Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

This Spanish......

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
.....jolly intensive training camp.

Is it being part-subsidised by Joma, any of our Spanish coaching school contacts ?

Baring in mind the financial constraints being banded about at the moment, is an 8-day overseas trip, playing one, possibly two games, really necessary ?

Team bonding can be done a hell of a lot cheaper than Marbella, even if it does mean Pards not getting such a good tan.

Comments

• Options
    Don't think Pards needs anymore time in the sun looking at his tan at Welling.

gawd know how they can afford it, probably the cost of one Mark Robson
  • Options
    Careful, now, Mr A, you're in danger of joining us cynics ;-)
  • Options
    Perhaps they're going by Ryan Air?

Besides it keeps them out of the intense media furnace that surrounds our team when in the UK..

Then again its the carbon footprint I'm worried about

:)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Don't think Pards needs anymore time in the sun looking at his tan at Welling.

gawd know how they can afford it, probably the cost of one Mark Robson

Good grief, not getting to you too is it, Rothers??
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    They could have played Paintball at Ruxley, followed by bowling in the Broadway and then a curry...
  • Options
    Where are you, Oggy - we desperately need some rose-tinted positivity?
  • Options
    me and Rothko are 'on the turn'

Just Oggy left as the last bastion of optimism !!
  • Options
    there is probably a contractual obligation with the sponsors, and a long term benefit by promoting the academys out there? Or maybe a tax dodge?
  • Options
    seriously though, its like we're not learning anything.

Masking the realities of the Championship by getting ourselves ingrained in the Premiership approach.
  • Options
    You'd have though Blackpool away following the last Spanish trip would have been warning enough, really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    more to the point it shows we aren't really that far up the shit pile, or it would have been cancelled. Mind you some of the things they made savings on such as the womens team, and the tea lady (kidding) were so small.
  • Options
    I know we like do things differently at Charlton so I shouldn't d be surprised that virtually all of the other 23 teams in the championship this year are providing full details (ko times/venues etc) of the teams they are playing in overseas preseason friendlies.
    18 are holding training camps/tours outside England and of these only Watford (in Austria) do not say if they're playing teams while away.
    Maybe Charlton know better than to play competitive matches in front of a crowd - It might be that being able to make multiple substitutions will get them for 90mins competitive action.
  • Options
    It's all part of the game going on behind the scenes between Pardew and the board:

Board to Pards - you can't have any decent money to spend till you bring in £5M
    Pards - in that case, I'll buy non-league strikers, sack Mark Robson and take what's left of the squad to Spain to cheer them up
    Board - while you're in Spain, just sell Magic to Real Betis and we'll think about giving you some of the dosh...
  • Options
    More likely sponsored by Sinatra's, Puerto Banus.
  • Options
    Bent, Thomas and Faye should be nearly 5 mil if you include wages, just need to get them out the door...
  • Options
    don't see the problem, getting away from home will help build team spirit. Virtually all the "bigger" Championship sides will be doing something similar.
  • Options
    By my rough guestimates, if we bring in more than 1.6m in total for those three players, then with their salaries that's over 5m
  • Options
    probably cheaper than paying for them to stay somewhere here what with hotels and training facilities, and they need to be away from distractions.
  • Options
    Overseas trips are great, remember last years one? I remember seeing Reid with the guitar, everyone having a great time...shame the results weren't too great though...
  • Options
    Ah, but it's old skool teambuilding.

Although they say it's an eight day trip, what the players don't know is that the they are being driven to the coast, sleeping in a tent overnight being woken up at the crack of dawn, split into 5 man teams and being told to make a raft out of some barrels, a few planks of wood and some mouldy rope, to take them to Marbella.

If they manage to do it they get however's long of the 8 days to laze in the sun and have a greater sense of togetherness.. If they end up drowning the wage bill comes down. The club can't lose - it's inspired!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]don't see the problem, getting away from home will help build team spirit. Virtually all the "bigger" Championship sides will be doing something similar.[/quote]

They are - my problem is that all but one of them apparently let their supporters come along for the ride - some even organising trips.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    ooo eerrrr

I hope we wont be getting reports/pictures back like these ones.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You'd have though Blackpool away following the last Spanish trip would have been warning enough, really.

Or West Ham the year before, that really backfired.
  • Options
    There was the time that Craig Bellamy attacked John Arne Riise with a putter.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]ooo eerrrr

I hope we wont be getting reports/pictures back like these ones.

A few of them look like they're losing their trunks in that last pic, Curb_It!
  • Options
    i hadnt noticed at all.. let me go and have another look.. :-)
  • Options
    Think I'd better check, too, I may have got it wrong...
  • Options
    you two are disgusting, we're not pieces of meat you know
  • Options
    Our greatest ever manager took them to Bournemouth when we were a second tier club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]you two are disgusting, we're not pieces of meat you know

Think yourself lucky we haven't started a 'Would You' thread about it ;-)