Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Utd Players to sue West Ham

This is getting silly now!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7637184.stm

Comments

• Options
    talk about over the top! It is ridiculous!
  • Options
    Don't see why it is silly. If you had the chance to claim back a couple of £100k or more perhaps in lost wages wouldn't you go for it. I certainly would.
  • Options
    yeah dont blame them
  • Options
    WHU broke the rules, whether knowingly or not, so they deserve what they get...
  • Options
    Wonder if the fans will start suing West Ham next?

for emotional stress etc....
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Don't see why it is silly. If you had the chance to claim back a couple of £100k or more perhaps in lost wages wouldn't you go for it. I certainly would.[/quote]

How many more times do they want west ham to be punished, why don't they just simply set fire to upton park?

Sheff Utd's players had their chance to stay up by beating Wigan on the last day. They didn't and so deservedly went down. This reeks of greedy players simply jumping on a money bandwagon.
  • Options
    And West Ham can't appeal to the Court of Arbitration in Sport unless Sheffield Utd and the FA agree. Let me think, will Sheff U agree to that? What do you think Mr Duxbury

They cheated, they hid the fact that they had cheated and lied to the PL, changed their not guilty plea to guilty at the last minutes (because they knew they were only going to be fined not have points deducted allegedly) and are bang to rights. They have hid behind "the powers to be changed" although it is the same club and the same Scott Duxbury in charge.

West Ham and their stooges in the press can whinge all they like. They pleaded guilty, are guilty and have to pay compensation. The £5.5m was a fine, not compensation, and was allegedly reclaimed by suing Terry Brown.

The cowards at the Premier League hoped to see WHU relegated in the the natural way and so have the job they were too afraid to themselves done for them. Then it all went wrong.

Anything that Sheff Utd or their players get is well deserved.

I would have expected our club and our players to have persued the issue in just the same way if we had finished third from bottom.

I don't think we have a case as we didn't do enough over the season on the pitch but well done to Sheff Utd even if that hurts our promotion chances this season or next.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

be interesting where it ends though.

If players can sue for loss of earnings, then by rights (with lower visiting fans and attendances in the Championship), local pubs, chip shops etc can surely sue for loss of earnings as well ?

Personally i hope Sheff U get a big payout. And i hope it is all used to compensate those who lost their jobs, had their pay slashed as a result of relegation.

Somehow i doubt it will be used for that though.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

be interesting where it ends though.

If players can sue for loss of earnings, then by rights (with lower visiting fans and attendances in the Championship), local pubs, chip shops etc can surely sue for loss of earnings as well ?

Personally i hope Sheff U get a big payout. And i hope it is all used to compensate those who lost their jobs, had their pay slashed as a result of relegation.

Somehow i doubt it will be used for that though.

Somehow I doubt that as well but we shall see.
  • Options
    Whatever compensation Sheff Utd get, good luck to them but let that be an end to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haha. The next step will be Sheff Utd supporters suing for emotional distress.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Haha. The next step will be Sheff Utd supporters suing for emotional distress.
    It would probably happen in Scouse-land....
  • Options
    I just hope that Neil Warnock is remembered, and gets a nice payout too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Whatever compensation Sheff Utd get, good luck to them but let that be an end to it.

Why?
    [cite]Posted By: budgie[/cite]I just hope that Neil Warnock is remembered, and gets a nice payout too.

So he could retire? Good idea.
  • Options
    Surely this should be part of the compensation Sheff Utd are seeking, i.e. we would have had £30m if we had stayed up, part of that would have been used for player wages.
  • Options
    they will now have already paid £35m in compensation is that not enough?

It is Kia Joorbachian's debt really.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DessieValley[/cite]Surely this should be part of the compensation Sheff Utd are seeking, i.e. we would have had £30m if we had stayed up, part of that would have been used for player wages.

exactly!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Whatever compensation Sheff Utd get, good luck to them but let that be an end to it.[/quote]

Why?

Why not?

Would you have the whole thing rumble on until everyone in sheffield has had their pound of flesh or is that not enough, do west ham have to go bust before it the whole sorry saga ends?

Compensate the club but why should west ham have to compensate players because they weren't good enough over the course of a season?

Hardly justice, more like a witchunt.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]

do west ham have to go bust before it the whole sorry saga ends?

It would be a start

They are guilty and if someone has a case then let them fight it.
  • Options
    Good luck to the Blades.......WHU deserve it.....they should have points deducted ala Leeds, Rotherham, Luton, Bournemouth...as usual its rules for the rich and rules for the poor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite][quote]

do west ham have to go bust before it the whole sorry saga ends?

.[/quote]

It would be a start

They are guilty and if someone has a case then let them fight it.[/quote]

Fortunetly the Courts viewpoint is likely to be a bit more impartial than yours. Any players claim is likely to be a non starter.

The big mistake west ham made was agreeing to arbitration in the first place, they'd have had a much better chance in Court.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]
    [cite]

Fortunetly the Courts viewpoint is likely to be a bit more impartial than yours. Any players claim is likely to be a non starter.

Or yours. That's why I said anyone who has a claim should fight it. If it has no basis then then they will lose out but the players have a right to at least investigate a possible claim.
  • Options
    If the right action had been taken from the word go all this would be superfluos....I can understand the players considering suing....in any other walk of life as an agrieved party they could and possibly would take action...I support them because a huge(and I mean huge) injustice has taken place that's cost them countless thousands in lost earnings.
    Now, whether or not they deserve their massive salaries is of course another matter altogether but come on guys, they do have a genuine grievance.
  • Options
    SheffU should get a reasonable payout but more to the point West Ham should have to pay a load of dosh and start next season on minus ten points (whether that be PL or Championship).

If you lie and cheat you should get a big punishment - and the chief lier should not still have a job with WHU either. £5M was a gentle slap on the wrists.

To be honest, the FA are more culpable than WHU because they delayed taking action and then were woefully feeble when they sort of did.

I would like to see SheffU take action against them next and promise all further profits go to something like grass roots football in Sheffield.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    what about the staff of sheffield U that lost their jobs through relegation?
    what about the contractors of sheffield u that would have lost contracts through relegation? can they claim loss of earnings too? the list could go on and on and on....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]what about the staff of sheffield wednesday that lost their jobs through relegation?
    what about the contractors of sheffield wednesday that would have lost contracts through relegation? can they claim loss of earnings too? the list could go on and on and on....

Sheffield Wednesday were relegated in 2000 so not sure why they should get anything : - )
  • Options
    but they have however gained their rivals again and the police in the area will have more work this fixture this season so maybe they could claim too?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]but they have however gained their rivals again and the police in the area will have more work this fixture this season so maybe they could claim too?

But their only 30k + crowd last year was against United so they have done all right out of it.
  • Options
    They cheated & they got found out. They should be banished to the conference forthwith with a 30 point deduction and a 30 million fine.
    Good on Sheff Utd for fighting it all the way. The Spammers thought Sheff would just roll over and accept it, but they refused to give up the fight.
    I was very disappointed that Charlton didn't follow through with their threat to sue.
    At the time that the ridiculous 5ml fine was handed down, we were in a strong position to avoid the drop. Had W Spam had points deducted, they'd have been out of the way, and we'd have only been contesting the last relegation spot.
    That decision knocked the stuffing out of our revival and gave the Hammers a tremendous boost from which they never looked back.
    It affected all the clubs down the bottom, not just Sheff Utd.
  • Options
    Absolutely right Q-a, and raise it by 6