Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chappell and unsettled players

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
It's okay saying you want a settled squad of players who want to play for Charlton. However, by the nature of what is happening we are unsettling players. Players with ambition such as Varney or ZZ for example are going to think what the hell is going on and which direction are we heading. It also says to other Clubs that if they show an interest in a player and unsettle him then we will sell. Then we could be in a position where players start going for deflated fees because it's a Parker/Reid scenario.

Also, if we were talking to Hudson NOW what do you think his decision would be ??

Comments

• Options
    its a fair point Large.

If there are to be more sales, which i suspect there are, then they need to be done as quickly as possible, we close this chapter and start focusing on the future.

If there are to be no more sales though, then it needs to be made very clear and public.

It appears the whole club and fanbase is looking over its shoulder at the moment.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    chapple made his money buying up ex NHS places running them in the private sector and selling them at a huge profit. Depends how you want to see this , either as a sound business brain and strategy or asset stripping and profitering.

Not easy with this guy at all.

Murray, Alwen, Varney totaly 100% we just wouldnt have CAFC without them.

I do wonder if Chappel sees a way to make some cash out of this club. Must admit though God knows how or where.

and telling everyone we are potless and everyone is up for sale is just madness.
  • Options
    Perhaps not all players are happy with the pairing down, those who arent are off.?
  • Options
    There's 'something' going on big time behind the scenes...there can be NO OTHER reason for such drastic action being taken...yes we have always been run prudently under this board....but this is being prudent almost to the point of self destruction.
    If we as fans can see it, then of course so can 'the powers that be'.
    So are we simply being 'overly' prudent or is something more afoot....therein lies the mystery!
    Speaking for myself.....I think there is.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    you may be right SoundAs, squaring up the books for investment/sale. I do think that something was happening/going to happen that Pete Varney was uncomfortable with and hence his leaving, coinciding with the appointment with Chappel. Too cincidental in my opinion.
  • Options
    My general impression - and lots of reading between the lines - seems to suggest that this relates to either the sale/investment theory or a policy shift that accepts that promotion may be unachievable without considerable financial input and is a realignment and acceptance of the club as a mid table Championship setup - where we finished last season anyway!

I don't think it helps that all of this unsettling change of policy is apparently being undertaken by relative strangers to Charlton fans and is creating varying degrees of suspicion as to what exactly is going on.

The downside, apart from worrying the fans - and almost certainly putting off potential late ST renewals - is that this apparent lack of ambition - perceived or otherwise - will see prospective established players being disinterested in coming too us and current players getting itchy feet!
  • Options
    Personally I think we are now assembling a squad I'd pay to go and see - young hungry players, some of them home produced and the overpaid underachievers are mostly off the books, only Faye Thomas and Holland to go. I didn't include Ambrose in this because he's clearly been carrying an injury since before we signed him and I expect big things from him this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addickson's God[/cite]Personally I think we are now assembling a squad I'd pay to go and see - young hungry players, some of them home produced and the overpaid underachievers are mostly off the books, only Faye Thomas and Holland to go. I didn't include Ambrose in this because he's clearly been carrying an injury since before we signed him and I expect big things from him this season.

how can you call Holland an overpaid underachiever ? That is as bizarre a comment as I have ever heard !!
  • Options
    Ambrose has been carrying an injury all these years?
  • Options
    Squad looked very happy to me today. I have it on very good authority that Varney is still delighted to be at Charlton and has been said to love the club. Faye didnt appear unless I somehow missed him (Didnt hear his name mentioned), but they all looked pretty hungry to me and Im expecting great things from some of the younger lads over the next couple of years. Hudson made plenty of noise today and seems set to be our next captain. Youga looks supremely fit, and JT really looks the part for once. Things are looking up guys, and as I said before we will all talk ourselves into doom and gloom unless we really get behind this team. Plus point was that Elliott is fit. Toddy/Ambrose/Holland/Weaver/Dickson all carrying injuries and didnt take part
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought he had been carrying around a sack of spuds !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Squad looked very happy to me today. I have it on very good authority that Varney is still delighted to be at Charlton and has been said to love the club. Faye didnt appear unless I somehow missed him (Didnt hear his name mentioned), but they all looked pretty hungry to me and Im expecting great things from some of the younger lads over the next couple of years. Hudson made plenty of noise today and seems set to be our next captain. Youga looks supremely fit, and JT really looks the part for once. Things are looking up guys, and as I said before we will all talk ourselves into doom and gloom unless we really get behind this team. Plus point was that Elliott is fit. Toddy/Ambrose/Holland/Weaver/Dickson all carrying injuries and didnt take part

Had the pleasure of meeting Varney yesterday and all I can say is he absolutely loves it here and enthuses like a fan. In fact he said to me he wishes he could be a fan in terms of travelling and watching. A very nice, decent young man. Whats he doing as a footballer?
  • Options
    Not sure he appealed enough to the fans for calm in the piece on OS, all a bit matter of fact
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]Squad looked very happy to me today. I have it on very good authority that Varney is still delighted to be at Charlton and has been said to love the club. Faye didnt appear unless I somehow missed him (Didnt hear his name mentioned), but they all looked pretty hungry to me and Im expecting great things from some of the younger lads over the next couple of years. Hudson made plenty of noise today and seems set to be our next captain. Youga looks supremely fit, and JT really looks the part for once. Things are looking up guys, and as I said before we will all talk ourselves into doom and gloom unless we really get behind this team. Plus point was that Elliott is fit. Toddy/Ambrose/Holland/Weaver/Dickson all carrying injuries and didnt take part

Faye was out there.
  • Options
    From my position under this dark cloud I must admit I do like what I see in Varney.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Faye was taking a full part in the training.

And in case you are planning any protest banners it's Chappell.

[cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]chapple made his money buying up ex NHS places running them in the private sector and selling them at a huge profit. Depends how you want to see this , either as a sound business brain and strategy or asset stripping and profitering.

I really think that someone who has put close on £10m into the Club and half of that just a few months back when it was in the Championship deserves a little more consideration than implications of being an asset stripper.

[cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]c

and telling everyone we are potless and everyone is up for sale is just madness.

But people on here have been screaming for the board to "tell us the truth" and "stop hiding". Which do people want? Or maybe it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]There's 'something' going on big time behind the scenes...there can be NO OTHER reason for such drastic action being taken....

Now you are sounding like Reams. There could be lots of reasons and plenty sound more plausible than takeover such as getting a balance budget, living within our means, dealing with a reduced income. Bing said it all brilliantly with his analogy of the advice you would give an individual.

I'm fairly sure the board haven't closed the door to further investment if and when it comes along. What they, or any business, can not do is to budget now for income that may come along at some time in the future.

This is not a good time at CAFC, I'd like to see us bringing in more and better quality players just like every other fan, manager and board member connected with Charlton, I'm not sure how things will go next year or if the kids will be able to make the step up and we need more players in key positions. I know it, everyone on this board knows it, Pardew and the directors know it.

But we can only spend what we have. We spent big with Dowie and it didn't work. We spent big last year on a reduced income and it didn't work.

At some point you have to say enough, now we straighten things out. The PLC directors have said that that time is now. Some see the logic in that, other disagree. So be it
  • Options
    bit worrying though Henry isn't it.
  • Options
    Erm Henry...come on now, I'll never sound like reames!!
  • Options
    Good point as usual Henry but Goonhater is merely pointing out Mr. Chappells business history. I feel sure he invested in those businesses before he asset stripped them if in fact that is what he did. Not that I am saying that is his intention at Charlton as know nothing about his business past.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]bit worrying though Henry isn't it.

I'd be more worried if the club was spending more and more money if couldn't afford what with the parachute payments running out.

But as I said it isn't a good time at CAFC however that doesn't mean that all is doom and gloom
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Doom and gloom can be a good thing too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Erm Henry...come on now, I'll never sound like reames!!

Sorry, that was harsh : - )
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Good point as usual Henry but Goonhater is merely pointing out Mr. Chappells business history. I feel sure he invested in those businesses before he asset stripped them if in fact that is what he did. Not that I am saying that is his intention at Charlton as know nothing about his business past.

I just think that it is unfair to imply that someone maybe an asset striper when there is no evidence of that. You might as well ask him "when did you stop beating your wife?"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Doom and gloom can be a good thing too.

For singer songwriters yes : - )
  • Options
    I knew I had a talent ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Good point as usual Henry but Goonhater is merely pointing out Mr. Chappells business history. I feel sure he invested in those businesses before he asset stripped them if in fact that is what he did. Not that I am saying that is his intention at Charlton as know nothing about his business past.

So you trust Goonerhater as an expert on how Derek Chappell made his money? He might have some credibility in that department if he could spell his name correctly...

Chappell won a number of awards and is generally held to be a successful businessman, in any case he's not the sole decision maker - Murray and the other directors are still around and still have a stake in both the club and the decision making.
  • Options
    Dont have a pop at me for your poor interpretation of what I said. i in fact said "If in fact that is what he did"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Dont have a pop at me for your poor interpretation of what I said. i in fact said "If in fact that is what he did"

First it's ironic that you are getting upset at people's remarks being misinterpreted.

More importantly you were alleging that Chappell may have "asset stripped" them, a statement that is fairly close to libellous, what do you know of how Derek Chappell made his money in order to suggest that he may have been involved in asset stripping?

All I know is that he left school at 16 or so and made his monry by building a business, the antithesis of asset-stripping, unless of course you know better...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Erm Henry...come on now, I'll never sound like reames!!

I just think that it is unfair to imply that someone maybe an asset striper when there is no evidence of that. You might as well ask him "when did you stop beating your wife?"

He beats his wife? ;-)
  • Options
    He beats his wife? ;-)

Apparently so, SHG read it on a website and it was written by someone who knows neither Derek Chappell or his wife, therefore it must be true.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

He beats his wife? ;-)

Don't have any evidence but there was some talk on a message board so could be true.

Of course he doesn't and it's not a topic to really joke about. But if Derek Chappell were reading this I doubt that he would appreciate seeing his name linked with asset striping. Just not a nice thing to say especially when there is just no evidence of it whatsoever.

Sorry I just think it is out of order.