Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gardening update

Comments

• Options
    I'm suprised about the pears... a friends tree is literally covered in the things - all a good size too.

Plum trees in a local park are also covered
  • Options
    My apple tree died this year.
    Always produced lots of apples that were good for eating and held up well for cooking.
    Didn't even leaf this year.
    Guess I'll have to get busy with the saw!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Anybody else had trouble with vine weevils? The little buggers have been eating through the roots of all my tender plants and succulents.

I've tried Provane but it only seems to be partially effective. Perhaps I'm making the solution too weak?

Any other ideas? They seem to have reached epidemic proportions...
  • Options
    A lot of my tomatoes stayed green this year.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Still green tomato fritters have been a particularly enjoyable (unhealthy) way to get my five a day...
  • Options
    GH, you say your pumpkin grew like a triffid ..... but no fruit?

First thing, are you overfeeding it or are you lucky enough to have soil so rich that everything turns to leaf?

Second ...... Like most of us, pumpkins need sex.

If you only had one pumpkin plant any flowers are unlikely to be fertilised, therefore no fruit.
    Answer, of course grow 2 or 3 plants together - and then they can all get on with rumpy-pumpy.

If the plants start getting too much growth and crowding each other out, then just cut back a little of the growth.
    The plant will then put more energy into fruit production.

Sometimes, the flowers are produced in the middle of a muggy wet spell - then they just rot .... no fruit.
    The other thing, pumpkins are perhaps from a slightly warmer climate than most parts of the UK, so you might need to get them off to an early start in pots indoors - and after you've murdered every single bastard slug. plant out after the danger of frost has passed.

That way you'll get a longer growing season.

That's all from Percy Throwup for now.

;o)
  • Options
    Gardening update LOL - wll mine is out there somewhere under the foot or so of snow that's fallen this week :-(
  • Options
    Can someone lend GH a pumpkin for tomorrow night .....?
  • Options
    Tomato crop had to be removed from the tree (I kid you not, put one plant in the ground and it must have produced 200 fruit) as all were still green and starting to split. Bought them indoors and they are ripening fine. Still got leeks in the ground as they seem to have started growing again and will leave the rest of the tatties in as they keep better in the ground and we don't seem to get ground frosts near the sea. Plenty of apples and picked the last over the weekend. Greenhouse next year as want to do chillies and various herbs.
  • Options
    Think i may see it saturday morning for first time in weeks what with rain snow ice darkness
  • Options
    I have Never lived in a house/flat with any garden how sad is that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]I have Never lived in a house/flat......

What's your caravan like, Rupert?

;o)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    anyone know a good source for seed potatoes, am allotmenting this year..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]anyone know a good source for seed potatoes, and allotmenting this year..

Tomato ketchup is a good sauce.
  • Options
    your jokes are worse than mine..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]anyone know a good source for seed potatoes, am allotmenting this year..

This is by far your best one yet mate , excellent
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll do a blog, now if someone can please come up with the info.. homebase seem to do them
  • Options
    planting season, but how soon should I risk runner beans and tomato plants outside? too early now?

planted garlic (january) potatoes, beetroot and radish, waiting a bit longer for chillies, cucumber, aubergine toms and runner beans, but want to put them in asap, particularly the runner beans hich are growing out of control indoors.
  • Options
    I've got a few runner beans and tomatoes under cloches. Last year my late sown runners caught up with my early ones so I'm probably wasting my time anyway I'm just impatient.
  • Options
    was sorting out the plants this weekend garden looking great everything coming on strong like Dowman i need either a greenhouse or a bigger Kitchen as my stuff is growing every where and needs to be in the ground but i am worried about the cold snap
  • Options
    Uodate. Runner beans are looking great, plenty of flowers and reached the top of the wigwam and spreading fast. Tomatoes in the ground now. Garlic nearly ready to lift. Radishes, had a few already, but most had gone woody after we got back from 2 weeks away so no more of them. Beetroot looking good, first should be ready soon. Peppers lettuce and chillies dead, probably not enough watering after outside planting. Courgettes looking good, will be a bumper harvest. Potatoes, can't keep the bastards down, even where they have not been planted for 2 years they try and take over. I even dug a drill to make sunny area for toms, expecting to throw the seeds away there was a half decent crop of them ready. Must be the land round here, we only have about a foot of soil which looks cracked and parched, but below that is moist sand and shingle which must be perfect for spuds, but they tend to grow on an industrial scale, with no water. Must get a proper greenhouse for next year.

Apple trees all looking good. Must chop a couple down that are getting old and try pear or plums.

Anyone know best place for cheap plum or pear trees?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plenty of plums over Croydon way
  • Options
    Update:

Unbelievable amount of tomatoes this year and they've rippened nicely. Also a huge crop of runner beans and potatoes.Really pleased with this year's harvest. How's everyone else get on?
  • Options
    runner beans and potatoes are fine. tomatoes are very late, but starting to grow nicely now. No apples this year, 6 apple trees and all of them were rubbish, either the harsh winter or they are coming to the end of their lives as they have not been great the last 2 years. Courgettes unstoppable, overloaded with them. Beetroot and Radish fine, Rhubabrb moved to a sunnier spot as not much happening, chillies and pepers poor, must invest in a greenhouse next spring.
  • Options
    managed to grow some pumpkins in my first attempt, potatoes, tomatoes, runner beans (once I'd tackled the black fly)

jury still out on my sweetcorn, and onions

Got a huge plot so have to do something fairly radical soon or they'll throw me off..
  • Options
    Had a great crop of potatoes, which has now come to an end. Carrots a bit of a disappointment. More carrots growing. Leeks looking good.

More fecking apples than we know what to do with - got a large box of eaters rotting in the garage and the tree is still loaded!

Our second year of growing veg. Will be doing more next year. We've got a large garden and I am slowly getting it turned over to crops!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Got a huge plot so have to do something fairly radical soon or they'll throw me off..

Get a friend to share it with you?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Saga Lout[/cite]More fecking apples than we know what to do with - got a large box of eaters rotting in the garage and the tree is still loaded!

http://www.howtomakecider.com/
  • Options
    Oh, I grew some chilli peppers and now have some mad hot sauce that blows my tiny little mind. and loads of chillis still spare.

I have grown some peppers, lots of them but they're small and I've only had one red one come through.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Got a huge plot so have to do something fairly radical soon or they'll throw me off..

Get a friend to share it with you?

my local friends have a life it seems.. or no interest, nor does the wife - can be a good thing of course.

I used a turf cutter to take the top layer off roughly half the plot (which is 250 sqm in total) but only managed to do about a fifth of it as the ground although grassy is far from smooth and littered with bramble bulbs. Have already purchased a brush clearer to keep the weeds down and the surrounding grass paths.
  • Options
    Have you got a shed, Razil? Every man needs a shed.