Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

to me, it's looking increasingly likely that we

edited June 2008 in General Charlton
are going to have to sell before we can buy. How long is it going to take us to offload the likes of Bent, Faye, Fortune, Thomas, maybe a striker ? In the meantime we are going to miss out on targets as a consequence. I approached this summer pretty confident that Pards could/would sort it out especially considering his 'we'll steal a march on other teams' scenario. However, I am now beginning to worry a bit that we might get left behind due to a lack of available cash. I am being too pessimistic ? Am I worrying unduly ? I mean, I wouldn't mind if we were actually being linked with anyone ......

Comments

• Options
    spot on mate as I've said on previous threads I'm afraid, either that or things are unbelievably quiet, could be the Euros though I'm not sure we are in that market
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Im quite looking forward to seeing this midfield :-

Sam, Shelvey, Wright, Basey.

If they are up the top with these four the club will be very wealthy in a years time.
  • Options
    hmm see you in league 1 then..

:D
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]hmm see you in league 1 then..

:D

agreed !! Shelvey is a prospect but only that. We can't rely on him to play week-in week-out next season and can't heap too much expectations on his very young shoulders. Sam hasn't really impressed so far and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Wright, in my opinion having watched him in the ressies, isn't up to it in our division. Basey hasn't the pace to play wide left but I agree he is a decent player. With that midfield quartet though I'm afraid we'd be doomed.
  • Options
    we need an injection of creative class into the midfield somewhere or say goodbye to the CS
  • Options
    Patience

They are coming

Pards and Co are on the case
  • Options
    shelveys been given a training programme for over the summer to beef him up a bit according to my snout - so he's ready for the rigours of the CCC.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Agree about Shelvey. He's certainly a talent but would be amazed to see him play more than 20 matches in the season.

As far as transfers are concerned I think it is quiet everywhere. Not many clubs have seen much activity. I still laugh at people when they say we have 'missed' certain players when I doubt Pardew ever went for them. I hope he knows who he wants and will get them but I also agree he will have to shed at least 5 but more than likely 10 more players.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]shelveys been given a training programme for over the summer to beef him up a bit according to my snout - so he's ready for the rigours of the CCC.

Fags and Kebabs & Larger are the order of the day
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]are going to have to sell before we can buy. How long is it going to take us to offload the likes of Bent, Faye, Fortune, Thomas, maybe a striker ? In the meantime we are going to miss out on targets as a consequence. I approached this summer pretty confident that Pards could/would sort it out especially considering his 'we'll steal a march on other teams' scenario. However, I am now beginning to worry a bit that we might get left behind due to a lack of available cash. I am being too pessimistic ? Am I worrying unduly ? I mean, I wouldn't mind if we were actually being linked with anyone ......

Transfer window hasn't officially opened yet. July 1st will herald the start of the goldrush!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]Transfer window hasn't officially opened yet. July 1st will herald the start of the goldrush!

Yes it has but a lot of contracts do end on June 30th.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stefco[/cite]Transfer window hasn't officially opened yet. July 1st will herald the start of the goldrush!

Yes it has but a lot of contracts do end on June 30th.

yeah, just like Hudson's did. All this 'the window opens July 1st' is all crap. Look at all the deals already done. Just means that the contracts signed start 1st July.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Is he (shelvey) on the Wayne Rooney diet, hopefully not including the fags
  • Options
    The Times did an article a few weeks back and said the window opens on June 1st but July 1st can see a lot of movement by players leaving it late to try and get the best deal before there old deal runs out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I also agree he will have to shed at least 5 but more than likely 10 more players.

I think Murray said that combined with those released we would see around another 5 out and 2 or 3 more in. this is ok as long as we lose the less important players and gain a few with a touch of class.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]I also agree he will have to shed at least 5 but more than likely 10 more players.

I think Murray said that combined with those released we would see around another 5 out and 2 or 3 more in. this is ok as long as we lose the less important players and gain a few with a touch of class.

Who are the less important players? Those that disrupt the dressing room and team spirit or those who aren't quite as talented on the field? My view is the former.
  • Options
    I don't have the issues that some on here have with a few of the players but i think we desperately need to get rid of Bent and Faye, for their wages alone, despite anything else. I think we'll lose at least 2 players that will p*ss the fans off but hopefully this will lead to the right people coming in.
  • Options
    I agree. I'd also like to see Thomas in the leaving group and feel we need at least one classy defender and two midfielders.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]. I think we'll lose at least 2 players that will p*ss the fans off .

is that in addition to McCarthy ??
  • Options
    The thing is by now we would have hoped to have offloaded Bent to Wigan but that deal didn't go through. Unless we sell the likes of Magic, Varney, Thomas and Ambrose we are unlikely to raise much dosh., although getting rid of Faye will halve the wages bill.....:-).

Without a sackload of spare cash, or paying OTT deals for players, who are we actually missing out on? Hoolahan - yes possibly but perhaps his package price is just too much to swallow when we may have priorities elsewhere. After all we do have one or two wide players already.

Much as I hate to say it, we have to be patient and the clubs resources mean that they are going to have to be very canny.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe the board can rent out Marcus to ITV to appear in Im a Celebraty Get Me out Here !!!
  • Options
    "I think Murray said that combined with those released we would see around another 5 out and 2 or 3 more in. this is ok as long as we lose the less important players and gain a few with a touch of class."

...so is that one more in then Matt77 - or 2/3 more on top of Hudson and Fleetwood??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]. I think we'll lose at least 2 players that will p*ss the fans off .

is that in addition to McCarthy ??

I think so yes. I'll only be really upset about Paddy Mc going, if we sell Boughy.
  • Options
    Why cant our midfield next season be

Holland, Shelvey, Waggs,Thomas, Ambrose, ZZ, Semedo, Sam

all are good enough in this league i beleive that if Shelvey performs well he will get more of a run than you think,

look at bostock at the scum last year he came in showed what he could do and stayed in the team, if peter taylor had showed some confidence in him at the start they may have gone straight up

i think we need a tough tackling midfielder however we havent got the money so we will have to make do

give yoof a chance we may all be surprised, we are not there day in day out we dont know what they can face physically
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]...so is that one more in then Matt77 - or 2/3 more on top of Hudson and Fleetwood??

I think when he said it that the Hudson deal was done and the Fleetwood deal was nearly wrapped up. Even 3 players of the right standard will move the team forward in a massive way.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Why cant our midfield next season be

Holland, Shelvey, Waggs,Thomas, Ambrose, ZZ, Semedo, Sam

all are good enough in this league i beleive that if Shelvey performs well he will get more of a run than you think,

look at bostock at the scum last year he came in showed what he could do and stayed in the team, if peter taylor had showed some confidence in him at the start they may have gone straight up

i think we need a tough tackling midfielder however we havent got the money so we will have to make do

give yoof a chance we may all be surprised, we are not there day in day out we dont know what they can face physically

As long as Holland is nowhere near the starting line up I think that would be ok.

Play Semedo just in front of the back 4 with Yoga and Moot2 providing the width.
  • Options
    put Basey in that mix as well and we could be very strong i think Holland has a big part to play in Shelveys developement so i exopect to see him lining up alongside him
  • Options
    Semedo, jesus, did nobody see how shit he actually was last season??
  • Options
    I am with you there CPL but we are the minority so duck for cover buddy
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Huh?
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Semedo, jesus, did nobody see how shit he actually was last season??[/quote]