Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joey Barton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Barton will always be a thug on or of the pitch, he's already proved he either can't or doesn't want to change.
  • Options
    The bottom line is that Barton is unable to curb his violent tendancies. I cannot see him changing anytime soon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]The bottom line is that Barton is unable to curb his violent tendancies. I cannot see him changing anytime soon.

Exactly, and it's not as though he's a teenager either, he's nearly 27, he should have grown up by now.
    Assaulted a Man City youth player, assaulted that kid in Liverpool town centre, assaulted Dabo, he'll never learn. Sadly though because he's a decent player on his day, there will always be one more club willing to take a chance on him.
  • Options
    Roy Keane made a career of it! Yet he's lauded as one of the 'greats'. Just thought i'd mention it!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Roy Keane made a career of it! Yet he's lauded as one of the 'greats'. Just thought i'd mention it!

Roy Keane had his ugly moments on the pitch but was not a thug off it !
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]Roy Keane made a career of it! Yet he's lauded as one of the 'greats'. Just thought i'd mention it!

But he won dozens of medals...

Barton has got some talent, which is why a Premiership team will take a chance on him when Newcastle offload him this summer, but there's something in his psyche that is disturbing. If it wasn't for his footballing ability he'd have an ASBO season ticket by now.
  • Options
    None quite as ugly as standing over Alf I Haaland (spelling) reminding him why!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]None quite as ugly as standing over Alf I Haaland (spelling) reminding him why!

Would you really put Roy Keane in the same bracket as Barton ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Daggs[/cite]None quite as ugly as standing over Alf I Haaland (spelling) reminding him why!

Would you really put Roy Keane in the same bracket as Barton ?

I think it's fair to say that they are cut from the same cloth tempermentally, Keane learnt to restrain himself off the pitch though.
  • Options
    You have to be some kind of real nutter imho to stub a cigar out in someones eye. I would have banned him for life for that alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JWADDICK[/cite]Banned for six games with another 6 suspended. Compared with what Ferdinand got for missing drugs test is this another FA cop out?

going right back to the start of this thread... that punishment was pretty lenient, i think. Dabo's face was a mess and he was knocked unconcious. Pepe got a 10 game ban in a comparable incident, where he completely lost it. Both of them were nothing to do with football they were just plain assult.

Ridiculously with this latest incident the tackle wasn't that bad. It was a sending off but it wasn't that bad. But he's so completely unable to keep control that it escalates into this. He must know his reputation and that he is going to be under massive scrutiny, but he is totally incapable of keeping his head.

He's so self-destructive i don't know whether we're meant to feel sorry for him.

In the NFL the Personal Conduct Code gives them a lot more power to punish players who have damaged the image of the league through off-field actions. They don't have to wait until a court case is over but can make a decision themselves at the time, and you don't even have to be found guilty of a crime if your behaviour was still deemed unacceptable and damaging by the league. They also take into account if an individual has repeatedly broken the code. Their punishments also seem to be tougher, whereas the PL, IMO, seem to punish players with no consistency or lightly.

The other side of the Personal Conduct Code is that clubs have to help the players through education programmes, briefings about the law, counselling and treatment opportunities for anyone who breaks the rules etc.

If you do something bad enough then they won't even let you back in the league. This was all in response to the bad image the league was getting. All this may seem harsh but their view is that it's not just about how good you are at sport it's whether you are a decent human being.
  • Options
    If Barton gets another club it just goes to show how greedy and self interested football and particular the prem has become. How very sad and pathetic.
  • Options
    You can't compare Keane and Barton. Off the pitch Keane is a family man, never in the papers, all he does is seemingly walk his dog.
    Compare that with Barton assaulting team mates on more than 1 occasion and kicking the sh*t out of some kid in a town centre. Barton has problems and if he wasn't a footballer would probably be in prison with his brother.