Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dover friendly - date change and now a 1st team fixture

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Crikey, Henry, please calm down. I didn't realise calling something a shambles would be interpreted as being so provocative. I haven't changed my mind and I am only joshing with you, not 'attacking' you.

I'd better get off and do some work and leave you in peace.

And now you are doing it again "calm down"! Why am I not calm and why are you dodging the debate?

Yes, saying something is a shambles is provocative which is why it provoked my initial reaction of "not quite sure what makes this anything approaching a shambles".

If you are going to make statements then at least be prepared to back them up and not resort to cheap shots about "soapboxes" or "calm down".
  • Options
    Can I say, that I have no idea how or what been organised for pre season, and frankly I don't give a monkeys either.

Thanks and Love

Mr Rothers
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][My point is that does not equate to "constant chopping and changing" or a "shambles". Why use such extreame and emotive language.

In the Shambles Ranking Index, its currently moved above 'hash' and 'mess' but still well below 'fiasco' and 'disaster' and unlikely to change again unless something happens of Leicester proportions.... :-)

Still stand by my original point that an 8-day overseas trip, where each player is likely to play a competitive maximum of 45 minutes against a team of semi-pro waiters, doesn't appear to be the best prepared trip, but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The proof of the pudding is in the eating as Andy Ried often said. If the team came back fit (not having been kicked to pieces by some Spanish Cloggers), bonded, set pays worked out, spirits lifted and then grab a late draw with Dover then all will be well.

It might even carry over into the league campaign.
  • Options
    Covered End....Im not in Australia at the moment mate, and I had a chat again with Steve W at the weekend, who I think is a top bloke from what Ive seen of him. Very frank and very honest and I have to say his enthusiasm is infectious too.....just what we need....positivity.
  • Options
    TELTEL
    edited July 2008
    Just called the club and tickets for Dover are available on the night for anyone interested
  • Options
    Has it been mentioned on here - what was mentioned on another blog that the Rochdale game got cancelled because our kit hadnt turned up in time? The club didnt want to pay the extra charges ryanair were charging to pack the kit so it was driven there... but didnt make it in time.

so i'd say I think its been a bit of a shamble aussi. im going with weegie.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Has it been mentioned on here - what was mentioned on another blog that the Rochdale game got cancelled because our kit hadnt turned up in time? The club didnt want to pay the extra charges ryanair were charging to pack the kit so it was driven there... but didnt make it in time.

But wasn't the Rochdale game was "called off" before the squad left for Spain.

If the game had been called off on the same day that would make sense but it wasn't so I don't get how the kit "didn't get there in time."

In fact the date of the Iran game and so the Rochdale game that was supposedly going to replace it was given on here as 20th July which is the day AFTER tomorrow.

Nice story but doesn't seem to stand up. But hey, it's a shambles so it's a shambles regardless..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]Has it been mentioned on here - what was mentioned on another blog that the Rochdale game got cancelled because our kit hadnt turned up in time? The club didnt want to pay the extra charges ryanair were charging to pack the kit so it was driven there... but didnt make it in time.

in addition to that I've heard that we were happy to play in Rochdale's kit whilst they went shirtless but they poo-pood that as they had forgotton to pack their suncream and were unwilling to pay rip-off tourist prices locally.
  • Options
    its a great story and one i believe.

Shambles. Total cock up.

good for the tans tho.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but not one that stands up to even the most basic testing with facts and dates.

but if you've already decided to believe it regardless of whatever other evidence is put in front of you then there's nothing more to say

Waggott out!
  • Options
    get your tongue out the clubs bum. its over. move on.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]get your tongue out the clubs bum. its over. move on.

Good argument well made but to get back to the point how did a game that was due to be played on Sunday get cancelled a week ago because the kit turned up late.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]get your tongue out the clubs bum. its over. move on.

Good argument well made but to get back to the point how did a game that was due to be played on Sunday get cancelled a week ago because the kit turned up late.

Henry, we can't let reasoned arguement get in the way of a good story, it's just not on. The kit was late, the game was cancelled, just accept it. We have.
  • Options
    sorry that you got in first large but you took the words out of my mouth.

god so serious on here. Or just perhaps henry.
  • Options
    Changing the subject...anyone going?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

Henry, we can't let reasoned arguement get in the way of a good story, it's just not on. The kit was late, the game was cancelled, just accept it. We have.

Can't believe the over reaction to a game being moved from a Tuesday to a Wednesday.

The real reason is that Tuesday is the day off for the person that washes the kits so they wouldn't have had time to get them clean and some players refused to do it themselves.

There was then a big row between the players that did want to clean their own kits and those that didn't. Iwelumo and Marcus came to blows so both had to be sold.

Bougherra said it was an insult to him to be asked to wash clothes as that is women's work and so asked for a transfer. His move to Betis has been held up as he wants a no clothes washing clause in his new contract.

I may have just made that up a bit like whichever person wrote the Ryan Air/drive the kit there story on the other blog but feel free to pass in on as fact and draw conclusions on how inefficient the club and staff are on the back of it.
  • Options
    Is business a bit slow for you at the moment, Henry? Credit crunch getting you down?

I apologise for using the word shambles - I thought it was fairly inoffensive, but realise having looked up the definition that as a noun it actually means a slaughterhouse or building where animals are butchered. I'm sure the training camp in Spain isn't anything of the sort...

;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Is business a bit slow for you at the moment, Henry? Credit crunch getting you down?

I apologise for using the word shambles - I thought it was fairly inoffensive, but realise having looked up the definition that as a noun it actually means a slaughterhouse or building where animals are butchered. I'm sure the training camp in Spain isn't anything of the sort...

;-)

No, actually quite busy but thanks for asking.

Apology accepted.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Changing the subject...anyone going?

No I'm boycotting the game in protest about the shambles in Spain : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    Henry, I've told you once already - it really isn't appropriate to call the Spanish camp a shambles...

unless your close contacts with the Club mean you know something we don't about how the poor pet lambs are being treated? ;-)
  • Options
    I heard a rumour they slaughtered Faye and sold the meat to the burger stalls outside the Valley.

They figured it was the only way we get any money for him and horse meat, donkey meat who's gonna tell the difference.

Again this may not actually be true and no offence is intended to Amdy Faye or the Burger sellers outside The Valley : - )
  • Options
    Can I join in?

Ambrose is our only pet lamb ....... and he won't be slaughtered just yet because he's still poorly, and anyway he's missed the shambles in Spain.

Although many of our fans are looking forward to his first game at The Valley, so they can truly join in.
    In that case, will The Valley be the real Shambles?

:o)
  • Options
    Ha, ha Henry, very good.

You're losing me now, Oggy - I think it's time for a Friday beer!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Can I join in?

Ambrose is our only pet lamb ....... and he won't be slaughtered just yet because he's still poorly, and anyway he's missed the shambles in Spain.

Although many of our fans are looking forward to his first game at The Valley, so they can truly join in.
    In that case, will The Valley be the real Shambles?

:o)

So you believed the club's story that Ambrose was injured and was recovering back in blightly rather than being served up with fava beans and a nice chianti at City Addicks. More fool you Oggy

Actually that's not true either. It was a merlot. : - )
  • Options
    Poor Darren, served up with fava beans at one of Curb_it's after work p!ss ups.

So, no longer will he be slaughtered by his own 'fans' - who will be the new victim at The Shambles?

;o)
  • Options
    Has it been mentioned on here - what was mentioned on another blog that the Rochdale game got cancelled because our kit hadnt turned up in time? The club didnt want to pay the extra charges ryanair were charging to pack the kit so it was driven there... but didnt make it in time.

Then what kit were they wearing against Gibraltar?

I'm sure they could equally have played Rochdale in training kit or borrowed some from somewhere.
  • Options
    If anyone knows the area around the Dover ground would they recommend a nearby pub or even if there's a decent beer available in the ground? cheers
  • Options
    Can I just thank all of the above posters....Most entertaining thread I have read for a long time. Very surprised that someone didn`t throw the word debacle into the mix. Think Henry might have exploded.
  • Options
    A bumper crowd is now expected as the Charlton squad will now include big names such as Holland,Ambrose & Thomas.