Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Paul Gascoigne on Saturday?

Comments

• Options
    One of my favourite ever players, in his prime he was unbelievable 
  • Options
    Can all Gazza threads come with a health warning?  Especially for us 40 somethings. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Can all Gazza threads come with a health warning?  Especially for us 40 somethings. 
    Yeah apologies wasn't sure if I should start a new thread for this reason, but decided to go with one were it was spoken about him playing in a charity match(although a few years ago) to try and keep it on topic 🤣🤣
  • Options
    Bloody hell. 54 & looks 74.
  • Options
    The film is out in 16 days.  I get to meet him in 12 days time.....
  • Options
    I remember him getting a completely spontaneous standing ovation from the covered end, way back when he played at the Valley for Middlesbrough and came over to take a corner.
  • Options
    Played for Rangers in a legends match today.

Better finish than a number of Charlton players

Absolute rocket that, you don't save those.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I found redoing the flute celebration pretty tasteless.

I hate all that sectarian bollocks up there, but he's been told of the connotations and fined for it at the time, why do it again?
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Wonder what would have happened had he moved to Man Utd, under Fergie, rather than Spurs.
    Did hear his Dad wanted a house, and Fergie said no.

If he had not been mates with the likes of Evans and Baker who use to take him out on the piss, he might just of connected with the ball across the goal in the 96 Euros Semi vs Germany.

Huge talent, like so many had a flaw...... what might have been.
  • Options
    Played for Rangers in a legends match today.

Better finish than a number of Charlton players

Shocking goalkeeping. 
  • Options
    Wonder what would have happened had he moved to Man Utd, under Fergie, rather than Spurs.

If he had not been mates with the likes of Evans and Baker who use to take him out on the piss, he might just of connected with the ball across the goal in the 96 Euros Semi vs Germany.

I remember reading somewhere, Ferguson's autobiography maybe, that they'd basically agreed the transfer on the Friday, Ferguson went away for the weekend, and over the weekend Gazza signed for Spurs for the same money plus that house for his parents.

Ferguson said they'd have definitely have offered a house too to get him but he never asked, what's a few grand on a £2m transfer etc?
  • Options
    Some his goals for Lazio were out of this world 
  • Options
    Some his goals for Lazio were out of this world 
    Another dig at Italy being out of the World Cup ? 
  • Options

Totally agree, if he played for Georgie who would have come down on hime like a tonne of bricks rather than venebles, he could have been a world beater.

people say that he could have scored against Germany if he was an inch taller, I agree that he would have scored if he was fitter
  • Options
    I found redoing the flute celebration pretty tasteless.

I hate all that sectarian bollocks up there, but he's been told of the connotations and fined for it at the time, why do it again?
    Is his memory failing him?

The second time he did it, he got a threat to his life. Both British & Irish police accepted it as serious. He then drove to work in different cars taking different routes on different days. The threat was later rescinded I believe.
  • Options
    Great player, not such a great person.

His mental health problems and alcoholism don't lessen his talent but nor do they excuse the physical and mental abuse of his wife.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats really sad to see actually...
    In what way do you see it as sad?
  • Options
    Seeing that clip put a massive smile on my face.
  • Options
    Thats really sad to see actually...
    In what way do you see it as sad?
    Posted again replying to Paulie two posts after
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    That's brilliant and heartbreaking in equal measure tbh

There's not many players that really make you sit up and take notice. As a kid I'd say John Barnes and Gazza were two. Remember him taking us apart during the 2nd half at selhurst against spurs. And even though I was only 10yrs old or so, I could tell he was a one off and special. 
    That was fairly early in the 89-90 season and was my earliest memory of Gazza. Lineker scored that day as well, then a few months later they were off to Italia 90.
  • Options
    Great player, not such a great person.

His mental health problems and alcoholism don't lessen his talent but nor do they excuse the physical and mental abuse of his wife.
    As a society we struggle to face up to how serious alcoholism is. When you look at how sporting greats such as George Best, Higgins and Gascoigne have ended up it's hard to feel anything but sadness.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    & also reminded me of a certain spongefoot…🤔
  • Options
    My son asked me the other day, what was the best individual  performance I’ve seen against Charlton. I struggled to think….but then I remembered a game against spurs in 89 I think. We went ahead through Paul Williams and then lost 3:1. Gazza scored a blinder and set up one for lineker, found it on YouTube the other day. We went from a winning position to 3:1 down in a matter of minutes. He was unplayable 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    & also reminded me of a certain spongefoot…🤔
    Only Gazza put more power on the finish. 
  • Options
    mattwils said:
    My son asked me the other day, what was the best individual  performance I’ve seen against Charlton. I struggled to think….but then I remembered a game against spurs in 89 I think. We went ahead through Paul Williams and then lost 3:1. Gazza scored a blinder and set up one for lineker, found it on YouTube the other day. We went from a winning position to 3:1 down in a matter of minutes. He was unplayable 
    Agree. He tore us to shreds that day.