Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew prepared for Bougherra exit

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pards said on the OS:

"Hopefully, I'll be able to bring in a couple to replace them, but whether I can bring players in of the same level remains to be seen."

That's the bit that worries me.

No doubt if players are sold, replacements will be signed (we'll need the numbers at least) but they won't be of the level of our Prem experienced departures. Pards said so.
  • Options
    Oggy, that really goes without saying though doesn't it. Sodje for a small fee and a freebie like Gary Breen, unpalatable as that may be.
  • Options
    Sodje I think would be a reasonable signing Large and we believe he's got the right character.

Breen is 35 in December, surely he's not pacy/mobile enough - and at his age, in perhaps his last season, he'll expect to play rather kill time in the stiffs/bench.

Who else is there (obviously we are all better at signing players than Pards, lol)
  • Options
    Several premier teams will be offloading players ,Portsmouth are reported to want to move up to 6 out. Maybe for example Cranie or Primus would be an option on a season long loan. We cant keep risking players from the lower leagues.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BexleyRed[/cite]Several premier teams will be offloading players ,Portsmouth are reported to want to move up to 6 out. Maybe for example Cranie or Primus would be an option on a season long loan. We cant keep risking players from the lower leagues.

I can really see the likes of Thomas being used in just such a deal, considering that Harry likes him!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]So the way I understand it, that's three to leave in total, Bougie, Faye and one other! Perhaps our financial situation is worse than we imagine.

It was clear some time ago that £5M was needed from player sales because that was the shortfall between £20M needed and the rights issue of £15M. Assuming that the Hudson/McCarthy "swap" was pretty much a balance of money in and money out, and Marcus Bent less Fleetwood netted between £500K and £750K, then unless we sell Magic for £4.5M, (currently his price is around £2.5M), then we need to raise about another £2M. Given that it's unlikely we can give Faye away, the only other players with some value which may get up to that figure would be ZZ, Fortune, Thomas, Ambrose, and Weaver as they are all relatively young all have PL experience. McCleod maybe a possibility but we aren't going to get what we paid for him (and being injured is not very attractive). Alternatively there is about £3M of striker talent in Varney and Gray (although I think this would be a last resort).

It may be depressing to contemplate but more than one player sale seems to be the reality.
    We've also knocked £1.3m off the £5m by saving on Bent's £25k per week wages.
  • Options
    what f**king 5 million ? one person says that figure on here and its the bible ?

Palarse are buying thats Palarse !

who has said we should be flashing cart loads of cash and buying big ?

a "free transfer" and a none league player FFS our squad which finished 10th is now good enough ?

so what if we are £5 million in the red ? if we miss out on promotion for the want of minor investment we miss out on £60 million and maybe that chance will never ever come our way again.

Im worried and to be honest more worried than in the last 5/6 years or more. I think we are sending all the wrong signals out. I think that we you easily destroy the team spirit before a ball is kicked. I cant see us being in the top half or having much chance at all. Ill stilll go because i hope im wrong and we do the business , and even if we are 2 bob ill still be there. I dont need to think everything is ooo soooo good and to be totaly frank being told your some sort of "better" supportor because you believe we will be right up there is just bolloxx.
    Football is all about opinions no two people see the same game the same way.
  • Options
    We used to be a Prem club, with prem income, GH.

The banks fall over themselves to lend money to Prem clubs, because any debt is underwritten with huge Prem/TV handouts.

The reality is, banks don't want to lend to ex-Prem sides in the Championship ,existing on Championship income.
    In the present financial climate, banks simply don't see ex-Prem clubs in the Championship, like Charlton, Watford, etc as a good risk.

They see us holding on to debts structured in the Prem - and these banks are getting nervous.
    Which is why they are putting pressure on clubs to pay off these debts early.

How does a club like Charlton raise money to pay off debts without Prem income?
    By raising cash by selling off players, of course.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oggy --true-ish we dont have a big backer like 3/4 of the others. im not going over the £20 million we received in transfers the last season or the two parashute apyments or the share issue or the fact we had an average gate of 23,000 last year. It appears we aint got money .

The worst thing is on paper our team aint that far away and which ever way people spin it selling our best and bringing in lesser quality gets us further away not nearer.
  • Options
    I've got to agree with you there, GH ....... I think Pards has honed the team into just a player or so short of a very useful outfit.

To break it up at this stage of the pre-season to pay some nervous bank that's over anxious about it's credit liability, is a real kick in the old sphericals. Especially to Pards.

But you know, providing the spirit is not broken, people/players/teams often thrive on adversity.

If the team give it their best shot - and we are right behind them, then we're quite possibly going to have a better season than last. We'll see.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thats just it....I said it before, we have to be realistic, but at the same time guys in a slightly contradictory way, we have to talk it up and be positive otherwise it will be carried onto the pitch. We have a great nucleus, its up to Pards to mold the team ethic we have lacked.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    GH I'm only quoting what was said at the time of the £15M rights issue. They need to raise £20M, the net means a £5M shortfall. I don't think this amount is disputed. It may be as has been said that some of that is made up by savings in wages. Personally I doubt that as I suspect we have a separate budgetry constraint on total wages.

The reason we haven't got the money I suspect is that much of the transfer money that came in has been used to reduce the debt and to cover the one off downsizing costs.

I don't like it but it is the reality. The financial imperitive of the board is to get back to the FAPL as quickly as possible. If there was a pot of gold waiting to be spent, don't you think they'd be spending it?

My personal opinion and it is only an opinion is that the club is reducing its debt because

1. the club would be in a perilous position if it didn't because although it assets may exceed it's liabilities, the costs incurred in the debts make it very hard to run the club at anything other than a loss. So what you may say? Well if the club is losing money, then the only way to bridge that gap is either to sell assets (in this case players), or borrow money at a cost, or obtain investment.

2.The current state of football is that most championship sides are up for sale, and I just think any potential investor might be put off by a mountain of debt. Because some key Directors have underwritten the rights issue by purchasing convertable bonds (a form of long term debt), that means if the club is sold, they can convert the debt to equity