Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joey Barton

Banned for six games with another 6 suspended. Compared with what Ferdinand got for missing drugs test is this another FA cop out?

Comments

• Options
    Personally think it is nonsense they have had a hearing. 15 months ago the attack happened it should have been dealt with then

yeah the penalty is not great agreed.
  • Options
    what was cantona's ban for doing the palace fan??
  • Options
    "what was cantona's ban for doing the palace fan??"

Far, far too long!
  • Options
    I think the FA are right to punish him.

If one of your employees committed a crime which impacted on their ability to do their job would you then say "well, they have been punished by the courts so that's enough" or would you sack or discipline them.

Now that the courts have acted the FA, rarely for them IMHO, are right to punish him in the same way as any other player.

As a point of comparison Thatcher was banned for 8 games for his assault on Mendes.
  • Options
    I agree with Ledge that it should've been dealt with ages ago when he was a City player. As now Newcastle are getting the repercussions of something that occurred with another club.
    Also why does something that happened in training result in an actual proper game ban? Thatcher's incident was on an opponent in a proper game. This was a training incident and we're led to believe that rucks occur in training all the time.
    Can anyone remember if John Hartson got banned for booting eyal berkovic in the head, or did this only come about because Dabo complained about Barton?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]I agree with Ledge that it should've been dealt with ages ago when he was a City player. As now Newcastle are getting the repercussions of something that occurred with another club.
    Also why does something that happened in training result in an actual proper game ban? Thatcher's incident was on an opponent in a proper game. This was a training incident and we're led to believe that rucks occur in training all the time.
    Can anyone remember if John Hartson got banned for booting eyal berkovic in the head, or did this only come about because Dabo complained about Barton?

It doesn't seem right that NUFC suffer for something that happened at City but NUFC bought him knowing that this was hanging over him just as we did with Thatcher's suspended ban
  • Options
    Should have been banned for the season minimum in my opinion. Why football clubs continue to offer sanctuary to him when footballers have a duty to act as role models for the fans especially kids beats me?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Should have been banned for the season minimum in my opinion. Why football clubs continue to offer sanctuary to him when footballers have a duty to act as role models for the fans especially kids beats me?

True and the irony is if he'd been banned for a season when it actually happened, he'd be free to play now.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Should have been banned for the season minimum in my opinion. Why football clubs continue to offer sanctuary to him when footballers have a duty to act as role models for the fans especially kids beats me?

Because he is a good player.

Similarly Roy Keane got away with the tackle on Alf Inge-Haaland annd even criticised Fergie publically without much sanction from Man U. However when his legs went, Fergie wasn't quite as forgiving of his outbursts.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Personally think it is nonsense they have had a hearing. 15 months ago the attack happened it should have been dealt with then

yeah the penalty is not great agreed.

FA couldn't do anything until after Bartons court case had finished. Hence why it's taken so long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i agree with Ledge as well.Sure i heard on the radio this morning that barton got done going through a red light on the way to see his probation officer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]"what was cantona's ban for doing the palace fan??"

Far, far too long!

lol
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Because he is a good player.

Similarly Roy Keane got away with the tackle on Alf Inge-Haaland annd even criticised Fergie publically without much sanction from Man U. However when his legs went, Fergie wasn't quite as forgiving of his outbursts.

This is slightly different. This is the player who stamped a cigar out in another players eye, was convicted of assault in the high street and also of assaulting another player during training for which he has now had his ban/fine. I'm all for rehabilitation but to me, he had more than one chance and he's muffed them. Keanes misdemeanors were on the pitch ones, other than his fabled bust up with Thick Mick.
  • Options
    Personally I don't think that stubbing a cigar out in someones eye etc will lead to anyone doing the same because Barton is a "role model", unless they were the kind of person who would do it anyway.

I think role models are your parents and your piers, even a young child would have to be pretty stupid in the first place to want to copy someone so villified who has done time for his misdemeanours.

I think the punishment is about right, and as BigRedEvil says, the FA could not act until the whole court case thing was out of the way.

Regarding the comparison with Ferdinand, I think the FA would be far more concerned with keeping Man Utd onside than Newcastle as that club is far more important to them in keeping the cash registers ticking over with foreign TV rights money than Newcastle are.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think the FA are right to punish him.

If one of your employees committed a crime which impacted on their ability to do their job would you then say "well, they have been punished by the courts so that's enough" or would you sack or discipline them.

Now that the courts have acted the FA, rarely for them IMHO, are right to punish him in the same way as any other player.

As a point of comparison Thatcher was banned for 8 games for his assault on Mendes.

But barton is not an employee of the FA. Didn't the Club discipline him, so the Courts, His Club and the FA have all punished him. If Man City did not then thats his employers choice.
  • Options
    I thought he was fined a months wages by City at the time and transferred out to the barcodes?
  • Options
    Suspended by Newcastle until further notice. Good to see he's learnt from his (many) past mistakes and is getting his head down and earning his wages!!
  • Options
    What's he done now?
  • Options
    should really be looking at a life ban now, he just cant control himself, how many times have we seen him on sky sports or match of the day "Err ive really learnt me lesson this time i just wana play football.." after what he did to the yts at man city he should NEVER have been given a chance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Suspended by Newcastle until further notice. Good to see he's learnt from his (many) past mistakes and is getting his head down and earning his wages!!

If NCFC go down it will suit them to have a reason to dump Barton and his rumoured £60k pw wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]should really be looking at a life ban now, he just cant control himself, how many times have we seen him on sky sports or match of the day "Err ive really learnt me lesson this time i just wana play football.." after what he did to the yts at man city he should NEVER have been given a chance.

It was a bad tackle but stevie G gets away with similar all the time.

Not really worth a life time ban even if he has previous
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]What's he done now?

Had a row with Shearer. Not the most sensible thing to do in Newcastle.

"The pair went head to head and had to be pulled apart just as they were about to come to blows. A Newcastle insider said: It was unbelievable. They were like two stags.
    Shearer told Barton he had made a mistake putting him back in the team, that he thought Barton was good enough to do it but he had shown he wasn’t.
    Joey shouted at Alan that he was the best player at the club, which was why he had to play him. Alan said he wasn’t, called him s*** and Joey replied that he was a s*** manager with s*** tactics.
    At that point, it looked like they were going to have a full-scale brawl and had to be dragged apart."
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not really worth a life time ban even if he has previous

putting a cigar out in the eye of a yts H.. at a football event. how many chances to give you someone? a thug is a thug and if he wasnt earning 30k plus a week in the prem he would be a proper scally doing bird. Stevie G has calmed down a hell of a lot cant remeber the last really bad tackle he made, most of stevies 'incidents' happen on the pitch apart from the bar scuffle last year, paul scholes is a bad tackler but impecable of the pitch.. you only have to look into this blokes eyes and you can see he has serious problems, still would have him in my xi tho...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedArmySE7[/cite]What's he done now?

Had a row with Shearer. Not the most sensible thing to do in Newcastle.

"The pair went head to head and had to be pulled apart just as they were about to come to blows. A Newcastle insider said: It was unbelievable. They were like two stags.
    Shearer told Barton he had made a mistake putting him back in the team, that he thought Barton was good enough to do it but he had shown he wasn’t.
    Joey shouted at Alan that he was the best player at the club, which was why he had to play him. Alan said he wasn’t, called him s*** and Joey replied that he was a s*** manager with s*** tactics.
    At that point, it looked like they were going to have a full-scale brawl and had to be dragged apart."

Shearer vs Barton? I very much doubt that Barton would come out of that one very well at all.
  • Options
    He's right about Shearer though. I'd have been tempted to add "what are you complaining about? It's not like I kicked him in the head!" if it was me he was slagging off for on pitch conduct.
  • Options
    Only one way to settle it FIGHT

I get a feeling it'd be two punches and an elbow from shearer and night night pikey barton!
  • Options
    [quote] Shearer vs Barton?l[/quote]

With Hatton taking on the winner??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]should really be looking at a life ban now, he just cant control himself, how many times have we seen him on sky sports or match of the day "Err ive really learnt me lesson this time i just wana play football.." after what he did to the yts at man city he should NEVER have been given a chance.

It was a bad tackle but stevie G gets away with similar all the time.

Not really worth a life time ban even if he has previous
    [cite]Posted By: adamtheaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Not really worth a life time ban even if he has previous

putting a cigar out in the eye of a yts H.. at a football event. how many chances to give you someone? a thug is a thug and if he wasnt earning 30k plus a week in the prem he would be a proper scally doing bird. Stevie G has calmed down a hell of a lot cant remeber the last really bad tackle he made, most of stevies 'incidents' happen on the pitch apart from the bar scuffle last year, paul scholes is a bad tackler but impecable of the pitch.. you only have to look into this blokes eyes and you can see he has serious problems, still would have him in my xi tho...

Have to agree with adam here. Lots of footballers go through their careers with a reputation for making wreckless tackles. Barton is different. He is a true piece of work off the pitch too. Football or indeed society doesn`t need people like him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Suspended by Newcastle until further notice. Good to see he's learnt from his (many) past mistakes and is getting his head down and earning his wages!!

If NCFC go down it will suit them to have a reason to dump Barton and his rumoured £60k pw wages.

What's Norwich City got to do with it ? :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cafckev[/cite]
    Shearer vs Barton?l

With Hatton taking on the winner??

What with one punching with his opponent on the floor and the other for deliberate use of the elbows, I'd go for a double disqualification :)