Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halford

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
Sunderland papers suggesting we might be prepared to offer £500k for him
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/Charlton-eye-cutprice-Sunderland-defender.4173091.jp

Can't imagine many deals will happen until we know if Bent and Faye will be on our wage bill next season, but if it does happen then what future for Moo2?

Comments

• Options
    for the love of Moo2 please no
  • Options
    Halford is too much of a liability at times.
    Moo2 can' t defend either but at least he is young enough to get better and we don't have to shell out £500k for him. Hopefully at that price Stoke or Hull will come in for him.
  • Options
    I can see him here next season, but as a season long loan only.

We simply haven't got a kitty big enough to spend £500k on a right back.
  • Options
    Neither can defend but both can get forward. Maybe Pards has designs on playing one of them right midfield. Also if Moo2 was to get injured who would we have at right back?
  • Options
    I'd be more than happy to take him at that price - he's a better defender than Moo2 and proven to create and score goals too. Agree it is probably all linked to us being able to shift a few out, though.

Forza Alfordi!
  • Options
    Don't want Halford.

Moo2 should be given the number 2 spot for next season. A great prospect in my eyes.
  • Options
    In agreement with Weegie, a capable player and not just for his exocet throw ins. Good getting forward, not too shabby in defence, made a few errors last year but so did most of the team. Season long loan would be great, if we can afford 500k for him then I anticipate the club actually has more to spend than we think.
  • Options
    We need 2 right backs don`t forget and both of these boys can get forward which is what we need. Good signing IMHO. Competion for the line up is essential.
  • Options
    I would be really worried about the style of play Pardew will be adopting next season if we sign Halford. He is a long ball, long throw player and we had to put up with enough of that rubbish last season.

Moo2 is a much better prospect imo.
  • Options
    I actually think his long throw was used rather sparingly to be honest. Halford can also play in midfield and has good passing. I can`t see any negatives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I feel I'm in the minority but I hope we do sign Halford. He always looked keen to run forward, and the long throw is a vital weapon.

Even if he is an average full back, the number of goals we could score from the throw in will give us many more points next season in my opinion.
  • Options
    £500k would sound like a decent deal, as long as he's also taking the corresponding cut in wages.

Long throw, willingness to take a free kick, and not the worst defender in the world - a good addition to a Championship squad, I'd say.
  • Options
    i'm with the get 'alfordi' posse , i prefer him to moo2 and think he'll grow in confidence the more he plays and i think he has a fairly decent range of passes in him unlike the hoofers at the back
  • Options
    He's the biggest hoofer of the lot!
    A 30 yard drive is a delicate pass in Greg's book.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]He's the biggest hoofer of the lot!
    A 30 yard drive is a delicate pass in Greg's book.

Agreed. He was the worst culprit of aimlessly hoofing up the pitch.
  • Options
    his hoofs went further than the others who can't knock it further than 20 yards
  • Options
    I just don't get this slating of Greg Halford. I think he is an excellent prospect & he would enhace our team / squad significantly if we could land him for next season. Maybe we should sponsor HIS shirt?
  • Options
    At £500K it would be a good deal.
  • Options
    I think he'd be a good signing if the price is right and i also think him and Moo2 can play in the same team.
  • Options
    Can't believe Sunderland paid 3.5 million for him...lol

If we could get him for 500k then that ain't bad at all, maybe we could give 'em Marcus as part of the deal :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I prefer Yassin, but at £500k, if he is used as cover for the whole right flank, I think it's not a bad deal.
  • Options
    I don't think we can't afford half a million for "cover"
  • Options
    Assuming some signings will be loans, I think we can, if it's for Cubs style "plays in a few positions".
  • Options
    actually Pards has said that the only signings he makes are for players he expects to be in the first team ie. not squad players
  • Options
    I'd definitely like to see him stay. At his best, some of his passing was better than most of the other first team. If he's up for it, then I say sign him, if we can.
  • Options
    If I was Yassin, I'd hand in a transfer request, Harford is not fit to lace his boots IMO.
  • Options
    Prefer Moo2, think he will only improve over time (defending wise), great going forward. Halford obviously has problems....Id take him on a free but not much else.
  • Options
    I'll keep him on loan, adds in certain positions, and Moo2 is still to raw for my liking
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Don't want Halford.

Moo2 should be given the number 2 spot for next season. A great prospect in my eyes.

A great PROSPECT not the finished article and was found out last season, needs to develop and be in competition for the place, I would be happy to see him and Halford fighting it out.
  • Options
    Had his faults but in mitigation also had his problems.

He did look committed to the cause and showed glimpses of better to come. Given his versatility I'd take him at the right price as he also gives us height, something we lacked at times last season.