Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading goal at Watford

I would be interested to hear opinions of the goal that never was today. Sounds incredible that it was given.

Comments

• Options
    what happened?
  • Options
    Something along the lines of the ball hit the side netting and the linesman gave a goal ,Chris Kamara made it sound alot more complicated.
  • Options
    From BBC:

Reading's opener, which has been officially recorded as an own goal by Eustace, will go down as one of the strangest goals ever.

Stephen Hunt whipped in a corner which was contested by Noel Hunt and Eustace at the near post.

The ball bounced over the line - four yards wide of the goal - before being hooked back into play by Noel Hunt.

Reading's Andre Bikey headed back towards goal, where keeper Scott Loach made a save, but the linesman had already flagged - for a goal.

And referee Stuart Attwell gave the goal to total bemusement around the stadium.
  • Options
    Meet Scott last year on holiday top lad.
  • Options
    I seem to remember something like that happening years ago in the late 60's early 70's. Can't remember who was playing.
  • Options
    Doesn't surprise me. I've given up complaining about the quality of the officials these days. Game in game out they are poor to say the least.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I seem to remember something like that happening years ago in the late 60's early 70's. Can't remember who was playing.

You're probably referring to Alan Hudson's 'goal' against Ipswich, some time in the early seventies. The ball went narrowly past the post and hit the stanchion at the back, rebounded onto the pitch and the ref gave a goal.

I was at the game (went to quite a lot of Chelsea games around that time with a next door neighbour, after the Charlton supporting neighbour that introduced me to The Valley had moved). I was standing at the wrong side of the goal and therefore didn't see that it had missed. Remember seeing it in slow-motion on TV though.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I seem to remember something like that happening years ago in the late 60's early 70's. Can't remember who was playing.[/quote]

I seem to remember also Vince Hilaire scoring a goal for Palace that hit a stanchion on the inside of the goal, it then bounced back into play and the referee either waved play on or gave a goal kick, but didn't award a goal.
  • Options
    From what I saw of it, no one even appealed - the ball was flying around the box and the ref noticed that the lino had given a goal and then gave it himself. Normally the linos don't give a verdict on fouls 3 inches in front of them, this bloke must have had a vivid imagination.

Charlton had one against Oldham about 1973, Peter Hunt I think, hit the advertising boards with a shot and it bounced back into play and the ref gave a goal. That of course was absolutely legal and correct.
  • Options
    lino has said it was an optical illusion

he would have been better volunteering for bbc's Merlin last nite

how can we say there is no need for tv replays in situations like this unfortunatly for the lino he should now be demoted to sunday park footie
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    must admit to really disliking Thierry Henry but on soccer am yesterday he said there should be more officials , as he pointed out "how can the linesman tell if someone is offside when the ball is played as he can't look at two places at the same time".

That said yesterdays decision was abysmal
  • Options
    Quite possibly the worst decision I have ever seen. The bloke should never run the line again.

It did remind me of an incident from my youth though. Playing Under 13s in the Bexley League. 1-1 in the end of season title decider. Ball hoofed forward, clearly goes over the bar, no nets in Charlton Park, little old nutter in charge gives us the goal and we win the league!!!!

Pretty sure he had to saved from some opposition parents.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I seem to remember something like that happening years ago in the late 60's early 70's. Can't remember who was playing.

You're probably referring to Alan Hudson's 'goal' against Ipswich, some time in the early seventies. The ball went narrowly past the post and hit the stanchion at the back, rebounded onto the pitch and the ref gave a goal.

I was at the game (went to quite a lot of Chelsea games around that time with a next door neighbour, after the Charlton supporting neighbour that introduced me to The Valley had moved). I was standing at the wrong side of the goal and therefore didn't see that it had missed. Remember seeing it in slow-motion on TV though.

Yeah, thats was it.
  • Options
    What I don't understand is how the laughing Reading bench, or the on field captain didnt go over to the ref and say

"You know what guv, it wasnt a goal, so lets just play on with a goal kick."

Or maybe that's not the done thing !!!!
  • Options
    3 points are huge points in the chumpionship and it speaks volumes about that palarse bstd, saying that though i wouldnt have said owt
  • Options
    Yea points mean prizes, but all that has happened is that the lino has been castigated. He cocked up big time, but I'm sure he thought it was a goal. Coppell et al knew it wasnt, so they could have taken the goal then allowed Watford to go down and score a goal then carry on.

It was such a cock up that it's not even laughable
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]What I don't understand is how the laughing Reading bench, or the on field captain didnt go over to the ref and say

Or allow Watford to go straight up the other end, and score from the restart...
  • Options
    any one got a link ?
  • Options
    I think it absolutely stinks. To top off the blunder by giving them a dodgy pen in the last ten minutes, was disgusting. I hope the man is never allowed to ref a pro match again. Respect, you'd have thought, ought to be earned and the vast majority of officials that I've seen this year, don't deserve an ounce of it.

In the game against us the ref gave Reading two non-existent pens and gave them a couple of cracks at it, as well as calling us offside repeatedly and clearly erroneously. I've long wondered if our game is bent. To be honest it would be better if it is, because if the officials are that bad, it's scary.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]What I don't understand is how the laughing Reading bench, or the on field captain didnt go over to the ref and say

I saw Di Rossi do this for Roma a couple of years ago. He handled it into the net then went over to the ref after a couple of mins and admitted what he'd done. I don't think they chalked it off though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They replayed that game against Sheff Utd vs. Arsenal a few years ago for something much less (Kanu goal after injured player i think), i can't see why they can't do it for this, a far more serious f*ck up...

Tony Cottee, the little troll, was arguing that it was a goal because the ref gave it and that's that and it was no different to Garcia's 'goal' against Chelsea in the CL.

I mean come on, you're meant to be a professional pundit you c*ck.
  • Options
    Scottish football is the world home of dodgy reffing. My three personal favourites were in a game between Dundee and my team, Partick. In the first couple of minutes Dundee blasted home a goal. it bounce out of the net and bobbled around the six yard box. Our players start walking back to halfway looking dejected and one of the full backs picks up the ball, carries it to the edge of the area and boots it up in the air. Somehow the officials missed this whole thing and wave play on.

The second, also involves Dundee. Firstly one of their players charge into the box gets tackled, falls under the challenge gets up chases the ball which rolls out for a goal kick. He trots back to half way without even claiming for a corner but the ref books him for diving (second yellow off). Later in the game former Arsenal player Rix was running up to take a free kick when one of the Scardrie players knocked the ball away and trots off smirking. In frustration Rix air kicked where the ball was (about 5 yards from the nearest player) which got him a straight red, though why I'm not sure.

The last one was again for Partick, against Rangers. We went in one up with a goal from English player Rod McDonald. A protestant but a fan of South American football he always crossed himself Zico style after scoring. During half time an eagle eyed Rangers fan spotted this and reported his huge offense at the gesture to a policeman who in turn reported it to the ref who sent McDonald off in the changing room. Gazza absolutely lost the nut in the second half and committed at least two red card offences which the ref freely admits, but he didn't issue one because he was scared of the crowd. I think it was his last game.
  • Options
    That has to be the MOST embarrassing mistake BAR NONE by any referee.

A sunday league ref with no linesman would ahve seen that was not a bloody goal.
  • Options
    I didn't see what side of the field the lino was on but regardless, it was the worst decision I've ever seen.

The ref can't have been watching as the ball, apart from hitting the bar and bouncing out, was nowhere near the goalline.

Both these officials should be suspended and then demoted to Sunday League park football permanently. Though after seeing the replays maybe they'd never want to officiate again.

I also agree that Reading should have admitted the error and either asked the ref to disallow it or given a goal back.
  • Options
    I wonder if Aidy Boothroyd will still get charged by the FA for getting sent off over the incident.
    I noticed that David Moyes is still being charged by the FA for getting sent off at Stoke even though the ref has since phoned Moyes to apologise and admitted he was wrong to not give a penalty.
  • Options
    Here it is Watford Goal
  • Options
    does it take ages to load?
  • Options
    It didn't but I was going to watch some other highlights and seems to be not working now.
  • Options
    OUTRAGEOUS