Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Thomas to Pompey loan with view to 2mil move

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2008/08/15/charlton-s-jerome-thomas-joins-portsmouth-on-loan-115875-20697509/

Comments

• Options
    Good riddance to bad rubbish...
  • Options
    aint he in the last yr of his contract???
  • Options
    can't let thomas go, what will i write (very badly) about in the Annorak ?
  • Options
    as predicted by me ten hours ago !!
  • Options
    'aint he in the last yr of his contract???'

yes he is. Will be interesting to see how this is gonna work as they can get him for nought next June. Maybe there is a large loan fee involved that entices them to sign him permanently.
  • Options
    Glad he's gone, but concerned that it's a loan so we presumably haven't got any cash to strengthen the squad especially at centre half.
  • Options
    perhaps Cranie is coming the other way.
  • Options
    great news he was never gonna perform for us consistently.
  • Options
    as he is on the last year of his contract this is either speculation or not the whole deal.
  • Options
    Confirmed on Pompey OS.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and on sky sports, any news on how a perm deal would work?
  • Options
    This deal seems to be the same as Marcus Bents last year. A loan fee and a set fee at the end if they decide to sign him.
  • Options
    "This deal seems to be the same as Marcus Bents last year. A loan fee and a set fee at the end if they decide to sign him."

Marcus Bent wasn't out of contract though. If he plays on loan all year he's then out of contract next summer, so why would they then pay a fee to sign him. They could just sign him on a free?
  • Options
    Frustrating as he is, he is one of the only players we have who can receive the ball under pressure, keep it and make use of it. But I agree that the final product was never there and he's had his chances.
  • Options
    'Marcus Bent wasn't out of contract though. If he plays on loan all year he's then out of contract next summer, so why would they then pay a fee to sign him. They could just sign him on a free?'

I assume that we have done something to guard against this ie a large loan fee if he isn't signed permanently, signed permanently no loan fee. We wouldn't take a risk of using him for nought with the only saving being his wages. Either that or a similar deal is in place for Cranie, yet to be announced.
  • Options
    Chris i would hope that we have a clause that Pompey would pay us a fee should they take him on a perm deal, despite him being out of contract. Either that or we recieved a healthy loan fee.
  • Options
    na its a free transfer by another name to get his wages off the book..
  • Options
    We now have IMHO no players of premiership quality assuming ZZ leaves too.
  • Options
    Can't believe our finances can be so bad.
    I know Thomas didn't always produce the goods but he was quality on his day.
    Definately the Charlton sale going on at the moment......everything must go!!
  • Options
    I don't know why people are surprised that we have no players that are premier league quality, we are a championship team. We have a good bunch left I reckon, hard working, we will be mustard this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    our OS site says season long loan, no mention of permanent deal except it states Peter Storrie says JT can earn himself a permanent contract so, as Ras suggests, loan fee and wages off the books but effectively a free transfer.
  • Options
    I know are hands are tied but I am really dissapointed in this.

Inconsistent, not the greatest crosser, but quality in this division.

Oh well, Lloyd Sam....
  • Options
    I think that is spot on CHG. As well as his poor performances, i thought Thomas was a poor role model off the pitch, with his partying lifestyle, especially when u consider the amount of young players we have.
  • Options
    if pardew said only two weeks ago we are thin on the ground in terms of players we are minus one after this week,in terms of Thomas I am glad he has gone his attitude stank and I think he needed the move to get his career back on track
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Was he really quality in this division? Last season he didn't score a single goal (can anybody find any assist stats, I'm sure they're equally low). In his charlton career he's only scored 7 in 117 appearances, I'm pretty sure we've had centre backs with goals per game stats better than that.

In fact I just checked soccerbase.com and Jerome has averaged a goal every 12.5 games over his career. A certain Phil Chapple averaged a goal every 10 games
  • Options
    better late than never
  • Options
    I'm more pi$$ed off than I thought I would be by this news, admittedly JT was so inconsistent but I'm now worried what the future holds and how many more are off before the end of August.
  • Options
    more worrying is we have no proven wideman (let alone men)

:(
  • Options
    Great news?

What? That we can barely put 11 players out? How can losing every player with any quality be great news?
  • Options
    Do we have anybody better to play there?

He was probably one of the only players on our team that could keep the ball, turn and push us right up the pitch. It's a shame he's leaving.