Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iran v Charlton July 20th - Cancelled

Comments

• Options
    OohAaah will definately get a poor turnout in Tehran!
  • Options
    Surely this game will be in jepardy after Irans test launch of misiles today.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Surely this game will be in jepardy after Irans test launch of misiles today.

Maybe Bent M and Faye will be mistaken for missiles and fired a long way from Charlton:-)
  • Options
    Where exactly do you think they would stick the blue touch paper ?
  • Options
    http://www.newsnow.co.uk/A/287208703?

I started this thread so now I'll finish it. The game's now off because of the missile testing and Iran FA are going to sue us. Another Charlton classic :-)
  • Options
    Well, this will certainly 'raise our profile' around the globe if nothing else!!
  • Options
    Tehran - English Championship League football club Charlton Athletic has cancelled a friendly match with the Iranian national side, giving Iran's missile tests as reason, ISNA news agency reported Sunday. Iran has not only once again defied the demand by world powers to suspend uranium enrichment but also test-fired earlier this week several missiles, including a long-range rocket which some Iranian officials said would target Israel if its nuclear sites were attacked.

Charlton Athletic was to play against Iran on July 20 in Marbella when the Iranian team prepares for the World Cup qualification games.

The English team however told the Iranian side that the British government has ordered the cancellation of the game.

As a result of the cancellation, the Iranian Football Federation (FFI) plans to sue Charlton Athletic over what the federation called a one-sided annulment of the contract.

The English club sent a fax to the FFI on Sunday, citing the missile tests as reason for the cancellation.

The FFI in a statement condemned the club's decision as "irresponsible and unsporting" and said it would follow up the case with FIFA.

The FFI also claimed that involving political issues in sports was against international regulations, although Iran itself has in the last three decades refrained from competing with Israeli athletes to protest the Israeli policies in Palestine and to voice support for the Palestinian people.

Two Spanish teams have also cancelled friendly games against Iran's national team amidst the international row over Iran's nuclear programme and controversial missile tests, although Marbella and Malaga cited "technical reasons" for the cancellation.

Iran's national team and its coach Ali Daei have since Thursday held a training camp in Marbella and planned to play several game
  • Options
    oh not to worry Gordon Brown will back us up
  • Options
    lol!

it will be the B-Mob Vs the Revolutionary Guards after all this....

f##k Palace - we have new rivals!!
  • Options
    This is hilarious!!! The only worrying aspect of course is the threat of being sued and god knows we cant afford that!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We'll if its cancelled after pressure from the British government, then Gordon and co will have to fit the bill...
  • Options
    part of me would encourage the club to tell the british govt. where to go and play the game anyway, but the paranoid part of me thinks that if we did this then getting work permits for any non-eu players might suddenly become very difficult for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]part of me would encourage the club to tell the british govt. where to go and play the game anyway, but the paranoid part of me thinks that if we did this then getting work permits for any non-eu players might suddenly become very difficult for us.
    ...and it isn't difficult for us anyway???
  • Options
    Surely there would be something in the contract that allows such a cancellation, if there isn't then Charlton need to get change their legal advisors.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: lancashire lad[/cite]Surely there would be something in the contract that allows such a cancellation.

Funny emough Lancy, i don't reckon too many football contracts have the proviso that the opposition start launching nuclear missiles !!
  • Options
    Sounds a bit naive on Charlton's part to me - the Spanish clubs find a technicality to use as a get out from the contract, we just blurt out the real reason and potentially end up embroiled in a massive political and legal issue. Whoops!
  • Options
    fancy not waiting till it was all confirmed what the reason was for cancelling before letting it get out in the media!

dammed if you do, dammed if you don't!
  • Options
    suzi,I'm given to understand that Milton Keynes Dons are watching the situation very closely!! LOL!
  • Options
    "We had gone through all the proper administrative channels and were in the process of negotiating television rights to broadcast the match but Charlton have changed their mind.”

For a behind closed door friendly?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]This is hilarious!!! The only worrying aspect of course is the threat of being sued and god knows we cant afford that![/quote]

Maybe due to our financial plight we would qualify for Legal Aid. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    oh dear... i think we've upset people.

Freakin brits
  • Options
    "Big Freaking Deal, Charlton Club can go to hell as far as I am concerned. IFF should not ask any English club for friendly game, These clubs are all owned by Jews and off course they do anything to embarrass Iran."

lol
  • Options
    to be honest, football should not get involved in politics, but if the goverment or FIFA tell us not to play, there's not much we can do.
  • Options
    Seems strange to me that you have a contract for a behind closed doors friendly game. Were Iran paying us? Charlton have not even confirmed to its supporters that any game was going to take place as far as I know.
  • Options
    sport has always been involved in politics, apartheid, etc
  • Options
    well i don't think it's a coincidence that iran have stopped firing missiles.
  • Options
    Heh - the OS is running very slowly as well...

Reuters
  • Options
    read the forum

what a bunch of mugs

If they sue i hope the goverment will foot the bill
  • Options
    The Guardian have picked up on this:

English club Charlton Athletic have denied claims that a pre-season friendly against Iran was called off for political reasons.
    Iranian media said on Monday that a complaint would be lodged to world governing body FIFA after Charlton pulled out of the match due to be played in Spain this week.
    "We are going to lodge an official complaint to FIFA over Charlton's behaviour," Tehran Times daily quoted Iranian Football Federation vice-president Mehdi Taj as saying.
    "(World) football officials have emphasised that politics should be kept away from sports, so we ask why the English disregarded FIFA's motto," Taj said.
    Championship (second division) side Charlton arrived in Spain on Monday for a pre-season training camp where they hoped to play two private warm-up matches.
    However, a club spokesman said that despite discussions with the Iranians, there had been no agreement on a match.
    "There was never a friendly arranged so to say it had been called off would be incorrect," the spokesman said.
    "We had discussions but they were never concluded. We decided not to play Iran, it was a club decision and certainly nothing to do with politics."
    Iran drew criticism last week from the European Union, the United States and Israel after it announced that it had conducted missile tests.
  • Options
    Or in other words, the government told us to say it wasnt politics.