Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reading goal at Watford

2»

Comments

• Options
    No chance of the game being replayed apparently:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7628234.stm
  • Options
    Well, Reading should just let Watford walk one in at the start of the return match. Or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I seem to remember something like that happening years ago in the late 60's early 70's. Can't remember who was playing.

You're probably referring to Alan Hudson's 'goal' against Ipswich, some time in the early seventies. The ball went narrowly past the post and hit the stanchion at the back, rebounded onto the pitch and the ref gave a goal.

I was at the game (went to quite a lot of Chelsea games around that time with a next door neighbour, after the Charlton supporting neighbour that introduced me to The Valley had moved). I was standing at the wrong side of the goal and therefore didn't see that it had missed. Remember seeing it in slow-motion on TV though.

Blimey, I was also at that game AND with my Chelsea supporting neighbour. He used to take me quite a bit as a 10/11 year old.
  • Options
    If only it had happened to Palace!

Imagine Warnock's and Simes's reaction.

I had to watch the goal about 5 times before I understood when in the sequence of play the "goal" could possibly have been seen.
  • Options
    I honestly feel Reading players should of said something to the ref.

I remember Robbie Fowler trying to stop the ref giving him a penalty at Highbury few years back after he went down easily when Dave seaman got the ball. Ref wasn't having it and Fowler missed the pen but someone scored the rebound!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]That has to be the MOST embarrassing mistake BAR NONE by any referee.

A sunday league ref with no linesman would ahve seen that was not a bloody goal.

Mr Magoo would have seen that it was no goal.
  • Options
    Here it is on Youtube
  • Options
    Ridiculous of Coppell to say he would play the game again - I bet he would seeing as they would have the chance to gain 3 points rather than just the 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mr-Invisible[/cite]I honestly feel Reading players should of said something to the ref.

I remember Robbie Fowler trying to stop the ref giving him a penalty at Highbury few years back after he went down easily when Dave seaman got the ball. Ref wasn't having it and Fowler missed the pen but someone scored the rebound!

Not according to Robbie:

Many people wrongly believe that Fowler deliberately took the penalty kick poorly for reasons of fair play. However, he later stated that "I tried to score. I never missed on purpose. It just happened, it was a bad penalty."

Agree with the point though. I guess they're pros, but it would have been easy for them to just allow Watford to get a goal back. I recall something like this happening between Leicester and Forest last year (local rivals, too). A player took ill and the game was abandoned with one side winning 1 nil. When it was replayed the losing team let the other side get their goal so the game started in the same place. Although why football can't employ a bit more common sense and just say replay the game with one team having a one goal lead, I'll never know.
  • Options
    Common sense and football authorities in the same sentence? You're having a laugh...