Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew prepared for Bougherra exit

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/topsport/display.var.2410812.0.pardew_prepared_for_bougherra_exit.php

Comments

• Options
    Prepared mentally but as a team we are not even close to being 'prepared' for his exit.

Looks like it was false hope of him staying then.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Prepared mentally but as a team we are not even close to being 'prepared' for his exit.

Looks like it was false hope of him staying then.

Felt the whole tenure of the article / interview was a bit down beat, not just the majid bit.
  • Options
    He said: "We always prepare very strongly and haven't made any purchases other than Mark Hudson on a free transfer."

So he doesn't rate Fleetwood if he has forgotten him already.
  • Options
    FFS

OI Newsshopper how about some good news for once ;-)

Like...............
    newsshopper are giving all Charltron life members free beer vochers for the Swansea game
    Or

Charlton Off load Faye for £3m
  • Options
    Maybe there aint any.
  • Options
    It was inevitable really....hopefully some of the funds will find their way into a transfer kitty.....
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]FFS

Like...............
    newsshopper are giving all Charltron life members free beer vochers for the Swansea game
    Or

Charlton Off load Faye for £3m[/quote]

Free season tickets comp this week folks?
  • Options
    You can't help feel, that the club think "if only we could unload Faye", that would save us £1m this year in his wages.
    If they can't, then others have to be sacrificed, I suppose.

It's all a bit unsettling for everybody.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    If Magic is going, why play him in a first team fixuture against Brighton? Surely we should play the players who are likely to start against Swansea, and/or be there at the end of August?
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]FFS

Like...............
    Or

Charlton Off load Faye for £3m

Free season tickets comp this week folks?

Can we just have beer instead
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If Magic is going, why play him in a first team fixuture against Brighton? Surely we should play the players who are likely to start against Swansea?

On the eventuality he doesn't go.

I don't like the way things are panning out, but i think we've no option but to collectively roll our sleeves up and get on with it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I don't like the way things are panning out, but i think we've no option but to collectively roll our sleeves up and get on with it.

I agree with that but it does seem odd to play him from the start. Better to have brought him on to stretch his legs or better still to have played him at Grays, surely?
  • Options
    If Boogie is match fit, that might even enhance his 'sale-ability' or even maintain/increase the fee asked?

Or as AFKA suggests,in the eventuality that he doesn't move, he'll start v Swansea.

He's our major salable asset, so it's in the club's best interest to keep him in prime condition.
    But it's all so unsettling - for the player, let alone everybody else.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    it also sends a "business as usual" message to prospective buyers.
  • Options
    The one good thing that is obvious is that he is still willing to commit to us and play rather than sulking etc that the deal has not happened. Whether its his demands or ours, he is acting professionally and Majhid should be congratulated on that.
  • Options
    Agreed, WSS.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]The one good thing that is obvious is that he is still willing to commit to us and play rather than sulking etc that the deal has not happened. Whether its his demands or ours, he is acting professionally and Majhid should be congratulated on that.

I think that rights about Magic WSS but what message does it send to Fortune? Bascally "if I get lucky and Magic stays, you don't feature".

Take the on going saga re Gareth Barry - he hasn't been a first pick for Villa this pre-season. He did come on as a late subsitute on Saturday. Presumably the reason being that O'Neill has been resigned to losing him.

I'm not saying this is easy for anybody, let alone Pards. I just remember that he played Marcus Bent at the start of last season when he must have known he was going to be gone. I just think it would be better to focus on those who are going to be staying and build the future around them - after all if Magic does go, there is no certainty that he'll be able to bring in another centre back that is going to be better then Fortune, so why not give Fortune the nod.
  • Options
    Fortune must have even limited self awareness to know he isnt a no 1 choice at this level and that his wages are silly
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Fortune must have even limited self awareness to know he isnt a no 1 choice at this level and that his wages are silly

But he was first choice for periods last season. Indeed, until he got stupidly sent off against Ipswich he may have stayed in team. He strikes me as a player who needs to be bigged up not kicked in the a*se to get the best out of him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Fortune must have even limited self awareness to know he isnt a no 1 choice at this level and that his wages are silly

But he was first choice for periods last season. Indeed, until he got stupidly sent off against Ipswich he may have stayed in team. He strikes me as a player who needs to be bigged up not kicked in the a*se to get the best out of him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we NEED to sell him it's a bit risky playing him. No-one yet has mentioned the injury to Weaver. If it's serious we may have to recall Randolph and go with two rookies. I know we've been linked with Gerken at Col U but we have no money to spend so that's probably a no-go. Worrying times all round.
  • Options
    The departures may start to put an air of depression over the squad. It will then come down to our bouncebackability, I fancy
  • Options
    On the OS, Pards is quoted as saying:-

''I expect to lose a couple more players, not because I want to, but because I have to''

So the way I understand it, that's three to leave in total, Bougie, Faye and one other! Perhaps our financial situation is worse than we imagine.

I don't know why, but I am still optomistic that the youngsters will do well for us this year. Can't wait for the start!
  • Options
    Fortune was only ever first choice by default, i.e. injuries or lack of form elsewhere - I believe.
  • Options
    This is bad news, but at least we know Bougy isn't acting the prima donna...

This season promises to be even more of a reality check than last!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If Magic is going, why play him in a first team fixuture against Brighton? Surely we should play the players who are likely to start against Swansea, and/or be there at the end of August?[/quote]

We don't have any other players!

Apparently we are the poorest team in the Championship and will sell anyone to anyone if the price is more than two bob.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If Magic is going, why play him in a first team fixuture against Brighton? Surely we should play the players who are likely to start against Swansea, and/or be there at the end of August?

Apparently we are the poorest team in the Championship and will sell anyone to anyone if the price is more than two bob.
    Please please tell me you're saying that tongue in cheek?

Poorest team in the Championship? I bet that 75-80% of the clubs in the league would prefer to be in our situation than theirs.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Vincenzo[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]If Magic is going, why play him in a first team fixuture against Brighton? Surely we should play the players who are likely to start against Swansea, and/or be there at the end of August?[/quote]

Apparently we are the poorest team in the Championship and will sell anyone to anyone if the price is more than two bob.[/quote]
    Please please tell me you're saying that tongue in cheek?

Poorest team in the Championship? I bet that 75-80% of the clubs in the league would prefer to be in our situation than theirs.[/quote]

Our position is that even after clearing the squad out and getting in fees for Bent, Iwelumo and McCarthy we still can't afford to buy more than a non-league striker.

Can't see any club in the ccc being jealous of that position.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]So the way I understand it, that's three to leave in total, Bougie, Faye and one other! Perhaps our financial situation is worse than we imagine.

It was clear some time ago that £5M was needed from player sales because that was the shortfall between £20M needed and the rights issue of £15M. Assuming that the Hudson/McCarthy "swap" was pretty much a balance of money in and money out, and Marcus Bent less Fleetwood netted between £500K and £750K, then unless we sell Magic for £4.5M, (currently his price is around £2.5M), then we need to raise about another £2M. Given that it's unlikely we can give Faye away, the only other players with some value which may get up to that figure would be ZZ, Fortune, Thomas, Ambrose, and Weaver as they are all relatively young all have PL experience. McCleod maybe a possibility but we aren't going to get what we paid for him (and being injured is not very attractive). Alternatively there is about £3M of striker talent in Varney and Gray (although I think this would be a last resort).

It may be depressing to contemplate but more than one player sale seems to be the reality.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]So the way I understand it, that's three to leave in total, Bougie, Faye and one other! Perhaps our financial situation is worse than we imagine.

It was clear some time ago that £5M was needed from player sales because that was the shortfall between £20M needed and the rights issue of £15M. Assuming that the Hudson/McCarthy "swap" was pretty much a balance of money in and money out, and Marcus Bent less Fleetwood netted between £500K and £750K, then unless we sell Magic for £4.5M, (currently his price is around £2.5M), then we need to raise about another £2M. Given that it's unlikely we can give Faye away, the only other players with some value which may get up to that figure would be ZZ, Fortune, Thomas, Ambrose, and Weaver as they are all relatively young all have PL experience. McCleod maybe a possibility but we aren't going to get what we paid for him (and being injured is not very attractive). Alternatively there is about £3M of striker talent in Varney and Gray (although I think this would be a last resort).

It may be depressing to contemplate but more than one player sale seems to be the reality.

Hurrah, I thought it was just me that thought their was and always has been clarity in our financial position and anyone expecting differently has had their heads buried for the last three months. I still expect outgoings but I also expect replacements. Doesnt take Einstein to work out those incomings will be cheaper than those going out. Fact of life.