Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jerome Thomas move made permanent

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
From Pompey official site :

Jerome Thomas’ loan move to Pompey has been made permanent.

The winger has signed a one-year contract with the Blues.

Pompey will pay Charlton a small fee if Thomas plays a certain number of games.

The deal frees up Pompey to bring in another loan signing before the transfer window if needed.

Premier League clubs may have a maximum of two loan signings at a time.

With Ben Sahar already on loan from Chelsea, Pompey had filled their quota when Thomas arrived on loan from Charlton last week.

Blues chief executive Peter Storrie said: “It’s a simple conversion from a loan deal to a permanent contract for a year. It frees up a loan space for us.

“Jerome could have been recalled by Charlton in January under the terms of his loan, but that’s no longer a factor now his deal has been made permanent.”

The 25-year-old made his Pompey debut when coming off the bench in the 4-0 opening-day defeat at Chelsea on Sunday.

The former England under-21 international made 119 appearances for Charlton, scoring seven goals, after signing from Arsenal in 2004.

Comments

• A small fee? They were obviously desperate to get another loan signing in, surely could've haggled them a bit?
  • What happens if Thomas plays like he played for us towards the end of his time at the Valley- can't see Pompey signing him up on along term contract. Think he may not have thought this one through; players normally only sign aone-year deal towards the end of their careers.
  • Something coming the other way in return, I'm suspecting.
  • don't get me wrong, I thought Thomas was a useless tosser, but to give him away in exchange for a small fee if he makes the required number of appearances looks on the face of it pretty poor business. Okay wages are off the books but surely he was worth a fee. Even that useless twat Bent netted us a substantial loan fee. Feel we have sold ourselves short on this one. As for Thomas himself, he may have signed for a year on the promise of a longer contract if he performs. If not the worst that will happen is he'll drop back into the Championship on a two/three year deal. A gamble woprth taking imo.
  • edited August 2008
    No real downside for Thomas as far as I can see. He would have been out of contract at the end of the season anyway but this way he has the chance of a longer deal with Pompey if he gets his head right and plays the way that he can but he'll also be in the premiership shop window for a season.

As for the fee, we were never likely to get much anyway because of his contract situation. Small fee now bugger all in the summer.
  • Cranie?
    http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/England39s-Cranie-out-to-earn.4406938.jp
  • Small fee on top of the loan fee already paid.

We've done ok out of this I think
  • havn't seen a loan fee mentioned anywhere. Hope we got one but not so sure we did. If so perhaps it would benefit the Club to mention it, even if not the amount, as I've already had a couple of mates on saying what the feck is going on when we are selling our (alledgedly) better players for small fees and it looks like a case of if it moves flog it.
  • i think you are jumping the gun a little here Large. On the face of it, it doesn't look great. But as they say, its all in the detail. Indications i've heard from the south coast are that we've come out of this deal probably better than we originally intended. Bear in mind all aspects of it may not of been announced / agreed yet.
  • edited August 2008
    We've got an under acheiving player (who I assume is still on a premiership contract)off our books and got some cash, which no matter how small, is still more than we would have got in the summer.

Add that amount to the wages saved and I don't think that we have done too badly for a player who we bought for £100k.
  • Sponsored links:

• Spill the beans AFKA!
  • Look at it first of all from Charlton's point of view:

They had a player on the books who refused to sign a new contract and would be a free agent in less than a year.
    His attitude had been at times, shall we say, suspect.

On the park, the player had been woefully inconsistant and at best was a 'luxury' player.

He was one of the highest paid players at the club and his wages would have been regarded by the Board as an extravagence in the present financial climate.

As Rothko says, a loan fee would already have been received initially - so add on appearance increments, the fees are consistant with selling a player within his last year of contract who had not been particularly sought after by other clubs.

As Salad says, Harry now owes us one ...... so it seems logical there's a player coming this way soon from Portsmouth.

It also frees up budget for new signings - or at least a small warchest for January signings, if needed..
  • I always liked Thomas. I was never sure why. I think it was because every now and again he looked magic. Albeit rarely. But my first impression upon seeing the headline was that it was very good news. We're slowly removing the players that arent good enough or consistant enough for our needs in this division while securing our future at the same time. Hopefully once ZZ goes (and I do hope he goes) we'll be in a position where we're financially secure and even have a little spending money come January and we can start looking forward.
  • edited August 2008
    His main problem as far as I could tell was that he looked a fancy Dan in the middle third...stepovers and cutting inside etc...but it was in the final third that he was pants...little or no end product....I remember having a gasp of amazment in the dreadful Yeovil game when he actualy stuck a cross into the box....I hadn't seen him do that in months....and as for actually going to the by-line and crossing..... well....I'm pushed hard to say I've 'ever' actually seen him do it...does anyone else remember him ever doing that?!
  • I guess we have saved another Million pounds, so surely with all the goings of late we must have a couple of quid to spend on a much needed RB and CB? We needed to make essential cutbacks, but I do feel that we are now a very seriously weakened side.....I cant help it...Ive fought it off all week, but Im begining to feel really anxious about our ability to even maintain a respectable mid table position. This is a far gloomier situation than was painted at City Addicks.
  • a couple of loanees to bolster the ranks and then we can look forward to a seeing a handful of young players who've come through the ranks getting their chances this season, but promotion might have to wait another year!
  • I think this board must have the words "no end product" posted on it around 7 million times.
  • Still remember him when he played his first game for us. He was like a rabbit caught in the headlamps, Chrissie Powell making himself available for 3 yrd passes and willing him to run with it. Shame he became such a tosser.
  • Just to remind yourselves of the £5 million player he could have been watch the first half of the West Ham 4-0 game, if only he could have turned it on in 20% of the games he played, the player has talent but attitude stinks, this is a good deal for us, unfortunately.
  • Couldn't care less about the financial side of the deal. Just glad to see the back of him.

Never have I felt so annoyed at seeing a player in the red shirt than that tosser.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suspect that AFKA and Rothko are right and we have already secured a deal on the loan which was acceptable to us financially, i.e. there was money attached. After all he had a year to go on his contract and thus, being on loan for a year could have meant he walked back into Pompey next year for nix. It is a worrying time for fans at the moment with players leaving left right and centre. On the other hand the people running our club are successful buisness men and I can't believe for one second that they have not stuck a decent deal with Pompey one way or another. Remember as well that if JT was on a £1M per annum contract, assuming we replace him in some way or another, we are unlikely to be offering much more than £250K per annum making an immediate saving of £750K.
  • Can't disagree with the above, to me it just another example of bad communication with the supporters. Chappell needs to come out and say something, although last time he did that it was total gibberish and has been proven to be bolox. I wasn't at City Addicks or the Bloggers meeting but knew people that were - and this situation we find ourselves in, contrary to some belief, was not relayed to fans at those forums.
  • Oh yes, a great deal for Charlton!

Have we managed to sell every semblance of quality on the squad now, or is there anyone else lurking that we can flog for a small fee? If so that would be great for the club too, I expect.
  • the only surprise left is that we have yet to use ebay so as to avoid paying agents fees.
  • Without going too over-the-top, I think Thomas was the embodiment of all that's been wrong with Charlton Athletic over the last few years.
    IMO the swaggering 'we're better than this' attitude hasn't just been the mantra of players like JT and Marcus Bunk - I think it's been a sentiment echoed on the terraces and maybe even in the boardroom.
    We may not have a great season this year, but hopefully we'll have some hungry players who can play with a bt of desire.
    Who knows where that might take us in the future? - my guess would be forward.
    Good luck to Thomas but I certainly won't be shedding a tear that he's gone - nor that we didn't get a big fee for him.
    One more big time Charlie out of the club and off the wage bill.
    Good enough for me.
  • I would guess that the only players left on "premiership" wages are Ambrose, Fortune, Todorov, Weaver and ZZ. Hudson may well be on a decent wage otherwise why leave a club that narrowly missed the play-offs for a mid to lower table side like us?

ZZ and maybe Fortune will go leaving Ambrose, Toddy and Weaver as our "quality" players and there are questions about the fitness of two of those.

On the other hand a "spine" of Weaver, Hudson, Ambrose and Toddy looks good on paper if not the pitch!
  • no way is Toddy on PL wages. His deal was renewed in the summer and he was hardly in a position of strength seeing as he was out injured last season, his previous injury record, and his age. Weaver signed after we went down so I don't see him as being on PL wages either. Ambrose is probably the highest earner left imo.
  • you are probably right, if he wasn't injured I wonder if we might've sold Ambrose as well?
    Fortunately he is still here and he has been astronomically more effective than Thomas, and now his hip is hopefully sorted out we might even see higher levels of performance from him, let's hope so.

Fortune has only ever been a cover player really and hopefully isn't on too much, although I was hoping he'd try to prove himself somewhere else this season.
  • Take the point re Toddy but I reckon the main reason Weaver signed was because we were "going for it" last season and therefore perhaps paid over the odds wages wise.

As an additional thought Gray might be on a good screw too given that we were desperate and it was january when he signed.
  • We turned down £1.5M in the Summer for Ambrose from Derby because of his injury !