Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Game At Brighton - Post match thoughts

edited July 2008 in General Charlton
Is there commentary of tonights friendly

Comments

• Options
    I don't think so, poss on a local service, but very very doubtful - it is only a friendly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafcinperth[/cite]Is there commentary of tonights friendly

I can try and find out hows its going if you'd like I've got family there watching
  • Options
    cheers
  • Options
    Charlton squad to play Brighton: Weaver, Christie, Basey, Bougherra, Fortune, Hudson, Moutaouakil, Youga, Racon, Sam, Semedo, Shelvey, J Thomas, Wright, Wagstaff, Dickson, Gray, Varney.

Charlton squad to play Grays: Elliot, Binks, Clark, Long, Mambo, Sinfield, A Thomas, Jensen, Tunani, Lozano-Calderon, Sinclair, Stavrinou, Yussuff, Fleetwood, Godfrey, Todorov, Tuna.
  • Options
    Looks like we are going to play a full strength team against Brighton.
  • Options
    Pards/Parky/someone said so on the OS this week, BFR.

Charlton are determined to win the title of AFKA's Pre-Season Friendly League.
    AFKA posted that we are in 3rd place at the mo.

;o)
  • Options
    They said they'd play a first XI team at Dover and Grays....
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    It was Parky on his OS blog yesterday, said that they were going to play more or less their strongest team at Brighton.
    But, of course, no ZZ or Ambrose, Holland, possiblyToddy's not considered ready (running out at Grays).

And the players we haven't signed yet won't play at Brighton, either. ;o)
  • Options
    r we winning yet? ;0)
  • Options
    Weaver injured in warm up. Christie replaces him.

Team is : Christie, Semedo, Youga, Racon, Bougherra, Hudson, Wagstaff, Shelvey, Gray, Varney, Thomas.

Subs: Basey, Fortune, Moutaouakil, Sam, Wright, Dickson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2008
    0-0 at half time (from an unreliable source).

In other games, Iwelumo scored twice for Wolves in a 3-0 win at Kilmarnock, and Premier League Hull are getting mullered 4-0 at Crewe, despite putting out a strong team.
  • Options
    Agonisingly boring. I think varney and thomas had chances at the far end, which is about a quarter of a mile away. 0-0 half time. Don't know if i'll be here for the 2nd, pub is calling.
  • Options
    said it was better to be in the garden i am half hammered and not missing footie at all yet anyhow
  • Options
    1-0 Dickson
  • Options
    Basey, dickson, sam and fortune on for wagstaff, varney, thomas and boogie. Sam put 2 crosses in to dickson, one of which he scores. 1-0 25 mins left.
  • Options
    Coverage of the game here:http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Latest/0,,10433~1351749,00.html
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Brighton match report - linky

Final Score: Albion 0 Charlton 1
    Posted on: Sat 26 Jul 2008

See video highlights of Albion v Charlton
    only on Seagulls World soon!

By Paul Camillin, at Withdean

Gary Hart captain's the Albion side, which sees Michel Kuipers return in goal and Matt Richards make his first appearance since joining on loan from Ipswich Town. Charlton include Therry Racon, but goalkeeper Nicky Weaver is replaced by young keeper Callum Christie, after picking up an injury in the warm up.

10: A quiet opening ten minutes with both sides playing at a slowish tempo, which isn't surprising considering the heat. Albion are wearing their new strip, which features white shorts, white socks and all white back.

20: A short back pass almost creates an opportunity for Andy Gray, but good foot work from Kuipers sees him side step the Charlton striker and clear upfield. At the other end a good run from Glenn Murray is crudely ended by Charlton skipper Mark Hudson and gives Albion a free-kick.

27: Kuipers makes a good save to deny impressive Addicks 16-year-old midfielder Jonjo Shelvey. Former Albion loan signing Racon sees his follow-up shot blocked by Tommy Elphick.

39: It's still a game of few chances, with defences on top. A good block from Colin Hawkins denies for Crewe striker Luke Varney.

41: A good run by Kelly Youga creates an opening for Jerome Thomas, but the combination of Kuipers and Elphick blocks the midfielder's shot from a tight angle.

Half-time: Albion 0 Charlton 0. A quiet first half sees the sides level at the break.

46: Kerry Mayo, Joel Lynch, Kevin McLeod, Tommy Fraser and Adam El-Abd are all on at the break. Off go Richards, Hawkins, David Livermore, Steve Thomson and Jake Robinson. A minute into the second half, Dean Cox comes on for Hart, who receives a standing ovation.

50: Mayo's smart ball over the top to Murray almost creates an opening, but the Albion striker is marginally offside.

58: GOAL! Former Yeovil and Gillingham loan striker Chris Dickson opens the scoring. Lloyd Sam escapes down the right and cuts the ball back to Dickson and the young striker side foots the ball past Kuipers from close range.

68: A terrific run forward from Andrew Whing almost brings his first Albion goal. The right-back's one-two with Forster on the edge of the box creates an opening, but Whing shots over.

75: Two sublime moments from McLeod in the space of two minutes. First his superb cross-field ball picks out Cox on the right, but Albion fail to create an opportunity. However moments later McLeod tries his luck from long range with an excellent shot which is held by Christie.

78: A fierce angled drive from Forster goes high and wide, with Albion enjoying their best spell in the game. Shortly afterwards Kane Wills comes on for Whing, with half-time substitute El-Abd moving to full-back.

Full-time Albion 0 Charlton 1. A fairly quiet game, but a good workout for Albion and a fitting tribute to Gary Hart.

See all the goals and Micky Adams' post-match reaction on Seagulls World from this evening!

Albion: (4-4-2) Kuipers, Whing (Wills 79), Elphick, Hawkins (Lynch 45), Richards (Mayo 45); Hart (Cox 47), Thomson (El-Abd 45), Livermore (Fraser 45), Robinson (McLeod 45); Forster, Murray. Subs not used: Sullivan (GK), Gargan, Gatting.

Attendance: 4623
  • Options
    Finished 1-0.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Sounds pretty poor and that we did nothing after scoring. Hmm. Familiar...

Mind you, on the OS we sound like world-beaters! :)
  • Options
    Christie kept a clean sheet which is encouraging with Gandalf out on loan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe ...... but the report is in fact just match highlights summary - and very much from the Brighton perspective.

Wait until our OS posts a match report on Monday ..... Charlton would have played like worldbeaters and unlucky not to have won 10-0

;o)
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Blimey, that's lightening quick for the OS, respect!

I might have to retract my comment above. ;o)

Here's the team - report on OS:

Charlton: Christie, Semedo (Moutaouakil 66), Youga, Bougherra (Fortune 54), Hudson, Wagstaff (Sam 54), Racon, Shelvey (Wright 66), Thomas (Basey 54), Varney (Dickson 54), Gray.

Goal: Dickson 54

It looks the basis of the team Pards could very well put out to face Swansea - obviously, Christie won't start but Waggy or Sam, Racon or Holland, are the only likely changes. Or not. :o)
  • Options
    edited July 2008
  • Options
    it doesn't matter what the game sounds like, all that matters is the players get to know each other, get match fit, dont get injured and keep it tight at the back...with the goalscorers we've got and iwelemo no longer an option for the big boot to the half way line i think its starting to look like a plan coming together...of course, seeing as we used up plans a to y last season, plan z better work or we might have a problem...
  • Options
    Yep. Unless there's some signings soon, that pretty much looks like the first XI. Doesn't look too mighty. We'll need the youngsters to shine and one of the strikers to have a 20+ season, which is a big ask.
  • Options
    Not the greatest of games again. We dominated but just lacked that final ball most of the time. Youga stood out immesnsely for me, worked very well with Thomas and then Basey, who also looked very solid on the elft wing. Hudson looked very strong at centre back alongside Magic. He won a lot of headers and made some good tackles. Racon was excellent in midfield.....some excellent passing and ball control and some good tackles. Sam was good on the right when he came on, got to the byline a lot more and obviously put in a very good ball for Dicko to tuck away.

Not sure what happened to Weaver, but he was holding his right foot and walked off without his boot on. Wasn't hobbling too much, but may have just twisted it slightly and didn't want to risk it. Christie didn't have much to do, but seemed very confident and is a very good kicker of the ball.

The other notable position was right back. Semedo showed that he is definitely good enough as back up there and he will probably start there for Swansea, but I feel we still need another body for that position.

Some great banter between us and the Brighton fans.......both sets of fans singing 'stand up if you hate palarse' and 'if you all hate Crystal palarse clap your hands' and when we did nothing when Varney came close in the first half they came out with 'can you see the pitch from there'. Wasn a good view but a very poor stadium, but it's obviously an athletics stadium and not a football stadium. Their park and ride system is also very good.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]Sounds pretty poor and that we did nothing after scoring. Hmm. Familiar...

Mind you, on the OS we sound like world-beaters! :)[/quote]

did not do much beofre we scored either

Quite a few left at half time
  • Options
    A good run out for the team. Good passing and movement, but as mentioned above, just missing that final touch in front of goal. All in all everyone had a reasonable game and I thought Racon looked useful. The only one who really looked out of sorts was Gray. Everything seemed to bounce off him.
  • Options
    My mate claimed there was a fair amount of trouble? Find it a bit hard to believe for a friendly against a club like Brighton.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Frank Butcher[/cite]My mate claimed there was a fair amount of trouble? Find it a bit hard to believe for a friendly against a club like Brighton.

If there was I never saw any. Seemed pretty good natured and everyone seemed to have a nice day out in the sunshine.