Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

v Bilbao

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
From OS 0-1 at HT

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited August 2008
    Pards out. If we can't beat the team who finished 11th in La Liga what hope do we have?!
  • Options
    calm down its only half time we need to warm up!!!By january we'll be shxte hot
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It was still 1-0 to Bilbao in injury time, so I'm assuming that's how it finished.

The stiffs/kids lost 2-0 at Aldershot.
  • Options
    The tag at the top confirms we lost 0-1.

No report or anything yet but no doubt something will be posted soon.

I agree with WSS ...... thundering disgrace to be slaughtered 1-0 by an established team in the Spanish top league.
  • Options
    Here's a bunch of results from today's friendly matches.
    Draw what conclusions you will:

Friendly Match
    Barnet 3-2 Watford
    Barnsley 2-0 Chengdu Blades
    Birmingham 1-1 Fulham
    Borussia M'gladbach 4-2 Valencia
    Bradford 1-0 Oldham
    Bromsgrove 0-4 Dag & Red
    Derby 2-2 FC Utrecht
    Hibernian 2-3 Middlesbrough
    Huddersfield 2-1 Sheff Utd
    Leeds 4-1 Dender
    Man Utd 1-0 Espanyol
    Morecambe 2-1 Carlisle
    Northwich 2-2 Bury
    Notts County 2-3 Nottm Forest
    Rangers 0-4 Liverpool
    Reading 1-1 Aston Villa
    Real Madrid 2-1 Hamburg
    Sheff Wed 2-3 Wigan
    Sheffield 0-1 York
    Stockport 2-2 Man City
    Wolverhampton 4-2 Blackburn
  • Options
    I heard on the radio that JT won a penalty, argued the toss over who was going to take it, then smacked it into the post!

Also, apparently tempers were getting a little flared...
  • Options
    Here comes the report from the OS, pretty sharpish, eh Henry ....? ;o)

Rooster pecks Addicks
    Former Spanish international Joseba Etxeberria grabbed the decisive goal as Charlton slipped to a narrow defeat in their final Championship warm-up on Saturday.

But the Addicks were a lick of paint away from holding their high profile Spanish visitors Athletic Club to a draw in a sometimes spiky affair at The Valley.

The man nicknamed 'The Rooster' turned home the winner in the tenth minute, while Jerome Thomas wasted the chance to level four minutes from the break as he fired a penalty against the post.

The Bilbao-based visitors were impressive in the opening period but after their hosts had the temerity to match them after the break, they lost their discipline at the death as substitute Aritz Aduriz was sent off for violent conduct.

The striker lashed out at Jonathan Fortune after the pair tussled two minutes from time and as well as some excellent football there was an equal dose of petulance and finger-waving from the Basque outfit.

Indeed, Probert found himself jabbed in the chest on more than one occasion by some blue-shirted visitors as the La Liga side played the first of two games in England.

For the hosts Jonjo Shelvey again belied his years in the middle of midfield, holding his own against some opponents of very high regard.

Young keeper Rob Elliot made one smart stop, back-tracking to deny the impressive Markel Susaeta but it was the skilful midfielder that drove the ball across for the veteran Etxeberria to divert home.

Fernando Llorente missed a golden chance to double Athletic's lead, while Thomas assumed spot-kick duties after being tripped by Andoni Iraola only to rattle his penalty against the right upright.

Mark Hudson's strength and power were evident at the back for Charlton but his opening Valley afternoon ended prematurely as he left the action midway through the half and immediately had ice applied to his right ankle.

Athletic were a threat on the break in the second half, but despite enjoying far more possession Pardew might have been slightly disappointed that his side did not work keeper Gorka Iraizoz more.

Sub Grant Basey was twice off target and Lloyd Sam saw a sweetly-struck volley charged down, but there was no way through as the Basque side held firm for the win.

In terms of team news there was a Valley debut for summer signing Hudson, who skippered the side out of the tunnel in the SE7 opener.

Keeper Elliot also got the chance to start a senior game for the first time, replacing Nicky Weaver, who has a knee niggle.

Perhaps with an eye on next week's league opener, Pardew opted to field Jose Semedo at right-back with Yassin Moutaouakil suspended for the Swansea City clash.

Kelly Youga was on the opposite flank and Fortune partnered Hudson in the middle of the backline.

Scott Wagstaff and Thomas started out wide with Shelvey and Therry Racon in the middle of the park.

And up front was the flourishing partnership of Andy Gray and Luke Varney.

Athletic, one of just three teams never to be relegated from the Spanish top flight, had one familiar face in their line-up in the shape of skipper Joseba Etxeberria while Fernando Llorente hit 11 La Liga goals last season.

On a muggy afternoon in SE7 the visitors carved out the first chance of the afternoon in the third minute when Susaeta met a driven cross from Javier Casas but turned the ball over the bar.

The midfielder then charged down a wayward clearance from Elliot but Hudson eventually smuggled the ball back to the keeper.

After that shaky moment Elliot proved his worth in the sixth minute, back-tracking to tip over a dipping volley from the Liverpool-linked Javier Martinez.

Carlos Gurpegui was warned by referee Probert after a skirmish with Jerome Thomas but the visitors were in front in the 10th minute.

The lively Susaeta was the architect, sprinting away from Kelly Youga on the right and his dangerous low cross was turned home by a stretching Etxeberria.

Wagstaff spurned the first opening for the hosts five minutes later, hesitating crucially after an initially blocked free-kick from Shelvey was helped back across by Varney.

The winger ought really to have shot first time, but his initial touch took him wide and the ball spun out for a goal-kick.

Elliot made a fine save with his legs to deny Llorente, although the offside flag rendered the contribution academic and midway through the half clever play from Etxeberria teed up Susaeta who whipped a shot narrowly over the bar.

The visitors were enjoying the lion's share of possession, stroking the ball around well but it was Charlton who conjured up their first shot on goal on 27 minutes, Gray testing Iraizoz with an angled drive.

A Susaeta cross just eluded the tall Llorente in the middle after Etxeberria had unlocked the Addicks defence with another cute pass and the striker spurned a golden chance to make it 2-0 seven minutes before the break.

More good play on the right laid the foundations and Llorente took a pass from Susaeta in his stride as the red-shirted rearguard parted.

Elliot was flummoxed as the Spain U21 man produced a delightful dummy but he couldn't supply the finish to match, lifting a shot over the keeper but wide of the right post.

The Addicks looked set to cash in on their reprieve four minutes before the break when they were awarded a penalty.

Thomas had seen his initial cross headed back in to his path and the winger checked in to the box before being tripped by Iraola.

It was a stonewall penalty and Thomas snatched the ball with a purpose before planting it on the whitewash.

Sadly for the hosts, although his shot was well-struck it rattled the right upright and Athletic breathed a sigh of relief.

And the visiting players were far from happy on the stroke of half-time as the impressive Shelvey and Llorente clashed aerially.

Both players received attention while referee Probert was the subject of some jabbing by Etxeberria and some loud protests from others in navy shirts.

It appeared much a do about nothing, and Probert quickly brought proceedings to a close for the opening period.

Sam replaced Wagstaff at the break and two minutes in Varney skipped past his man on the left, pulling the ball back to Thomas whose goalbound prod was blocked by a defender.

Hudson headed a Shelvey corner over with the hosts carrying more of a threat and Aitor Ocio and Gray were lectured by Probert with the Addicks striker indicating he was the victim of an elbow.

Gray was replaced soon after by Moutaouakil and Semedo made way for Basey as Pardew tinkered with his side.

Moutaouakil slotted straight in at right-back while Basey went to the left of midfield with Thomas moving into the hole behind Varney.

Javier Casas crashed a shot into the side-netting on 63 minutes, and seconds later a slip from Fortune let in substitute Aduriz who put the ball wide of the right upright.

A good move from the hosts two minutes later saw Racon release the overlapping Basey on the left and his cross was met fully on the volley by Sam only for an Athletic defender to intervene and send the ball looping behind for a corner.

Worryingly for the hosts Hudson left the action in the 67th minute as Amdy Faye deputised in the centre of defence.

Basey screwed a shot into the side-netting after collecting a Moutaouakil cross and was then struck on the backside by a miss-timed pass from Pardew as the boss booted the ball back in to play.

Josh Wright entered the fray soon afterwards and at the same time as Stuart Fleetwood was unveiled at The Valley for the first time, Ocio was substituted after talking himself in to a booking after a tussle with Thomas.

Basey curled a free-kick over from some 30 yards after Fleetwood's purposeful burst was halted by Fernando Amorebieta 15 minutes from time, and after a batch of penalty-box pinball at the other end Casas fizzed a shot across goal and wide.

Probert and the home fans were beginning to tire of the Spanish side's petulance as the game wore on, and more angry gesturing followed after a visiting defender writhed around on the ground.

And the referee was given little option but to produce a red card for Aduriz two minutes from time, after the striker lashed out at Fortune.

It was an unsavoury end to a game not without it's niggles, and although Charlton are unlikely to come up against a side of this ilk in the Championship this season, Pardew would have taken some positives as the opening league clash looms ever closer.

Charlton: Elliot; Semedo (Basey 59), Youga, Hudson (Faye 57), Fortune; Wagstaff (Sam 46), Shelvey, Racon (Wright 69), J Thomas (Fleetwood 73); Varney, Gray (Moutaouakil 59).

Subs (not used): Christie, Yussuff.

Athletic Club: Iraizoz, Iraola, Casas, Ocio (Aldekoaotalora 73), Amorebieta; Susaeta, Gurpegui (Iturraspe 51), Martinez (Murillo 75), Etxeberria (Lopez 51), Yeste (Gabilondo 84); Llorente (Aduriz 59).

Subs (not used): Lafuente, Lerchundi.

Goals: Etxeberria 10

Booked: Ocio 71 (dissent)

Sent off: Aduriz 88 (violent conduct).

Referee: L Probert

Attendance: 5,621
  • Options
    Looks look it could just be Forch at centreback net week.....:

"Worryingly for the hosts Hudson left the action in the 67th minute as Amdy Faye deputised in the centre of defence."
  • Options
    Same problem as we had all last year. Long ball and the inability to create chances.

Thomas did well, despite missing a penalty.
  • Options
    how did Faye do, anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Faye was poor, though he looked vaguely interested. Hudson had foot injury- blisters or similar. Foot was being taped-up after he was subbed.

Waggy looked out of his depth, replaced by Sam at h/t. Sam/Moot2 combo looked useful down the right. Racon steady rather than dynamic, Shelvey - the new 'JJ'- looks like a must-start. Varney ran his socks off, jury still out on Gray, Fleetwood not on long enough to impact. Youga has played better. Forch/Hudson solid enough.
  • Options
    much different on last season?
  • Options
    Just had a chat with Maglor. Elliott had a good game with one outstanding save. Semedo was apparently comfortable at RB. Youga started well but his confidence went for the chop after the goal. Hudson and Fortune were ok and steady. Rcon and Shelvery were outstanding, but Waggy looked a bit out of his depth. Sam was excellent when he came on and looked lively. Varney and Gray looked ineffective again, and maybe that just a lack of service. Faye didnt impress, but Kev did say it may be that he is ring rusty as its some time since he played competitvely. Wright looked lively when he came on, but Fleetwoods first touch let him down and Kev thinks he will struggle and we both agreed he would benefit from going out on loan down a league like Dickson did last year....which is extremely unlikely given the lack of cover in the squad now. I dont think Ive missed anything out, but Kev did say we looked a much better side in the second half and Bilbao lost there discipline. All in all it sounded like a good workout against much stronger opposition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Same problem as we had all last year. Long ball and the inability to create chances.

Thomas did well, despite missing a penalty.

Really? There was a lot less long balls than last season. I don't mind the longer passes so much from players like Shelvey, defenders looked happy to pass it around and then the full backs or central midfielders take it forward.

Better than last season when we just hoofed it up to Iwelumo and hoped something would happen.
  • Options
    Won't panic about today. Beaten by superior opposition. If they had their shooting boots on we could have been 3-4 down by H/T. Slightly better in 2nd half.

One thing that has really wond me up. Pardew has already stated how important Hudson is going to be for us this year - why the hell did he not go off as soon ashepicked up the knock. He was limping up to H/T and was clearly struggling when he came back out........

Felt sorry for Faye - clearly not fit and asked to play out of position at CB. We may end up having to use him.
  • Options
    I think agianst a team that could more than hold its own in the premiership that wasn't a bad display. There were some quite good passages of play and some nice passes. Keeper looked steady and made a great save to an ofside shot. I will say there were a few times when players made the mistake of trying to take on one player to many instead of doing an easy pass but all in all quite promising. Ps when you read this Jonjo well done we're proper proud of you
  • Options
    Having witnessed that peformance against a half decent a La Liga side, equivalent to an establishd Prem side, I think we did really well particularly 2nd half. I would stick with Racon and Shelvey in the middle next week and rely on Thomas and Sam for the creativity. Our creativity was hampered by more superior defending than we'll witness week in week out in the CCC. Ath Bilb put in some very neat blocks and their defenders read the game well throughout. We did carve out some chances and that bodes well.

I agree that Wagstaff probably needs a few more games at reserve level or out on loan at a League 1 club before he'll be ready. He looked frustrated with himself, but just needs a bit more experience.

Can't wait for next Saturday.
  • Options
    Racon, Shelvey and thomas were plus points, but not impressed by the defence at all nor our strike threat.
  • Options
    We played a team clearly a level above us, but we've aquitted ourselves reasonably well, with a fair sprinkling of younger, inexperienced players.

And without a whole raft of players, including Weaver, Holland, Ambrose, Toddy, Zheng (plus Dickson & McLeod) - who may have been first choice selections if available.

So yep, it wasn't our strongest side.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Pavo[/cite]Having witnessed that peformance against a half decent a La Liga side, equivalent to an establishd Prem side, I think we did really well particularly 2nd half. I would stick with Racon and Shelvey in the middle next week and rely on Thomas and Sam for the creativity. Our creativity was hampered by more superior defending than we'll witness week in week out in the CCC. Ath Bilb put in some very neat blocks and their defenders read the game well throughout. We did carve out some chances and that bodes well.

I agree that Wagstaff probably needs a few more games at reserve level or out on loan at a League 1 club before he'll be ready. He looked frustrated with himself, but just needs a bit more experience.

Can't wait for next Saturday.

Spot on... and I thought Shelvey and Hudson had really good games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    this sounds promising guys.....
  • Options
    Bilbao are at a different stage in their pre-season to us. Our season is just about to start, their's doesn't kick-off for another month.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Bilbao are at a different stage in their pre-season to us. Our season is just about to start, their's doesn't kick-off for another month.

Killjoy! :-)
  • Options
    Its funny how people see things differently eh.

Firstly, (& no I didn't have my JonJo coloured spectacles on) I thought Shelvey more than proved he can hold his own against a team who were without doubt a class above us............even if they reverted to type in the second half & by that I mean dirty tactics & trying to fool the ref. Which give the ref his due, was having none of it. Some of Shelvey's passing was pin point & it still amazes me that he's still only 16! The one thing that does niggle me though, (sorry JonJo) is that he may be lightweight in a tackle & that it'll only take one plonker to ruin his season. Not sure how you sort that out...........maybe that only comes with time.

Youga's confidence nose dived after the goal, much like we've seen before. The guy is great going forward but just leaves too much space to cover when it doesn't go right. Was better second half when Basey came on to support him rather than JT. Basey for me is going to be great, in a Robbo styleeee, go Grant!

Wagstaff, I agree, needs more time.

But the biggest disappointment for me was Elliott. Yes, he made one great save. But his kicking was very poor & he was very very slow in coming off his line & I think that was instrumental in the 'iffy' defending shown sometimes. I really don't think Fortune & Hudson felt enough confidence in him. Which meant Fortune showed his dodgy decision making again. Sorry Rob. I'm just hoping you were just nervous, playing at 'your' Valley infront of your own.

So the keeper situation worries me slightly.

But I had a great day & finished it off nicely with a trip to the O2 to see an awesome Kylie!

Happy Days!
  • Options
    Shelvey still wins a few tackles, he'll get stronger and better in the tackle as he gets older.
  • Options
    Thomas & Sam still lack any threat when going forwards

Sam was doing stepovers near the half way line FFS - someone tell him to run with the ball until he gets near the oppositions penalty box then he can do some tricks, something Joe Cole has now realised.

Thomas ditto, but tries to take on one too many defender, keeps trying to cut in on his right & fails to get to the byeline.

apart from that we have 2 effective wingers.
  • Options
    I thought we stepped it up in the second half and looked a lot better and had Athletic worried hence the tackles and time wasting.

However they could have won with ease had they taken their chances and we didn't get much passing going. We resorted to the diagonal ball over the top to Varney a lot later on.

Kelly and Fortune, got wrong side too often. Hudson and Semedo looked stronger and more in control.

Racon impressed and I'd like to see how he does in the CCC. Not sure if he and Jon Jo is a partnership that will work.

Gray and Varney worked hard and tried to make things happen but it didn't work against a good defence.

Thomas impressed other than with the pen. Playing for place in the side, a new contract or a move? Who knows.

Swansea next. Will come with confidence and teamwork but they were a Div 3 side last year. We will have to pick it up from yesterday and be sharper to win.

If anything I'm less positive having seen the weaknesses in the side exposed by a good Bilbao side than before but if we had lost 1-0 to Spurs (11th in the Prem to Bilbao's 11th in the La Liga) I would see that as a poor result.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I thought we stepped it up in the second half and looked a lot better and had Athletic worried hence the tackles and time wasting.

However they could have won with ease had they taken their chances and we didn't get much passing going. We resorted to the diagonal ball over the top to Varney a lot later on.

Kelly and Fortune, got wrong side too often. Hudson and Semedo looked stronger and more in control.

Racon impressed and I'd like to see how he does in the CCC. Not sure if he and Jon Jo is a partnership that will work.

Gray and Varney worked hard and tried to make things happen but it didn't work against a good defence.

Thomas impressed other than with the pen. Playing for place in the side, a new contract or a move? Who knows.

Swansea next. Will come with confidence and teamwork but they were a Div 3 side last year. We will have to pick it up from yesterday and be sharper to win.

If anything I'm less positive having seen the weaknesses in the side exposed by a good Bilbao side than before but if we had lost 1-0 to Spurs (11th in the Prem to Bilbao's 11th in the La Liga) I would see that as a poor result.[/quote]

Losing to Spurs would always be a bad result.

Likewise I was worried by seeing the same old problems recurring. Sloppy defending and that elusive final ball.

But the 2nd half was encouraging, particularly with the midfield looking stronger than I expected.
  • Options
    I agree with much of that Henry, but it seemed to be pretty much a new, younger side out there than last year. The pretension of a Prem team in waiting seemed to be absent, and for me there was a sense of freshness about our play, but I think they will need some time and careful organising to bed in as a real threat to other teams. I think the potential IS there for us to have a better season.
    We need some work at the back, because they should have let in at least 3, but Bilbao looked a fair outfit to me, and they were organised enough to keep us out fairly comfortably until we started to play better football.
    On the plus side Jonjo looks a real prospect, Varney ran his socks off, is a good and willing target and outlet up front, and makes things happen. Those two would be first on my team sheet. JT looks fitter and more up for it. He needs a few goals. We are lively down the left. Personally didn't see that down the right till Moo2 came on.
    On the less plus side, both Youga and Fortune looked a little vulnerable at times. Grant looked a good alternative.
    Still not sure about Gray. He holds it up and lays it off well enough, but I think we really need someone who has an eye for the net. Dickson maybe?
    It was only a friendly and next week begins the real test, but I feel much more positive after seeing that.
    I think it is now down to Pards to get the best out of them.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No shame losing against Athletico they are no mugs you can easily see that they are quality. Our boys put up a good show considering what the board has given to Alan.. And losing to Tottenham 1 - 0 wouldnt be any shame in it. After all we are a mid ccc side as we have been told by all the management.

Elliot didnt come of his line enough. Hope Weaver is back next week.

Youga looks good going forward at fault with the goal by going into an area where Thomas should of dealt with the ball. Looked better when Basey was in front of him.

Fortune same old Jon prone to the odd error. Though played against a very lanky striker with every dirty trick up his sleeve.

Hudson rock hard centre half will clear anything that comes at him. Good captain material.

Semedo just was steady as right back no attacking from him.

Thomas got the penalty and shouldnt of taken it. Would be a threat in the CCC if he keeps up the work rate. Though doesnt come back and defend enough.

Racon neat and tidy not much tackle in him. No through balls due to a diciplined Atheltico side.

Shelvey a star in the making great passing when he gets the ball he looks around him and passes straight away. Can take a mean corner with no one attacking it again !!. Tackling could be improved but hey he is only 16. Reminds me of a young Lee Bowyer.

Wagstaff miles away at the mo. Needs a bit more meat on him.

Gray didnt do much due to lack of service. I hope it was because of a good opposition.

Varney ran around alot most affective in the 2nd half when he came out to the left wing. Should be goal poaching in the middle though reminds me of Gary Nelson.

Sam no end product. Lost the ball and nearly cost a goal after soding around with it.

Fleetwood a bit to late in the game to have any effect.

Basey i like this guy he can also pass and take a free kick would like to see him in the middle alongside Shelvey next week.

Faye dosing around. Need another centre back.

Motokil looked good especially going forward. Better winger than our wingers !!

My team for next Sat would be :-
    Weaver
    Semedo Hudson Another centre back Youga
    Thomas Basey Shelvey Etherington
    Varney Gray.