Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood on the OS

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
Despite their new recruit being a free agent, Charlton will pay Rovers a 'developmental' compensation fee because he is under the age of 24 and that will be decided at a tribunal.

Comments

• Options
    two things : 1) I think FGR are being greedy. A development fee is meant to cover Clubs for when they have brought a player through their ranks and spent considerable time and expense developing them as with Defoe and now Bostock. FGR signed him last summer, only gave him a 1 yr deal and that isn't development. I reckon the tribunal will hand them no more than the 100k we are rumoured to have offered.

2) what price he will step off the bench and bang a couple past the Jack Army seeing as that will go down well being an ex-Bluebird.
  • Options
    That would be nice.
  • Options
    Another gamble on a striker...
  • Options
    what price he doesn't even make the squad
  • Options
    if he goes out on loan then it would've been pointless signing him. if he pushes dicko out of the picture/out on loan then it'll be even worse as he still hasn't had his chance yet.

marcus + one other to leave hopefully. too many up top. we need midfielders!
  • Options
    The best way to look at his transfer is that if he doesn't work out then in a year or two's time we'd surely get our 100k (and maybe more) back by selling him to a league one/two team.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]if he goes out on loan then it would've been pointless signing him. if he pushes dicko out of the picture/out on loan then it'll be even worse as he still hasn't had his chance yet.

How is it pointless? Do we buy people that walk into the 1st team, at an appropriate cost, or perhaps buy "rough diamonds" on the cheap and hone their skills?
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    because we need players to help us now, not in a years time when they've played 30 games in league 1
  • Options
    Dickson cost £35k, and we could selling him for 10 times that tomorrow.

Sometimes you need to take a pun, if we spend £100k on Fleetwood and he goes for £400k, then it's a good deal.

Why is this more of a punt then Dickson, especially when we have 4 senior strikers at the club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]if he goes out on loan then it would've been pointless signing him. if he pushes dicko out of the picture/out on loan then it'll be even worse as he still hasn't had his chance yet.

How is it pointless? Do we buy people that walk into the 1st team, at an appropriate cost, or perhaps buy "rough diamonds" on the cheap and hone their skills?
    because we need players to help us now, not in a years time when they've played 30 games in league 1
    Come on . No one expects Fleetwood to be the 1st name on the teamsheet!! And at the prices we paid for Dicko and Fleetwood I'm sure they're being seen as long term investments, not 1st teamers and these figures aren't high enough to prohibit us signing an immediate 1st team player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Dickson cost £35k, and we could selling him for 10 times that tomorrow.

Sometimes you need to take a pun, if we spend £100k on Fleetwood and he goes for £400k, then it's a good deal.

Why is this more of a punt then Dickson, especially when we have 4 senior strikers at the club

You make a good point however when we are appearently so much in debt that we we have to sell our best player mid season, why are we now spending money on yet another striker when it is clear to everyone (bar Pardew it would seem) that the area most in need of strengthening is the midfield.
  • Options
    As well as Bent I expect another couple to go. If we were offered say 300k for Dickson then I'd let him go and I reckon BigChris could be on his way too. Fleetwood, because of his background in football, is a better bet than Dickson. Plus the way Dickson got injured is hardly likely to impress.
  • Options
    We sold Andy Reid, because Andy Reid wanted to leave, and the money was good for a player who has been a consistant sick note.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We sold Andy Reid, because Andy Reid wanted to leave, and the money was good for a player who has been a consistant sick note.

why should people let little things like that cloud their judgement
  • Options
    Personally i think Iwelumo will go if we get a decent offer.
    Varney and gray will be first choice pairing, Todorov will be used mainly as a sub or a starter in the odd home game when the opposition sit deeper. Dickson and Fleetwood we'll have to see how they fare in pre-season and the reserves and McLeod is injured.
  • Options
    By the sound of some of the comments on here most of you think that we are just trying to make money buying & selling players like they were stocks & shares......I'm sure Pardew and the board know what they are doing.

Iexpect (hope !!) that Bent, Ilwelumo + an other of the strikers we have will be leaving before Sept 1st & maybe Mcleod when fit.

Although I am still waiting for our midfield to arrive.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan
    Come on . No one expects Fleetwood to be the 1st name on the teamsheet!! And at the prices we paid for Dicko and Fleetwood I'm sure they're being seen as long term investments, not 1st teamers and these figures aren't high enough to prohibit us signing animmediate1st team player.
    i'm not saying that. like barndoorlisbie said it's the midfield where we need the players right now. i'm not doubting fleetwood's ability etc, but is it really what we need right now? if iwelumo goes then yes, fair enough, but right now it doesn't look like it.
  • Options
    Who says we can't get midfielders in now we've signed Fleetwood? No one expect the conspriacy types on here.

I'm sure Pards has his targets and is waiting to get the players he wants, anyone would think the season starts tomorrow, let alone back for Pre season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We sold Andy Reid, because Andy Reid wanted to leave, and the money was good for a player who has been a consistant sick note.

Maybe you know more about the clubs finances than I do but there has been plenty on here that have justified the sale of Reid with the "we would have gone under had we not sold him" argument.

However my point is, are we really in a position to be "spending for the future" when the money could be more wisely spent on the players we need now i.e. a new central midfielder.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]

The future doesn't stop just because the present is here now. Fleetwood might not be a player for this season but he may be one in future seasons. We still have to look ahead and if he's better than anything coming through the reserves then maybe that's why we've signed him. It's a "punt" for the future but worth a gamble in my view. If he turns out to be a real find now, then even better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I worry about Pards fixation with strikers, should he not be looking at other areas? how many has he signed? and is this his way of admitting some of his purchases have not been very good? so we will find out when a few are sold...... who to go first?
  • Options
    Is the season starting tomorrow? Is the transfer window about to close? No and No.

From what I've heard, they know about the problem in central midfield, and are working to solve it.
  • Options
    I've got a sneaky feeling we've got a bit of a player on our hands here.

A mate of mine, who is a long time season ticket holder at Cardiff, has described Fleetwood as 'lightning quick' and says he was widely recognised at the best finisher when he was at the club.
    Whether he gets the run in the side that he'll probably need for wingers and midfielders (and vice versa) to get to know his runs and how he plays, I don't know.
    Perhaps Crewe will get their man after all - on loan.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan
    Come on . No one expects Fleetwood to be the 1st name on the teamsheet!! And at the prices we paid for Dicko and Fleetwood I'm sure they're being seen as long term investments, not 1st teamers and these figures aren't high enough to prohibit us signing animmediate1st team player.[/cite]
    [cite]
    i'm not saying that. like barndoorlisbie said it's the midfield where we need the players right now. i'm not doubting fleetwood's ability etc, but is it really what we need right now? if iwelumo goes then yes, fair enough, but right now it doesn't look like it.[/cite]

But this signing is hardly likely to distract the club from finding a suitable CM player is it, or are you saying that a club the size of ours should only focus on one player at a time and not risk multitasking? This is what a scouting network is for....Pards doesn't actually do everything himself you know?

Any business should focus on the here and now, but also look at the long-term strategy and putting things in place for the future. This is what that is. Simple as.

Can you imagine the uproar in a few years time if we'd passed on Fleetwood, he went on to score hatfuls of goals, and then we found out that we missed out on him because Pards was too busy and was only focused on CM position at the time?
  • Options
    long term strategy? i thought that was the whole aim of valley gold and the youth system?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]long term strategy? i thought that was the whole aim of valley gold and the youth system?

Im not sure if youre being serious.....I hope not
  • Options
    "Can you imagine the uproar in a few years time if we'd passed on Fleetwood, he went on to score hatfuls of goals, and then we found out that we missed out on him because Pards was too busy and was only focused on CM position at the time?"

Totally agree Dan.
  • Options
    i'd rather we paid this sort of money on a fleetwood than waste a £1m on the likes of mcleod , i suppose if he keeps signing strikers one might eventually come good ..
    GIVE VARNEY A CHANCE HE'S THE MAN
  • Options
    At £100K or whatever the tribunal make us pay he's great value and hardly eats into the budget for a central midfielder.
  • Options
    id really like to see varney and gray given a season to produce the goods up front perhaps with sub support from the likes of dickson and fleetwood , and iwelumo to be sold. Tho how we see things from the terraces rarely coincides with pards thinking, its likely he will keep iwelumo for the goals he gave us last year and one of varney and gray will go.