Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

An appeal to all of those on the verge of panic/open rebellion

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
Could we all stop blaming those at the club for the (perceived) mess that we may or not be in?

If you have any complaints, please address them to the one person who is really responsible for pissing what finances we once had up the wall on 'footballers' like Djimi Traore et al and thus leaving us in the current financial situation we find ourselves:

Ian "F**kface" Dowie
Queens Park Rangers
Loftus Road Stadium
South Africa Road
London
W12 7PJ

The board stumped up the cash. He wasted it. We're skint.
Lets just deal with the situation and stick together as a club (fans, players, manager, board) and move on.

It really is the only option if we are to stand the remotest chance of success.

Comments

• Options
    I knew that eventually people would grow to dislike Dowie as much as I do. I know it's easy to lay the blame..but...yes it's that easy.
    Last season I was anti-Coventry and now I'm anti-QPR.
  • Options
    maybe if dowie had been given as much time as pardew in charge we'd be in a worse position.... i doubt it ...
    let's see how dowie gets on with a full season under his belt at qpr ... i think he'll better last years finishing position for us
  • Options
    Not if he goes out and buys Traore and Faye he won't.
  • Options
    i don't think many managers would have got us to where we finished last season.
  • Options
    don't be daft it was Andrew Mills fault..

Personally I think all main persons concerned at the time need to shoulder a little of the blame, but Dowie 50% of it at least.
  • Options
    didn't mandy faye say he wanted to go to rangers to play european championship football ???
    in that case, so do i and so does my wife !!!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Who employed him ? Went for the cheap option and boy arnt they and us paying for it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Who employed him ? Went for the cheap option and boy arnt they and us paying for it.

Agreed, before we lay all or woes at the door of Dowie there are a few other things to consider:-

Who left us with a squad that wasn't good enough and who agreed the fees and wages for the players Dowie picked?
  • Options
    I think that it's easy to blame Dowie. Pardew's not been brilliant in the market either and it's not like Dowie agreed the fees for those crappy players. He also had nothing to do with the Gibbs/Sorrondo mess which cost us millions.
  • Options
    The seeds of our present situation were sown long before Dowie was in charge. It was Curbs' hubris that got us here and the boards unwillingness to tell him a few home truths.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]The seeds of our present situation were sown long before Dowie was in charge. It was Curbs' hubris that got us here and the boards unwillingness to tell him a few home truths.

Think that's pretty much spot on.
  • Options
    Here we go again. Blame Curbishley.

Curbishley offered to see out his contract the Board said no. He can hardly be blamed for the squad he left in those circumstances. Curbishley would have made some signings had he stayed and they would have been better than Faye, Traore, Hasselbaink etc.

If Curbishley had been given the money both Dowie and Pardew have had or even the money one or the other had we would still be a Premiership club.
  • Options
    Spot on Len....

That's not to say he should of stayed or that he wasn't "tired" at the end of his era.

BUT- he isn't, we aren't and tbh, I really don't care- It's now about what we have and what we achieve over the next season so whether It's Dowie, Mills Curbs or even the supporters director chappy to blame for our demise, lets just move on....
  • Options
    Has to be 896th debate on here on how Curbs left us :)

Len, nail on the head.

Remember the old netaddicks days, all the posts about how great it would be if we got relegated, proper football bla bla bla.

Be careful for what you wish for.
  • Options
    Can I just say Marcus Bent m'lud, I rest my case.
  • Options
    Raise you with Darren Bent :)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]Can I just say Marcus Bent m'lud, I rest my case.

I'd say one duffer in 15 years is pretty damn good compared to 3 in 3 weeks or however long it took Dowie to get Faye, Traore and Hasselbaink.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Good idea for the club shop Top Trumps with comprising with every player that has played for us.

Talking about club shop some women on saturday was off on one regarding the lettering machine.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Here we go again. Blame Curbishley.

Curbishley offered to see out his contract the Board said no. He can hardly be blamed for the squad he left in those circumstances. Curbishley would have made some signings had he stayed and they would have been better than Faye, Traore, Hasselbaink etc.

If Curbishley had been given the money both Dowie and Pardew have had or even the money one or the other had we would still be a Premiership club.

That's not quite right. Curbishley made it public knowledge that he wouldn't be signing a new contract and therefore put the board in an impossible position. Besides there had been rumours about Hasslebaink and Faye before Curbishley left, there's no way of knowing whether he would of signed them.

Had Curbishley been given the sort of money the others had been given maybe 2 seasons sooner then I'd probably agree with you about still being in the prem however, for whatever reason the squad was allowed to go downhill, and therefore, while I don't solely blame Curbishley, he can't be absolved from responsibility either. The seeds of relegation were sown under him.
  • Options
    The Board should take 50% blame for making such a mess of the selection process when they had plenty of time, the rest is Dowie for the money he wasted.

I don't think Pardew expected promotion last season but this season must be the one that he is judged on - so lets support him & the team and get POSITIVE
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see you with Bryan Hughes and Raise you Franny Jeffers.
  • Options
    Traore, was sheeeite, but did have quite a pedirgree, Faye was/is just......
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Here we go again. Blame Curbishley.

That's not quite right. Curbishley made it public knowledge that he wouldn't be signing a new contract and therefore put the board in an impossible position. Besides there had been rumours about Hasslebaink and Faye before Curbishley left, there's no way of knowing whether he would of signed them.

Had Curbishley been given the sort of money the others had been given maybe 2 seasons sooner then I'd probably agree with you about still being in the prem however, for whatever reason the squad was allowed to go downhill, and therefore, while I don't solely blame Curbishley, he can't be absolved from responsibility either. The seeds of relegation were sown under him.

It's water under the bridge now but, as I posted when it was all happening, the Board had the choice of keeping Curbs on as he DID say he would see out his contract, appointing Keith Peacock as caretaker like Blackburn used to with Tony Parkes thus buying time to make the right appointment that way, a combination of the first two options or making a hasty new appointment.

The Board, wrongly as it turned out, chose the fourth option.

You simply cannot blame somebody for other peoples' decisions which is what those who are blaming Curbs are doing.
  • Options
    sure you can, the board argued and rightly so that by refusing to extend his deal Curbs was effectively ending his tenure or at least announcing it. They then argued this would prove detremintal to signing new players.. Whether you agree with that or not, that was the apparent thinking
  • Options
    ScoSco
    edited August 2008
    I wonder if in two to five seasons time we will still be blaming the past as a reason to stop making the best of what have now? Won't that be fun!

We had our day in the sun during the Curbishley years and I am so happy that we did because it was great.

We made mistakes during the end of that era and then subsequent employment of Dowie and all that went with it. That is also done now and will never change no matter how many times we re-visit it.

If we keep clinging on to pasts both good and bad we will never move on. Now is the time that matters.

The new season starts on Saturday, we won't be the best team in the league but it'll still be my team and my mates around me.

I plan on enjoying it as much as I can which will be a lot easier for me if I go along ready to sing and have a laugh.
  • Options
    I think the Board were just as culpable for allowing the squad to get as bad as it did and the money that became available for Dowie should have been made available to Curbishley 2 seasons before.

The fact is though that Dowie inherited a poor squad of players and that is down to Curbishley.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]I wonder if in two to five seasons time we will still be blaming the past as a reason to stop making the best of what have now? Won't that be fun!

We had our day in the sun during the Curbishley years and I am so happy that we did because it was great.

We made mistakes during the end of that era and then subsequent employment of Dowie and all that went with it. That is also done now and will never change no matter how many times we re-visit it.

If we keep clinging on to pasts both good and bad we will never move on. Now is the time that matters.

The new season starts on Saturday, we won't be the best team in the league but it'll still be my team and my mates around me.

I plan on enjoying it as much as I can which will be a lot easier for me if I go along ready to sing and have a laugh.

513849364_3ad2f94923_b.jpg
  • Options
    We owe Curbs (and Richard Murray, don't forget) a huge amount of acknowledgement and gratitude for what he achieved at Charlton.

But Curbs was just a mere mortal who got more things right than wrong. And sometimes he did get them wrong.

With the Parker money, he went out and bought Bryan Hughes, El Kak, Rommedahl, Danny Murphy and Fanny Jeffers.
    He had one last hurrah with a fantastic start to that season but it went seriously pearshaped by the time the clocks had changed. Without that start, on subsequent points gained, we could very well have been relegated.

Despite some flashes of effective contribution, all of those 5 players flattered to deceive - and they also showed they didn't have the enthusiasm, backbone and strength of character, compared to the players Curbs previously had a reputation for signing.

We did have the cup run, - Curbs did sign Marcus Bent for £2.5mill, he did put in an offer for JFH in the January and sign a pre-contract agreement for Gibbs - but basically it was a fire fighting exercise and The Valley frequently was like a morgue. Once Curbs had his head turned by the prospect of the England job, that seemed to be it - and he seemed to die on his feet with his appetite for running the club.

Richard Murray was quite right to give him the ultamatum - sign a new contract or leave.

And if he had stayed, and Murray had given him the £11mill transfer pot that he gave Dowie, there's no guarantee that he would have spent money better than the similar amount he previously spent with the Parker money - and maybe some of Curb's transfer targets included a couple of players subsequently signed by Dowie.......?

We will never know.
  • Options
    at least he would have had his own coaching staff...