Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

things that irrationally aggravate me # 1984233

People saying 'EPL' instead of 'the premier league' or 'premiership'

Every time I see it written I can almost hear some whiny voiced yank tool on ESPN saying it...

Comments

• Options
    Is is Premier League or Premiership these day, f*cked if I know. Bloody Yanks, they're always doing this, like calling The Open, the English Open.

Another thing that irritates me is the reference to "sides" on American style restaurant menus and "fries" instead of chips. Why do we have to buy into a kind of American mono-culture crap. My son now talks of "he landed on his butt", this winds me up.

I am definitely turning into a grumpy old man........
  • Options
    People who indicate as they turn, or halfway through a manouvre, thanks for the scoop, I kind of guessed what you were doing by now you knob jockey.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DA9[/cite]People who indicate as they turn, or halfway through a manouvre, thanks for the scoop, I kind of guessed what you were doing by now you knob jockey.

Wouldn't call that irrational DA9 more than enough reason to get the camel over that!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Binga could be worse your son could have said "he landed on his fanny". Which in the case of some of our players could very well be true no matter which side of the pond ur from.
  • Options
    Women who wait to the last second to hunt around their handbag for their purse, then start to count out the exact money....grrrrrrrrr
  • Options
    I hate to admit it but EPL has slipped into my vocabulary. In SE Asia, everyone calls it the EPL. Taxi drivers ask 'Where do you come from?', I reply 'England'. They say 'Oh, EPL. You must support Manchester United'. The response of 'Nah, Charlton' is met with blank looks.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Binga could be worse your son could have said "he landed on his fanny". Which in the case of some of our players could very well be true no matter which side of the pond ur from.

Actually I agree but he's nine and he's only just found out what an english fanny means...:-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]I hate to admit it but EPL has slipped into my vocabulary. In SE Asia, everyone calls it the EPL. Taxi drivers ask 'Where do you come from?', I reply 'England'. They say 'Oh, EPL. You must support Manchester United'. The response of 'Nah, Charlton' is met with blank looks.

I remember years ago in Corfu (94) with the ex wife, she got a bite which went nasty, had to go to the local witch doctor, he saw my Charlton tats and started reeling off our players and current league position, I was stunned, he read everything English paper and watched every English game, he was like an encyclopedia, but most people do say "Charlton who?"
  • Options
    My other half not screwing the top part of the electric fan to the stand that I had just retrieved from the very warm loft last night, so when I pick it up and and it falls everywhere it breaks the metal surround and casing.....I thought I was being helpful she said........women, not a cheap one either, but apparently, even though she has used it on many occasions, moved it around the bedroom, its my fault for not telling her she needed to do it.
  • Options
    The mrs wandering off with ALL the towels after she has had a shower and me geting out soaking wet looking for one grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "I remember years ago in Corfu (94) with the ex wife, she got a bite which went nasty, had to go to the local witch doctor, he saw my Charlton tats and started reeling off our players and current league position, I was stunned, he read everything English paper and watched every English game, he was like an encyclopedia, but most people do say "Charlton who?"

When I went to Euros in Sweden in 92, I stayed in Copenhagen for the first two games and got the ferry over to Malmo for the matches. I got stopped in customs on the way out and when the guy pulled out my Charlton shirt from the bag he lifted it up and said in a very loud voice (a bit like the swedish chef from the muppets) ALAN SIMONSEN!
  • Options
    moving things around it supermarkets......sure the boss thinks right time tom play musical chairs its too easy for them....
  • Options
    Dgent last week in ASDA Charlton looking 4 Paxo couldnt find it so i asked the 10 year old stacking shelves where is the paxo. He kindly showed me a chicken ! so iasked and explained that i didnt want a chicken i wanted the Paxo. He went and got the 12 year old who asked me what i wanted and we again went to the chicken section and i was again showed a chicken ! So i did my best Garry Rhodes bit and explained what Paxo was and whats done with it. They went off and got the 16 year old , who before he showed me a chicken was interupted by a kind lady who could see i was about to fillet all 3 ofthe children and said " the paxo is on the end ofthe isle love they moved it ".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Dgent last week in ASDA Charlton looking 4 Paxo couldnt find it so i asked the 10 year old stacking shelves where is the paxo. He kindly showed me a chicken ! so iasked and explained that i didnt want a chicken i wanted the Paxo. He went and got the 12 year old who asked me what i wanted and we again went to the chicken section and i was again showed a chicken ! So i did my best Garry Rhodes bit and explained what Paxo was and whats done with it. They went off and got the 16 year old , who before he showed me a chicken was interupted by a kind lady who could see i was about to fillet all 3 ofthe children and said " the paxo is on the end ofthe isle love they moved it ".

You should have told them to get stuffed....

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]The mrs wandering off with ALL the towels after she has had a shower and me geting out soaking wet looking for one grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

er please not this early... i'm having visuals here.
  • Options
    oiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii steady. I didnt say the site was wonderous did i ? why she has to take all the towels God knows ?
  • Options
    Of all the poxy americanisms that have crept into our beloved language, my most hated has to be "can I get".

Don't matter where I am and who's saying it, when I hear that I just want to chin the prick....YOU'RE NOT IN NEW YORK YOU C**T...TALK PROPERLY!!!!!
  • Options
    my americanism is "go figure!" - when i hear that it sends a rush of blood to the head
  • Options
    The Americanism I dislike is "Do the math" rather than "Do the maths".
  • Options
    me too. another one.

i work with only americans. tho when the children who have grown up here go back to the states for holidays they get odd looks for saying loo, bin and brilliant all the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    In NY once, the waitress asked me what I wanted to drink;

"A bottle of Budweiser please"
    "Excuse me"
    "Sorry Sir"
    Waitress turns to D and says;
    "What is he saying?"....like I'm some kind of retard
    "A bottle of Budweiser" say D
    " Oh, a boddle" says the ignoramus
  • Options
    When i lived in the US moons ago was on Long Beach in Long Beach was with this Nothern Monkey mate watching this yank with a metal detector. So my mate the Yorky says to the yank
    "ehh up mate u found owt?"
    and the the yank "found out what ?"
    the Yorky "nay nay fella found owt today"
    the "yank "FOUND OUT WHAT !!!"

i think they are still on the beach it was about 1985.
  • Options
    Classic...made for each other!
  • Options
    you do the math.
  • Options
    Pro ject......when its quite simply project....always pulling the Mrs up for that one (amongst many other Australianisms like Soccer) bless her. Have to forgive her though....especially after getting me the number plate :-)
  • Options
    American soccer (football) comentators.
    LA galaxy vs New york:
    "And Beckingham is setting up the set-kick he hits it into the end-zone...and its deflected of the defenders shin protecting armoor into the goal net...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL (breaths in) GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL!" ggggr
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]Of all the poxy americanisms that have crept into our beloved language, my most hated has to be "can Iget".

Don't matter where I am and who's saying it, when I hear that I just want to chin the prick....YOU'RE NOT IN NEW YORK YOU C**T...TALK PROPERLY!!!!!
    GAAAARRRRGHHH that drives me ****ing nuts as well. Every time I go into a coffee house EVERY - SINGLE - PERSON in front of me in the queue says it. Arsebiscuits.
  • Options
    People that que jump when they can see other comuters queing in a civil way
  • Options
    litter louts especially those who throw drinks cans from vehicles moving at speed on motorways. Not only is it untidy but dangerous too.
  • Options
    meter readers - they always seem to call when i'm having my dinner.
    bible bashers - the only people i open the door to without looking out of the window to see who's knocked.