheers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]As anyone sad enough to have the last 2 shows when Mark Mansfield was on, and was moaning about the club, and the end of the programme at the time. Would love to listen to them once again.

Does anyone remember that bloke ringing up and asking Kevin Nolan about a table being overturned in the Yorkshire Grey during a boxing night? Mr Nolan's response was bizarre.

I have a feeling that Kevin Nolan's son posts on here, he is certainly one of our more charismatic posters......
  • Options
    AFKA, the charity show was a memorable evening- I think we had Cheryl Baker in the studio as well.
    Walshie was a regular visitor, along with Sweaty Balmer.

Best guests- I suppose it must be between the Chairmen (Messrs Murray and Simons) and Curbs.
    Some ex-players were hard to work with on-air, but there again, they didn't earn their living by talking...

Time FM is still going, still on 106.8, but with modest audience figures.
    I was never privy to audience figures at RTM, but I think a figure of around 10,000 was mentioned
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]fascinating !! Back to the trainspotting ....

lol!
    [cite]Posted By: Solaraddick[/cite]Time FM is still going, still on 106.8, but with modest audience figures.
    I was never privy to audience figures at RTM, but I think a figure of around 10,000 was mentioned

More anorak stuff I'm afraid - TSA was 450,000 and our rajars were reaching 10% at peak - so 45,000 listeners. Expect it was more like 20,000 - Still bloody good though!
  • Options
    Reading this thread, BDL, do you remember one of those shows we did as temporary cover, when we had a load of stuff lined up, and the plug was pulled on it just before we went on air?
    That was 2 hours of the radio equivalent of tumbleweed eh! How long was that 120 mins! That's the only time I have ever seen you speechless....
    It must have been rivetting stuff for our listener......
  • Options
    This is a fascinating post. Those Sunday's night's listening at home sure used to make the ironing pile go down quicker. On a slightly separate tack - what happened to Charlton Plus?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 3blokes[/cite]Reading this thread, BDL, do you remember one of those shows we did as temporary cover, when we had a load of stuff lined up, and the plug was pulled on it just before we went on air?
    That was 2 hours of the radio equivalent of tumbleweed eh! How long was that 120 mins! That's the only time I have ever seen you speechless....
    It must have been rivetting stuff for our listener......

Yes I do Jon. It was after (Con)Fusion wrongly got rid of Jon Lucas and we were left holding the baby. Have to admit it was a bit Partridge-esque!
  • Options
    My mate Nigel Jones used to do the travel & stuff on the breakfast show years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2008
    lol
  • Options
    Charlton Plus was on internet station off the chart radio every Sunday during last season. Whether we do it again for next season is up in the air at the moment. We run the show at our own expense and we rely totally on the limited audience we can get feedback from to make the show work. It's not really intended to be anything more than a forum for CAFC fans with a bit of music thrown in. Hope that answers your question Chicago Addick.
  • Options
    Thanks Brian, I should check my podcast downloads again because it appeared to stop around March.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Pocast wasn't done from March due to time constraints so you won't find any on there after then I'm afraid Doug.