Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dover friendly - date change and now a 1st team fixture

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Been moved from the 22/7 to Wednesday 23/7 (7.45).

Tickets £10 adults, £5 11-16s, £2 kids, £7 over 60s

Comments

• Options
    ill skip that one
  • Options
    Day trip to Calais, then back for the footie ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Day trip to Calais, then back for the footie ;-)

What a great idea
  • Options
    Thanks for that Dan, Ive got one of the Aussie boys coming over for that game, so I'll let him know the date change.
  • Options
    Well do-able for me after work down the M2 will try to stir up some interest in this from the East kent Massive :-)
  • Options
    i'll be there...only down the road....if you call half an hour on the motorway down the road
  • Options
    I thought the first team were in Spain till the 24th?

So we're playing a non-league side instead of a Spanish club or Iran or Rochdale? Shambles.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    they get back on tuesday, the day before this game
  • Options
    Might give this one a miss..it's a bit of a trek from Eltham
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]I thought the first team were in Spain till the 24th?

So we're playing a non-league side instead of a Spanish club or Iran or Rochdale? Shambles.

We were never playing Iran. There was some talk between CAFC and Iranians it but it was never agreed. Ditto Rochdale.

And we were always playing the non-league side only now it's the first team squad rather than the reserves and a day later.

There are still a couple of behind closed doors going on in Spain as originally planned as far as I know.

Not quite sure what makes this anything approaching a "shambles" for anyone but the Iranian FA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Apparently trying to get a game with Real Betis at the weekend and Gibraltar is confirmed
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Apparently trying to get a game with Real Betis at the weekend and Gibraltar is confirmed
    So thats Bougy gone then...
  • Options
    We get a share of the gate money for the behind closed doors game .....in lieu of a transfer fee. :o)
  • Options
    Ive been saying its the end of the line for Bougy for a while WSS.....I do expect a couple of defenders in next week though.
  • Options
    TelinOz, if you are in Oz how come you seem to be so well informed?
  • Options
    Sorry, Henry, but I stick be the assertion that the organisation of this pre-season has been a shambles. The chopping and changing of dates, opposition, venue and whether first team or reserves at a few days' notice is nothing other than shambolic, and not good preparation in my opinion. Verging on unprofessional. So there ;-)
  • Options
    shouldn't these contracts all have been signed and sealed once we knew what division we were in? Although I suspect its just a case of a bit of bad luck this year.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Sorry, Henry, but I stick be the assertion that the organisation of this pre-season has been a shambles. The chopping and changing of dates, opposition, venue and whether first team or reserves at a few days' notice is nothing other than shambolic, and not good preparation in my opinion. Verging on unprofessional. So there ;-)

How many changes exactly have been made to confirmed games? Two that I can see and both to the Dover game.

And how is two weeks a few days?

And what venues have changed?

You are free to stick to your view that it is a "shambles" but at least give some evidence rather than throwing around statements that don't stand up.
  • Options
    It could also be asked where has the Pre Season game against Nancy gone or the testimonial for Colin Powell.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Sorry, Henry, but I stick be the assertion that the organisation of this pre-season has been a shambles. The chopping and changing of dates, opposition, venue and whether first team or reserves at a few days' notice is nothing other than shambolic, and not good preparation in my opinion. Verging on unprofessional. So there ;-)

How many changes exactly have been made to confirmed games? Two that I can see and both to the Dover game.

And how is two weeks a few days?

And what venues have changed?

You are free to stick to your view that it is a "shambles" but at least give some evidence rather than throwing around statements that don't stand up.

The Bromley fixture was chnged as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry, I am referring predominantly to the arrangements in Spain where things have chopped and changed constantly - surely the intention should have been to play more competitve matches on that trip? I imagine the failure to do so is then what's led to the Dover change. From memory, the pre-season schedule is normally confirmed pretty much within a week or two of the end of the previous season, and whilst there might be the odd change, at least there is a clear process of preparation to build up match practice/ match fitness. This year has simply not been like that.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

MK Dons - announced then dropped
    Dartford - Dartford working on the assumption there would be some 1st teamers
    Dover - Date changed
    Bromley - date changed
    Athletico Bilbao - initial oppo changed at least three times and announced v. late
    Iran - War - Huh, what is it good for ?
    Rochdale - Cancelled
    Colin Powell's testimonial - dropped

Not all Charlton's fault by any means, but its certainly been closer to a shambles than a smooth running operation.
  • Options
    You could also add over the years games freindlies aginast Lazio, Leeds, Seville that were all meant to be happening and never did. It was also announced that Rufus would get a benefit game, perhaps he will share it with Paddy!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Henry, I am referring predominantly to the arrangements in Spain where things have chopped and changed constantly - surely the intention should have been to play more competitve matches on that trip? I imagine the failure to do so is then what's led to the Dover change. From memory, the pre-season schedule is normally confirmed pretty much within a week or two of the end of the previous season, and whilst there might be the odd change, at least there is a clear process of preparation to build up match practice/ match fitness. This year has simply not been like that.

But I'm not sure the arrangements have "chopped and changed constantly". There was internet talk about Iran and Rochdale but they weren't firm dates.

Most likely Pardew would have liked another game while in Spain but maybe that wasn't possible for whatever reason. Maybe Steve Waggott is incompetent and should be sacked for allowing such a SHAMBLES. I mean games never changed or got cancelled when Peter Varney was in charge or maybe they were just never leaked to the internet.

What I don't get is how SOME changes become CONSTANT changes and that equals SHAMBLES. Yes, it seems that Dover has been changed so the first team get another run out. That sounds like re-acting quickly to the situation rather than a shambles.
    [cite]Posted By: JohnnyH2[/cite]It could also be asked where has the Pre Season game against Nancy gone or the testimonial for Colin Powell.

We're playing Bilbao instead of Nancy and Paddy's testimonial will be next year.
  • Options
    Sarcasm, Henry, sarcasm.

You've been told once...
  • Options
    Henry, you did a really good job as fans' director. Now get off the bl**dy soapbox!

And AFKA, thanks for all the proof!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Henry, you did a really good job as fans' director. Now get off the bl**dy soapbox!

And AFKA, thanks for all the proof!

sorry I don't get that. What proof?

And does that mean you accept you were wrong to say shambles? You seem to have moved from attacking the club to attacking me so I guess it does.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][
    There was internet talk about Iran and Rochdale but they weren't firm dates.

Is that really the truth though ?

Its irrelevent, and we're nit-picking over something minor here, so lets not get out of context. But clubs don't announce cancellations on their official sites on internet rumours, nor do international federations cry foul so loudly if the only agreement in place was 'internet talk'.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][
    There was internet talk about Iran and Rochdale but they weren't firm dates.

Is that really the truth though ?

Its irrelevent, and we're nit-picking over something minor here, so lets not get out of context. But clubs don't announce cancellations on their official sites on internet rumours, nor do international federations cry foul so loudly if the only agreement in place was 'internet talk'.

I didn't say that no discussions had taken place. Charlton have said as much. What I said was that no confirmed games were cancelled which is correct.

And Charlton re-acted to the statements of the Iran FA. CAFC didn't say the game had been cancelled. I fact they said that is was wrong to say it was cancelled as it was never agreed.

I don't know what the "truth" really is. I'm not party to all the ins and outs of the negotiations with Iran or any other clubs. Yes, my guess is that the club wanted another game while in Spain and it hasn't come off so the Dover game has been re-arranged.

My point is that does not equate to "constant chopping and changing" or a "shambles". Why use such extreame and emotive language.
  • Options
    Crikey, Henry, please calm down. I didn't realise calling something a shambles would be interpreted as being so provocative. I haven't changed my mind and I am only joshing with you, not 'attacking' you.

I'd better get off and do some work and leave you in peace.