Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Players You Were

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob Bolder - awful on his debut at Maine Road and looked what I thought he was - a reserve for Nicky Johns.
  • Options
    On the worse than I thought side

1. has to be Rommedahl, I thought it was a brilliant signing and showed our clubs ambition to get a shot at Europe. How wrong was I but to fair I wasn't the only one, I remember one of the press reports at the end of that Transfer Window saying that Rommedahl was possibly the best business done during that Window!!

2. Redfern - I thought he was an astute signing, instead he was just a stout useless limp

3. has to be Sinclair on loan last season - He was like a young Rommedahl on loan - I really thought he was going to be shit off a shovel, and he turned out to be just shit.

On the better than I thought side

1. Mark Aizlewood - He looked total pants when he first played

2. John Robinson - He didn't seem to have anything about him when he first played, no pace and no great skill

3. ZZ - I thought he was going to be too lightweight
  • Options
    I will have to concede parker as well, man i used to really hate him, thought as threadkiller says he was lightweight and had nothing at all to offer us, was gutted when curbs stuck him in instead of kins, but hey what do i know!! lol

He certainly made me eat my words, that boy was awesome for wasn't he? Shame how it all ended, but thats a different story!
  • Options
    I have to own up. When we signed Darren Bent I told my son what a waste of money that was and why weren't we buying a proper goalscorer.

DOH!!!!!!
  • Options
    The first time I thought Charlton had signed a goal machine but turned out to be a lemon ....... Barry Endean, 20 goal leading scorer from Watford. The player had less mobility & pace than Paddy McCarthy sitting down.

Oh, he did manage to score once in about 2 seasons.

I'd often been disappointed with Curbs for the many promising young players he let go without giving them a chance - but with hindsight, none of them were anywhere ready let alone good enough for the Prem.

Even Turner, Shittu & Campbell-Ryce have only proved so far that they are decent Championship players - and where are the rest? I guess Curbs was proved right on that one.
  • Options
    Matt Holland. Thought he would be a great player for us. I recall posting on the old 606 site how I thought he would help fill the void left By Parker!!

What a disappointment. Have never seen anything in his performances for us that explains why he was so raved about by Ipswich fans.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Bad ones
    Paul Gorman - I thought he would bang in loads
    Peter Garland - I thought he was going to be a massive star - turned out to just be massive
    Neil Redfearn - I thought he'd be perfect. Turned out to be a waste of space in the midfield.
    Kenny Achampong - Typical 80's + 90's style "tricky winger" who excited me. Turns out "tricky" translated to "god-awful"

Thought Alan Kernaghan was a donkey at first

Paul Gorman - Bit harsh there. Signed from non-league(Fisher Athletic-£15k) scored a few at the beginning then had rotten luck with injuries. Because we lacked a regular scoring frontman we felt he would be the hero on his return(after his cruciate injury) after the good start he made ofr us. But the injuries had taken their toll & robbed him & us of what might have been a decent career in red.

Peter Garland - Again, a bit harsh. Only paid £5k for him, we wern't expecting a world beater. But, on his day, he had some great moments. Had some decent strikes in him & wasn't afraid to go for goal & get stuck in. Could've been better were it not for the extra poundage.

Kenny Achampong - Haha! The greatest comedy footballer I ever saw! Again, another transplant from non-league who didn't end up setting the team alight.

Alan Kernaghan - Gutted that we didn't sign him before Lennie departed for Tyneside.

Mark Robson - Ecstatic when we signed him. I'll always remember him ripping Darren Pitcher to shreds for WHAM at the Valley, Boxing Day '92. Me & my brother left the stadium wishing we could get him. When our prayers were answered, he too was hit by injuries & never really hit the same heights. Though flashes of genius through his time as a player with us gave a good reminder of what he was once capable of.
  • Options
    Kim Grant, remeber him getting schmichael sent off and a a double against sheff weds in the fa cup, and a couple against millwall. but christ he was bloody awful. he just thought he was a super star when he bloody wasnt. as the song went. "kim grant... Kim Grant.... Kimmy,Kimmy Grant.. he thinks He Can we Know He Cant, Kimmy.. Kimmy Grant" Remeber seing some young kid think he was called Danny Warden or somthing like that looked class but never got close, would doubt if he still is a pro.

Stinkers:
    Gorman
    McGammon
    Grant