Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life Hall of Shame: The 80s

edited August 2008 in General Charlton
So who were the worst players of the 80s - think there could be a few for this one.

My nominations are:

Ruben Agboola - we should be banned from loaning Southampton defenders
Jim Stannard - One game 4 goals conceded
Carl Leaburn - obviously
Kenny Achampong - great song, crap player!
Steve Dowman - Poorest of some very poor early 80s defenders

Comments

• Options
    Ralph Milne
  • Options
    I disagree about Leaburn...
  • Options
    leaburn - you are having a laugh mate he's a legend.
  • Options
    Dave Mehmet!
  • Options
    Ralph Milne, without a doubt
  • Options
    Andy Peake (sorry mate)
  • Options
    Midfielder David Campbell (the 2nd one, signed from Forest)

Centre half Peter Shaw with the expanding waistline.

Paul Curtis at fullback

Not fair to include Carlo in the 80's - he was only a kid thrust into the top league before he was ready.
  • Options
    "Paul Curtis at fullback"

Sorry, he can't be included after his late winner at Craven Cottage (our first away victory for over a year)
  • Options
    Oh God, please no - not the Leaburn debate again.

Next thing you know someone will be asking whether it's right that Valley Gold members get priority tickets!
  • Options
    BTW - do you think it's right that Valley Gold members get priority tickets ....?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yeah but Off it is it right
  • Options
    Absolutely - you get what it says on the application form. No other reason for stumping up £10 a month is there - would be financially better of spunking a tenner on scratch cards!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Absolutely - you get what it says on the application form. No other reason for stumping up £10 a month is there - would be financially better of spunking a tenner on scratch cards![/quote]

Ahem.......I don't think so...!
  • Options
    Terry Bullivant for me.

He cost big money by our standards yet was totally useless in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Midfielder David Campbell (the 2nd one, signed from Forest)

Centre half Peter Shaw with the expanding waistline.

Paul Curtis at fullback

Not fair to include Carlo in the 80's - he was only a kid thrust into the top league before he was ready.

David Campbell 2's winning goal at Tottenham gets him out of gaol for me...
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Andy Peake (sorry mate)[/quote]

I have to say I always liked Andy... and he scored the odd goal from midfield... im not sure he should be in here...

what do you reckon???
  • Options
    Peakey had his moments (at Portman Road in particular I seem to recall) and I can't fault him for effort but he was excruciatingly slow and gave the ball away so often.
  • Options
    Andy Jones, record £350,000 signing from Third Division Wrexham
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Andy Jones, record £350,000 signing from Third Division Wrexham[/quote]

thought we got the chubby donkey from port vale! paul miller has got to have been one of the worse (apart from the chelsea away goal)
  • Options
    Well spotted, ads .........you're right. Andy Jones from Port Vale.
    Got confused with the Welsh connection.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    a bit of track but does anyone remember which CAFC player was sent off for spitting at another player, think it was 88/89 season aginst newcastle at sellout park
  • Options
    Paul Miller
  • Options
    Joe McLaughlin wasn't too great either as I recall, especially considering what we paid for him
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Andy Peake (sorry mate)[/quote]

Snap.

I remember big rows between the pro and anti Peake brigades on the Sainsbury's terrace at Sellout. I was firmly in the latter camp.
  • Options
    Leaburn = Charlton Legend Fact Locked on - end of discussion!

Agree that it has to be Ralphy Milne - how did he end up at Man Utd?
  • Options
    David Campbell - i know he scored the winner against the spuds at WHL which was a great day out before during and after but he was AWFUL how on earth he was an International , albeit NI, I 'll never know.

[cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Andy Jones, record £350,000 signing from Third Division Wrexham

Port Vale we bought him from didn't we
  • Options
    Steve Dowman and Peter Mountfield
  • Options
    David campbell without a doubt and he was an international too boot. Carl leaburn is a legend , it was not his goal scoring (which was poor) it was his goal assists , plus i see him score at villa park , always remember mike flannagan pushing him over to the charlton fans at the final whistle to milk the laughter and applause.
    P.S Ralph Milne another legend - His big , his fat , his arse is on the ground ralphie milne , ralphie milne.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Andy jones miss from 2 yards at oldham?
  • Options
    Paul Bacon , will not add to that.