Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Welling United 0 - 1 Charlton - Post match comments

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Couldnt face standing in the rain .. so any report would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Latest - 1-0 to Charlton. Luke "I'm a centre forward, not a winger" Varney with the goal.
  • Options
    good boy Varney
  • Options
    if varney starts 80% of our games next year up front he'll get 18-25 goals...
    play him up front pardew you ....
  • Options
    Agreed.Varney will be heavily relied on next year.I just love every aspect of his game!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Agreed.Varney will be heavily relied on next year.I just love every aspect of his game![/quote]

don't understand how you can "love every aspect of his game" dont get me wrong and I think he could be a great player but in general he wasnt very good last season, worked his socks off but in general very disappointing. Few people moaning about lack of signings (and we def need to boost midfield) but we had so many under performing players last season, Gray Varney ZZ Mcleod Toddy (injured) etc if they can up their games and play how we know they can play it will be like new signings. Def need a hard man in midfield though
  • Options
    What you have to remember though is that about 3/4 of the time varney played, he was playing on the wing.I liked the way he would cut in from the wings(like he did for his 2nd against palace) good first touch, not afraid of a shot and like you have already said he worked his socks off every time!
    Granted he is played upfront, where he should be, i think he will be a great asset to us next season.
  • Options
    any update on final score?
  • Options
    Finished 1-0. There is a report on the official club site but it takes about 6 hours to load.........
  • Options
    http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=32550
  • Options
    Has pace

An economical finisher

A good finisher

Not afraid of a smashing

Will get stuck in

Excellent work ethic

Not too sure what else we want from a centre forward at Charlton really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The teams:

Charlton: Weaver; Long (Racon 77), Youga, Semedo (Fortune 63), Hudson, Sam (Wagstaff 63), Sinclair (Shelvey 63), Holland (J Thomas 67), Yussuff; Fleetwood, Varney (Dickson 63).

Sub (not used): Christie.

Goal: Varney 25

Welling (first half): Jordan; Sinclair, Barrett, Moore, Andrews, Kemp, Quinn, Lover, Green; Power, Sheringham.

Subs: Andrews, Pinnock.

Welling (second half): Turner, Howe, McEntegart, Chappell, Trott; Schoburgh, Nwanze, Blackburn, Wright; Sheringham (Ositoca 65), Pinnock.

Subs: Andrews, Williams.

Referee: I Crouch

Attendance: 2,058
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Has pace

An economical finisher

A good finisher

Not afraid of a smashing

Will get stuck in

Excellent work ethic

Not too sure what else we want from a centre forward at Charlton really.

But apart from that what does he bring to the team?
  • Options
    Oh and Semedo looked comfortable in the centre back spot, Fleetwood and Varney looked lively

One of the fattest linos I've ever seen this side of the Rochester and District league, Weaver seemed very 'not in control' Hudson looked ok without being tested, good communication. Holland smashed a great tackle in. But to be fair I only watched about 35 minutes football before getting bored of being soaked and ran out of BSE riddled munch and left Gumbo, Ketman and Stu to it.

MCS didn't even make kick off!!
  • Options
    So neither Gray nor Iwelumo played in either match, while Dickson and Fleetwood played in both.

Any reason for this?
  • Options
    Semedo played centre back again tonight after playing there last night against Bromley. Maybe Pards is preparing for life after Bougy eh ?
  • Options
    Gray had a slight niggle not worth risking I suppose, and the same goes for big Chris.

Nothing to stop us playing with pace then is there either on a damp zippy pitch
  • Options
    personally don't think Semedo will make a centre half but at the moment needs must. No Bouggy, Bent or Faye - cheeerio all. Gray and Iwelumo injured apparently. No sign of Toddy or Randolph either night. Thought Fleetwood looked very lively, took up some great positions, good runs behind the defence, deserved a goal. Varney worked tirelessly and despite playing up front was a better wide player than Sam who was very disappointing. I'm getting very frustrated with him now. Hudson very solid and commanding. Not a lot else to report. Good cameo from Shelvey. Everyone else did ok, nothing more. Holland as committed as normal. Small crowd but not surprising. Nice touch from Welling. Keep ticket stub and get in free to a game next season. May take that up when AFC Wimbledon visit.
  • Options
    The number on my stub was 442 just to add!
  • Options
    team starting to take shape.

At present, assuming Bent, faye and Bougy leave us, my 16 would be:

weaver,
    Moo2, Hudson, Fortune, Basey,
    Shelvey, Holland, Varney,Ambrose
    Fleetwood, Gray

Subs, Youga, ZZ, Dickson, Toddy, Thomas

really needs something more in midfield and Varney possibly up-front instead of out wide.

I see players such as Racon, Wagstaff, Wright, Sinclair as fill-ins but not as contenders for the main squad.
  • Options
    SSN talk of "Total Football" from Charlton for the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah sod that, i only went cos i fancied a few ales in the Guy, weather was shite and all i had as protection from the elements was my beard!
  • Options
    Nearly ran Wagstaff over last night, going past the ground to pick my mate up about 6:15, he stepped out from the traffic island opposite the off licence, had to brake heavily.

Stayed in the Guy drinking non alcholic becks, weather was atrocious, back home by 8:45 with kebab in hand.
  • Options
    Also saw Teddy Sheringham go into the ground about 15 minutes in, parked a Bentley in the pub car park (at least I think it was his, obviously my X reg Rover overshadowed it)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    weaver,
    Fleetwood, Gray
    Varney in centre midfield?
  • Options
    Any other post match reaction etc would be nice for those who were there and actually stayed in the ground rather than the pub.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]
    weaver,
    Fleetwood, Gray
    Varney in centre midfield?

And Shelvey on the right wing?

I'd prefer to see:

Weaver
    Moo2, Hudson, Fortune, Youga
    Ambrose, Holland, Shelvey, Basey
    Varney, Gray
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    We played a bit of football which was nice although I thought we played around the edge of them too much without ever really looking like opening them up, WE NEED A CREATIVE CENTRE MIDFIELDER there has that sunk in yet!

Goal was well worked & Varney was denied a second with a far post header by a wonderful stop by their keeper. Welling fielded two teams, A team in a Blue Kit first half & a White Kit second half, could not tell you which one was better as both were totally in-effective. Fleetwood missed a couple of chances, but does look lively as did Dickson when he came on. Hudson looked solid & will compliment a fast centre half with skill (Bougherra) selling him would be lunacy in my opinion.

Rain Stopped when the game finished, unbelievable!
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite] And Shelvey on the right wing?

I'd prefer to see:

Weaver
    Moo2, Hudson, Fortune, Youga
    Ambrose, Holland, Shelvey, Basey
    Varney, Gray

I make you right on that one Chrissy boy.
  • Options
    Ambrose on the wing, ye gods what team were you wathing last year?

:D
  • Options
    As a Footnote to my report the Stadium Announcer said a 'Big Thank You' over the tannoy to Alan Pardew for bringing his team down with about ten minutes to go, I am sure Pardew asked for this pre-game, I would not be in the slightest bit surprised.