Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What the f*** is going on ?

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]But you have to admit she has a very good point.

thanks ali, i'll get back to making coffee now.
  • Options
    I understand the defensive attitude towards the club taken by any Charlton supporter and I have been one since 1960 but lets not become a board where it is sacriligous to critisise or question what the board does. All I am saying is that at the moment I think that Charlton are going backwards now I hope that it is steadying of the ship in order to move on again but I feel fairly sure that Southampton, Leicester, Coventry etc etc fans felt just the same. Have I got a season ticket ...Yes Will boo anyone in a Charlton Shirt...No. Do I think something is wrong at The Valley at the moment...Sorry but I do.
  • Options
    of course we went backwards, we were relegated! we are steadying the ship by selling off the saleable assets to move forward in the future. its a negative move but for positive reasons.
    so you're right in a way, but looking at it from a different angle.
  • Options
    No reason to say sorry Guru its your opinion.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]I understand the defensive attitude towards the club taken by any Charlton supporter and I have been one since 1960 but lets not become a board where it is sacriligous to critisise or question what the board does. All I am saying is that at the moment I think that Charlton are going backwards now I hope that it is steadying of the ship in order to move on again but I feel fairly sure that Southampton, Leicester, Coventry etc etc fans felt just the same. Have I got a season ticket ...Yes Will boo anyone in a Charlton Shirt...No. Do I think something is wrong at The Valley at the moment...Sorry but I do.

We have been going backwards since the last couple of seasons under Curbishley!

I happen to agree with you SHG, I think that there is something very iffy going on with the club and I simply don't have the blind faith in the Board that a lot of others seem to have.
  • Options
    my own opinion (therefore it isnt wrong or pesimistic but opinion !!!!!!!!) is they are clearing debt , maybe the banks have told them the rate of overdarft is going up sky high. They see the yoof players as our way forward and are taking a gamble that we can be up there with no real cash spent on the playing staff. I think its a huge risk .

I think it's simpler - looking at a lot of other relegated Premiership clubs they have gone into freefall and have been unable to clear the high-earning players and debt, consequently relegation has turned into a disaster - look at Leeds, Sheff Weds, Barnsley etc.

Whether rightly or wrongly the board have opted to make some hard but realistic decisions such as deciding to operate within an appropriate budget for the level we are playing at. That means a slimmer squad with some of the high-earners sold off before they can be a drain and the dead wood cleared out.

Running at a loss and not getting promoted could be a real killer next season - then we won't have parachute money and there really will be a firesale, not just of players, but fixtures, fittings and maybe even the club itself. So I see this as an ounce of prevention, rather than a ton of cure.
  • Options
    we're all DOOOOOOOOOOOOMED
  • Options
    Phew. Thanks GH - Every time one one of us "doom and gloom" merchants stick their head above the parapet and say what we think the defece of the club at all costs posters make you think you have no entitlement to a view or opinion other than theirs. As a Charlton fan I hope you are all right and everything is just dandy but I also think that at the moment it is not. Thats all.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Ok. Club has a financial review amid rumours of a takeover. Review finds that the board feel that they are best placed to continue running club. Mr. Varney leaves to spend more time with his family. Mr. Chapple takes the big seat. Everything at the club that is not nailed down or painted red is put up for sale. Spend nothing unless it has a blue cross on it. In 13 months take in money from the sale of Diawarra, Bent x 2, Traore, Reid, Iwelumo, Bougherra, McCarthy, couple of minnows and recieve 2 years parachute money. Mislead our manager about financial situation. Scare the fans sh*tless. The board keeps uncannily quiet....Discuss[/quote]

As a politician and a some-time football reporter (cue pantomime jeers from stage left and right), my advice would always be to ignore what people say and judge them by what they do!
  • Options
    The thing you've got to remember is that the club aren't immune from all the other economic stuff that's going on at the moment. How is the interest on the overdraft/loans calculated, because if it's based on the interbank lending rate, that's shot up since the Northern Rock thing happened. And if their leccy bill's gone up 20% that's not going to be an insignificant amount of money either.

It doesn't mean the board misled Pards, but the situation they find themselves in has changed and they've had to adapt accordingly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Ok. Club has a financial review amid rumours of a takeover. Review finds that the board feel that they are best placed to continue running club. Mr. Varney leaves to spend more time with his family. Mr. Chapple takes the big seat. Everything at the club that is not nailed down or painted red is put up for sale. Spend nothing unless it has a blue cross on it. In 13 months take in money from the sale of Diawarra, Bent x 2, Traore, Reid, Iwelumo, Bougherra, McCarthy, couple of minnows and recieve 2 years parachute money. Mislead our manager about financial situation. Scare the fans sh*tless. The board keeps uncannily quiet....Discuss

I think that your post is distinctly lacking in facts and has just been cobbled together using an an amalgamation of untruths and assumptions.
    Not to mention a fair helping of the doom and gloom that's been written on here over the last few days

FFS people, chill out
  • Options
    I don't get what the issue is here.

The situation is we are selling players we can't afford to keep.

If we have no money then surely this is a sensible thing to do to stave of even greater financial woes.

What other motive for selling the higher value players there could be?
    Maybe they are tidying the book to prepare for a takeover - in which case we need to be patient as a little short term pain for some long term gain is surely a good thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Ok. Club has a financial review amid rumours of a takeover. Review finds that the board feel that they are best placed to continue running club. Mr. Varney leaves to spend more time with his family. Mr. Chapple takes the big seat. Everything at the club that is not nailed down or painted red is put up for sale. Spend nothing unless it has a blue cross on it. In 13 months take in money from the sale of Diawarra, Bent x 2, Traore, Reid, Iwelumo, Bougherra, McCarthy, couple of minnows and recieve 2 years parachute money. Mislead our manager about financial situation. Scare the fans sh*tless. The board keeps uncannily quiet....Discuss

As a politician and a some-time football reporter (cue pantomime jeers from stage left and right), my advice would always be to ignore what people say and judge them by what they do!

Do you include politicians in that?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]
    Trust a woman to butt in on an argument
    But you have to admit she has a very good point.

I was trying to think of the words to type without sounding patronising, by time I had, it had been said!!!
    A very good point and well put across, ..................slinks off, not wishing to risk a headlock from Miss Sausage or her mates........
  • Options
    Mate was worse under Curbs. From our lot the hours and hours and hours some saying he should f**k off and some saying he is God. All were right all wouldnt budge an inch but thing was all were concerned and wanted the best for thier football team.
  • Options
    This is getting boring....its almost as bad as the fans views on the OS.

If You talk something down for long enough its sure to happen.

Id fall over if people started being positive about the club.....be concerned, but lets not let things get totally out of perspective
  • Options
    Our squad was way too big last season and was part of the reason for its downfall - it gave Pardew too much scope to tinker, which he probably also felt he had to do to keep players happy.

I've pretty much avoided all things football all summer long so haven't been party to all the rumours, scare mongering and inexplicable slagging off of the board, so maybe I'm approaching this season from a different starting point, I'm fairly happy though.

I'm not too sad to see the back of any of the players that have gone over the course of the summer, with the possible exception of Bougherra and I am pleased that the squad size has been reduced.

I think we've got a steady keeper, a couple of exciting young full backs, a pair of talented (albeit inconsistent) wingers, a real prospect in the centre of the park and a front two that would make the starting eleven of most teams in this division. We have decent back-up for the forwards and some good squad players back there too.

We're a couple of centre backs short and still haven't found that battling midfielder we've been searching for since Parker left, ideally Bougherra wouldn't have gone and we'd have bought in a couple of quality players, that may still happen. I really can't see what all the fuss is about?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Phew. Thanks GH - Every time one one of us "doom and gloom" merchants stick their head above the parapet and say what we think the defece of the club at all costs posters make you think you have no entitlement to a view or opinion other than theirs. As a Charlton fan I hope you are all right and everything is just dandy but I also think that at the moment it is not. Thats all.

but is it also not fair for those with a more positive slanted opinion on things to voice their opinons also? I don't think you're wrong for having your opinion, i and others just don't share it, thats ok too! :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: TelinOz[/cite]This is getting boring

If You talk something down for long enough its sure to happen.
    be concerned, but lets not let things get totally out of perspective

best one of the lot
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Normally I can't wait for the season to start for footballing reasons, this season I want it to start so that we have something to discuss other than half-baked conspiracy theories.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I swear people already had there posts in mind about us getting mugged by WBA for Bougie, and they couldn't use them, so they needed some other line of attack on the club.

Seems this is the one for the day.
  • Options
    the comments from Pards were unesscary so is some of the comments on here TBH

when you look at Majid Bougerra you dont see Rio ferdinand or john Terry

yes he was good(ish) yes he was fast yes he could play a bit

but most importantly he was on bigish wages and we had someone willing to pay what we did for him what is the big deal he has gone.

Muzza needs to get closer to the cofferes because he and he alone (sorry muzza) allowed his system for spending cash and getting quality players in to go a wry

Yes Dowie spent most with muzza's knowledge

Pards spent some with Muzza's knowledge

WE DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO WASTE anymore or que us becoming Leicester or Coventry nothing has gone wrong yet put the sandwhich boards down the end is not nigh
  • Options
    Madjid was useful but not indispensable. Jon Fortune may be the current scourge of the boo boys but he is a very capable player, certainly at Championship level.

We have financial problems we have recouped what we paid out and got one of the higher earners off the books.

I reckon that's a good thing.

Good to see the lifers I did this morning btw.
  • Options
    I just wish people like Brunello, Suzi and Rock Spectacle would stop brown nosing the club.

They ALWAYS stick up for the club and can see no wrong in anything it does.

Take off your red and white tinted specs and get real.
  • Options
    Ummmmmm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I just wish people like Brunello, Suzi and Rock Spectacle would stop brown nosing the club.

Thats not true. I didnt agree with the Fans Directorship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I reckon a few people on this forum might be bowling round the valley at the beginning of the season looking like this:
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I just wish people like Brunello, Suzi and Rock Spectacle would stop brown nosing the club.

Thats not true. I didnt agree with the Fans Directorship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which has now gone. Yet again just falling into line with whatever the club tell you to think. Hop along : - )
  • Options
    Just nipped home to feed the cat - and I find everyone embroiled in Much Ado About Nothing.

Well, like our old mate Shakespeare (who's rumoured not to be joining Charlton in this transfer window), everyone seems to have plenty to say about what they think is going on. But why all the knee-jerk reaction and why all the expectation that every detail of operating the club should be made public on a running commentary newsloop basis?

SuziSausage put it all into perspective with her post - people do seem to be jumping to conclusions and blowing things out of proportion all the time. Compared to us, people who don't spend all day on messageboards (lol) seem nowhere as neurotic about the change in policy at the club.

Anyway,our new football season kicks off in just a week's time.
    No doubt, that will give people a real reason to moan.
  • Options
    hey oggs thank fuk the voice of reason has returned i think afka is unconcious somewhere after repeatedly banging his head against the brickwall