Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pessimism v Optimism

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
After City Addicks I felt quite confident for the coming season, but then I see all the activity in the Championship and the clubs coming down and my natural pessimism, I am not confoident of our chances of improving our position inot the paly offs, anyone else feel that way?

Comments

• Options
    I don't feel positive at the moment. But in reality, it's just too early to say. Anyway I'd rather start the season not very hopeful and then be pleasantly surprised, than have a season last year where everyone was ridiculously overconfident just to be bitterly disappointed in the end (or half way through).
  • Options
    Till we get rid of Bent and Faye im pessimistic. We know even if we do get rid of em it will be one day before the season starts. Just dont see us finishing in top 6.
  • Options
    You ain't proper Charlton unless you are pessimistic. FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]You ain't proper Charlton unless you are pessimistic. FACT
    Phew glad to qualify
  • Options
    I don't feel positive at the moment either, particularly if it means we have to sell Bent and Faye before Pardew can bring in anymore replacements, as GH says, but what if we can't till the day before the season starts?

I can't think of any clubs mug enough to take on those two, leaving our preparations falling short by the day.
  • Options
    Optimistic - even more so when we rake in £3M for Marcus and Amdy :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: EGAddick[/cite]but what if we can't till the day before the season starts?

Then we don't have the cash to do anything.
  • Options
    As I said on another thread I'll be very lucky to see Charlton back in the top tier in my lifetime.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]You ain't proper Charlton unless you are pessimistic. FACT

LOL so true.

I really don't know. We badly need a midfield (Holland and Shelvey are both at the extremes of the age range for all their qualities) but we have toddy back and Gray and Varney could work.

Youga and Moo2 promise excitement going forward and heart attacks defending.

I am wildly optimistic about Basey making a real impact perhaps with him behind Youga.

Part of me thinks shorn of expectations, with a smaller, hopefully tighter squad and a large dose of reality from last year plus not being seen as the big scalps anymore we may be more of a team.

Another part fears that we'll play like we did in the run in!
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]As I said on another thread I'll be very lucky to see Charlton back in the top tier in my lifetime.

Come on Len, I know you are an old codger ; - ) but there will be time for a few more turns of the wheel of fortune before you shuffle off your mortal coil. At least I sincerley hope so and that we both see the side back in the top flight.

We've gone up three times in your life time already and maybe only one of those was expected so don't give up just yet.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]As I said on another thread I'll be very lucky to see Charlton back in the top tier in my lifetime.

I said that after Lennies team were relegated, well cose to that it was somethiong like, the only successful promotion campaign I'll ever see is from the 3rd tier to the 2nd tier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am the ultimate optimist, I expect us to win every game, I sit there, we could be 2-0 down with five minutes left and I still think we could snatch a draw.

I am confident we will win the league this year. We did so much better against the better sides last season, and remember that this year there are a lot more of these bigger teams for us to play well against.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I am the ultimate optimist, I expect us to win every game, I sit there, we could be 2-0 down with five minutes left and I still think we could snatch a draw.

I am confident we will win the league this year. We did so much better against the better sides last season, and remember that this year there are a lot more of these bigger teams for us to play well against.

I sit there and we are 3-0 up with three minutes to go, I think "we might get a draw out of this one..."
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    algarve you will find life is much better if you look at the glass as not only half full, but diamond encrusted and standing next to that glass is a bikini-clad waitress asking sir if he would like a top up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]I am the ultimate optimist, I expect us to win every game, I sit there, we could be 2-0 down with five minutes left and I still think we could snatch a draw.

Life is more or less a self-fulfilling prophecy - if you give yourself no chance and give up, you get nothing.

On the other hand, many teams have come back from 2-0 down to get a result, so if you believe you've got a chance - then however unlikely, that chance is always still there.

It's up to you to go for it.

And even if you don't get that result, you know in your heart that you' gave it your best shot - and you end the game with your tails up and raring to go in the next.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]

I sit there and we are 3-0 up with three minutes to go, I think "we might get a draw out of this one..."

algarve you will find life is much better if you look at the glass as not only half full, but diamond encrusted and standing next to that glass is a bikini-clad waitress asking sir if he would like a top up.

Life... don't talk to me about life... (said Marvin style).
  • Options
    I believe we will win the league the same way i have for the last 28 years

up the addicks
  • Options
    I go away for a week and nothing changes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I go away for a week and nothing changes
    You're not that important that if you go away the world falls apart mate!
  • Options
    The glass is always full, its just the ratio of air to liquid that changes
  • Options
    Things may not change over a week but they certainly change over a season. I am less optimistic than I was this time last year and at the start of the season, although I was a bit concerned about Pards. We expected automatic promotion then, this year we are optpmistic about reaching the play offs.

I haven't lost hope however, and I hope they can pull in a couple of decent signings out of the bag, and offload some of the waste of spaces. That being said it will be an interesting season either way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]just kill the f*ckers
    ;-)
  • Options
    i'm with len , it aint happening again not for along long time .....
    i'll be happy if we finish above palace and can repeat our double over them , as long as we stay up!!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I am generally pessimistic from game to game but right now I feel quite excited by and thus optimistic about the forthcoming season. My reasons to be cheerful are:

1. Many of our team had difficult/complicated seasons last year

Tody - was injured for most of it
    Varney - had a very slow start due to pre-season injury
    Moo2 - injured then lost his place to loan players
    Magic - in and out with injuries
    Sam - Good start then injuries hampered his season

2. New/Almost New Players to Club or Squad

Hudson - Looks a solid purchase
    Gray - came with some "personal issues" which hampered his start at the club
    Youga - was playing somewhere else for half of it then played only a few games before being injured again
    Dickson - playing somewhere else for half the season, then injured
    Shelvey - one for the future but could feature increasingly
    Waggy - difficult to tell from his limited appearances but again one for the future
    Fleetwood - promise but maybe one for the future

3. Learning from Mistakes

Pards has admitted that he made mistakes last season. He thought he knew what it takes to succeed in this Division but now admits that things had changed since he managed there. The very fact that he has acknowledged this is positive in my view

4. Reality Check for Players

Pards bigged up the squad last season giving them a mistaken belief that they were strong enough to go up. When things started to go awry, that created doubts which weren't overcome. I don't think the team talks and and press conferences will be that gung ho this year. I think our best chance of getting up is with the "dogs of war" mentality. I think the pre pre-season fitness regimes imposed this summer is part of developing that kind of an ethos around the place. I think the players will be tougher mentally for the failures of last season.

Some players are likely to go, amongst them Magic, Thomas plus of course Bent and Faye, but that should bring in some extra to strengthen, hopefully in midfield.

So all in all I'm optimistic although its going to be tough.
  • Options
    Great post Bing, others will naturally disagree but there is a lot of positive sense in there.

To have a good season, we need a number of positive "if's" to come off, they include:

* Possibly the most attacking full back pairing in the division playing to their potential
    * Hudson proving a solid signing.
    * Weaver repeating a good season
    * Gray showing his Burley form
    * Varney building on the promise he has shown
    * Any wide midfielder re-finding form, or Sam pushing on
    * Zhi rested and refreshed
    * Shelvey building on his fantastic start
    * An overall change in our mentality that we are not above this level

Number of if's there, and if the bulk turn positive, there is no doubt we will be at a par to anything Hull or Bristol City did last season.
  • Options
    Plus if there is any pessimism in you're heart. Please leave it at home for Swansea city and get behind the boys from the start. Lets raise the roof and let the team know we're with them. Come on you Addicks!
  • Options
    Good posts Bing and AKFA. My only doubt is that I can't see Zi Zi being very rested or fit but we shall see.

Speaking to a Palace supporting client yesterday he said he liked Hudson on the basis that he clears the ball. Not pretty but doesn't overplay it in the box. Good leader as well.
  • Options
    I guess we're not the big Premiership scalp this season either, teams will want to prove themselves against the Readings & Birminghams this season.

I am optimistic from afar, but if we don't beat Swansea by 3 clear goals with 10 men on the opening day.

Pards out!
  • Options
    I'm always optimistic about our chances, I think we will win the league this coming season, we will then get back to the PL and then Europe the following season after winning the FA Cup. Not much to ask, is it?

Yours, preparing for a fall into his half full glass!!

Bibs
  • Options
    Do you mean Champions league football in europe Bibs or just uefa cup. I suspect the latter. We`re all doomed.
  • Options
    Good posts Bing & AFKA...but...we still haven't really strengthened our midfield over last year and there needs to be some personnel changes there before the season starts.

Looking at it this way, in defence we have in Weaver a good keeper, Prem quality and hopefully this year we'll have a bit more luck with injuries which meant that we were playing a different back four virtually every game. Have a consistent back four + Weaver will be the key. If we can reduce the numbers of goals conceded, and stupid goals at that, then we are a solid step towards making a serious challenge for promotion. Youga and Moo2 will only get better and both should benefit from last year. Hudson in/McCarthy out is a positive step and in Hudson I think we might have the defensive leader we lacked last year.

Midfield...Jerome Thomas didn't impress and we either need to move him or he has to knuckle down and deliver. On the right we have a couple of options but in centre midfield we still have Holland/Shelvey/Semedo. The latter two are young and need time, especially Shelvey, but I'll be feeling a lot more confident if we can get a strong ball winning midfielder in and sort out Thomas.

Up front if Gray and Varney can forge a partnership and with Toddy/McLeod/Iwelumo/Dickson and Fleetwood in reserve then we have a team that will be as good as any in the league.