Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Fleetwood on the OS

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm all for the club taking £100k gambles than £1M gambles - and yes I do still live in hope that we will sign a quality midfielder before the season starts.
    I'm with you Dan - as long as these gambles get a chance to prove themselves.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ross[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan
    Come on . No one expects Fleetwood to be the 1st name on the teamsheet!! And at the prices we paid for Dicko and Fleetwood I'm sure they're being seen as long term investments, not 1st teamers and these figures aren't high enough to prohibit us signing animmediate1st team player.[/cite]
    [cite]
    i'm not saying that. like barndoorlisbie said it's the midfield where we need the players right now. i'm not doubting fleetwood's ability etc, but is it really what we need right now? if iwelumo goes then yes, fair enough, but right now it doesn't look like it.[/cite]

But this signing is hardly likely todistractthe club from finding a suitable CM player is it, or are you saying that a club the size of ours should only focus on one player at a time and not riskmultitasking? This is what a scouting network is for....Pards doesn't actually do everything himself you know?

Any business should focus on the here and now, but also look at the long-term strategy and putting things in place for the future. This is what that is. Simple as.

Can you imagine the uproar in a few years time if we'd passed on Fleetwood, he went on to score hatfuls of goals, and then we found out that we missed out on him because Pards was too busy and was only focused on CM position at the time?

Dan, a rational well thought out and considered statement.

Let's wait and see what the squad looks like on 1 September.
  • Options
    Moan moan, fookin moan.

We don't sign anyone - people moan.
    We do sign someone - people moan.

I just love the fact that we seemingly have so many FIFA qualified coaches on this board - or should that be "bored" - who know so so sooooooo much more than the people at the club and who can spot a decent player based on TV snippets but equally dismiss a player based on a few brief "live" appearances. What's more, they are always - yes ALWAYS - right.

By the way, it's both sides of the argument I'm on about here - am not being "pro" or "anti" anything.

So, come on then fellas - which of you have got your badges???
  • Options
    not me but i am an expert
  • Options
    Its still only June! I'm sure Pardew is aware we need midfielders & that a couple will be heading Valley-wards this summer.

I have a feeling it may go 1 of 2 ways. Either Pardew will get a couple of tough centre midfielders in, or he will surprise us all with a Shelvey, Wright midfield two, like he did with starting Sam last year. Or an alternative version will be Zhi(if he stays) & Holland, & we'll be in the same boat next year-DOH!!

By the way, welcome to the club Stuart! May your life in Charlton red be victorious! I'm sure you'd be shocked/curious to read of your departure & projected profit-margin, mere hours after your signing/official unveilling. Every player who signs gets my full backing until proven absolute bagheri! :-)

Aah, life at The Valley! :-)
  • Options
    I really don't see the problem with signing a player like this. We are no longer in the Premier League we therefore no longer shop at the big boys table & we have to look and scratch around further down the food chain. £100,000 or whatever is not a huge risk for a club like us at the moment, even if he comes in & does not quite cut it we are likely to get most if not all our money back.
  • Options
    I got a badge
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] Dan, a rational well thought out and considered statement.

Let's wait and see what the squad looks like on 1 September.

"Even a broken watch can be right twice a day" ;)
  • Options
    Varney, Gray, Todorov, Bent, Iwelumo. Dickson, Fleetwood, Mcleod

Looking at that group, Bent will defienatly go and McCleod is injured till end of year, more or less. We then have 6 strikers, two of which are prospects rather than the real mccoy. Varney, Grey and Todorov are a good group of strikers at this level and ther Coventry game showed a potential for varney and Grey to develop an understanding. That really leaves just Iwelumo as surplus to requirements.
  • Options
    I'd be surprised if Pards gets rid of Iwellumo.

I reckon he's a decent Championship striker and if he goes, you struggle to see from that group who plays the 'bully boy' type roll against teams like Stoke.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I'd be surprised if Pards gets rid of Iwellumo.

I reckon he's a decent Championship striker and if he goes, you struggle to see from that group who plays the 'bully boy' type roll against teams like Stoke.

Iwelumo a 'bully boy' ?. LOL. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag !! He is so not intimidating. I really hope he goes as his presence distracts us from playing football. It's in the centre of the park that we need a bully-boy.
  • Options
    this maybe should be on a seperate thread, but never mind.........

a few observations from the past few days:

1) finally told that we've signed Fleetwood - picture on OS of him wearing some black & white kit from his previous team - does he not get the same respect as Hudson & have a picture of him at the VALLEY holding/wearing OUR kit !

2) Norwich close to a signing a defensive midfield on a free from Forest and BBC report a few Narwich fans venting frustration at Reodor for not bringing anyone else in yet...............so far we have swopped defenders with palarse and gained a prolific goalscsorer from the Doc Martens league or wherever - still no sign of our major problem area being resolved.........midfield.

3) Start to the season looks really tough - can't see us getting much from the first 4 fixtures and we have to play all 3 promoted sides before Oct....hard times ahead.
  • Options
    Golfie's back !!!!

1) Perhaps all the new red shirts have sold out, 2) do we really want a player who masquerades part time in Star Wars and 3) agree it's a tough start but you have to play everyone sometime or another plus it will give a good indicator of which way our season will go.
  • Options
    LargeAddick - I must confess, I'm no longer a season ticket holder and as I live in Bristol I don't get to see as many games as I'd like.
    But whenever I've seen Iwellumo play for us, I've always thought he's look the most physical and agressive of our strikers...perhaps I'm wrong??

I take your point about the 'bully-boy' midfielder though. I think we worried too much about the opposition last season - 'They're a big, strong side' etc.
    If we play a neat passing game with pace we should be able to roll over most teams. I didn't see too many bruisers in the West Brom side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]I'd be surprised if Pards gets rid of Iwellumo.

Iwelumo a 'bully boy' ?. LOL. Couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag !! He is so not intimidating. I really hope he goes as his presence distracts us from playing football. It's in the centre of the park that we need a bully-boy.

I don't see how you can blame Chris for the piss poor service he was given.

I'm sure he, more than anyone, was frustrated by the aimless long balls that were punted up to him!!
  • Options
    Good piece with Fleetword on the OS:

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32496&newstype=p

I started my career at Cardiff so I've played in the Championship before," he continued. "But I took things for granted a little bit when I was there.

"I was being hyped as the next big thing and it went to my head a little bit. I didn't think I had to work that hard so now this is a great opportunity for me to prove I can do it in the Championship and I'm more experienced than I was back then.

"It's a second chance really for me at this level so I'm determined not to miss out on this opportunity. I've got confidence in my ability and hopefully the staff at Charlton have as well. I'm determined to prove I can play at this level and make an impact."
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    He's certainly laying himself wide open if he looks for one moment that he's not trying. Brave boy!
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Golfie

before we have even kicked a ball jeeeeees man chill with the still

we are in for a tough year you are not wrong there the reasons why i believe are as follows

it is the chumpionship and it is a tough league devoid of real quality but due to the foriegn imports in the prem there are some really good players at this level 15/20 years ago most of them would have been old 1st divison players.

we are not the club we used to be or should be imo we are an average championship side.

we have limited resources for players

we have limited talent of current players some are not what we like to see in this league

we have fans who expectations are high due to our past success

we have the parchute money for this year only so the pressure is on

My thoughts are that lets hope Pards has been planning for this season that people take us for granted as a spent force that he only tinkers with squad gets in a good midfielder therefore the team he tried with and failed last season all know eachother a bit better and are not such a team of individuals (which IMO happend alot last year)

Lets hope that Shelvey plays his socks off and forces Pards to pick him regardless of age

Lets hope ZZ has form that he sarted last season with all season now his jet setting should be behind him

Lets hope we dont boo we just put all our thoughts into positives and turn this season into one we wont forget for positive reasons

oh and cheer up for gods sake and wait until the doom happen cos it might never happen
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]

3) Start to the season looks really tough - can't see us getting much from the first 4 fixtures and we have to play all 3 promoted sides before Oct....hard times ahead.

Start to the season does look tough - it's the better sides in the division that we generally did very well against last season,
    so just supposing that we did make a fairly decent start?

Before October we could have seen off a few fancied sides and be sitting near the top of the table. Why not?

It seems pretty self-defeating to promulgate doom & gloom at a time when major new signings haven't even been made yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oggy back with the optimistic slant on things ... i love it.... last season was a mare , there's no way this coming season can be any worse , is there???
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Start to the season does look tough - it's the better sides in the division that we generally did very well against last season,
    so just supposing that we did make a fairly decent start?

Quite a few sides won't want to be playing us early in the season either and early in the season is a good time to be playing some of the fancied sides, those that have had a fair turnover of players will still be settling in.