Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SWFC - Post Match thoughts

2»

Comments

• Options
    the booing is now completely out of control, we are a midtable championship side who just sold all their assets to keep the wolf from the door.... we may still end up getting stuffed and fall throught the trap door!

We need solidarity now, the 5000-10000 prem supportors we picked up along the way need to recognise there was a lont to charlton before you turned up and the world doesnt owe us a thing....

Im so angry that we have turned into a team that now boo at half time and ultinately make the players want to play anywhere else but the valley.....

People dont remember their history or werent around, but it now has got to the point where we are negatively impacting the team.....
  • Options
    This was my first visit to the Valley since Bent banged his penalty in against Wigwam. There have been quite a few changes since that day and yesterday as you know. I identified a few changes such as the queues for the food are a bit quicker. It also takes less time to get back on the road back up north. I also could see "The Valley" words filter out in the East Sand.

All of this tells me that off the field, we are not in the Premiership.

Hairy muff.

Back on the field.....

The moment the half time whitle blew and heard that booing, I thought "What the hell......"

Then again it did bring a smile to my face in that I have identified some people who are a lot more miserable than me and that is saying something :)
  • Options
    I don't know what to think about things at the moment. Part of me really has a huge question mark about Pardew. I don't particularly like him, he comes across as pretty arrogant IMHO, I don't believe he is committed massively to the club, he likes things his way and no other. Fine to an extent if your team are going out and winning loads, but we are not.
    Now yesterday to be fair, the defensive lapses and the missed opportunities cost us the game. I thought his substitutions and the change of formation really pinned Wednesday back to their own half so that worked. I thought the team tried.But I just never thought we would get a goal.
    The thing is I suppose we have to shift our thinking to what we really are. The results say mid table. Our hearts want us to be up in the top 6 / top of the league even. Our minds may believe we have enough in this squad to be challenging top 6.
    Is Pardew the right man? And who would be better? I still harbour that uncomfortable but probably mistaken belief that he should have kept us in the Prem, because Curbs did for West Ham. I don't think we should have finished mid table last season.
    I think we remain a brittle team, easily knocked off our game. I still think we have the potential to be a pretty good outfit.
    And yes the truth is Pardew probably still needs time, but I am still struggling to shake off the belief that he won't turn it round. I want to believe he will but it is not easy at the moment
    Here's a thought- maybe at some point in the future if it does not happen with Pards, how about a Kinsella/Powell combo a la Curbs/Gritt?
    No certainty that this would produce anything better of course, and likely wouldn't at first, but both are Charlton through and through, at least we would know we would have someone at the helm who loves the club. And that might help us get over the residue of aren't we a Prem team in waiting and help that sense of re build and unity.
    Dunno just a thought, in the mean time we need to get behind Pards and the boys. I hope they can do what we all want them to.
  • Options
    There wasn't much booing, was there? A small minority in the North Upper was all I heard.

I was more disappointed so few people cheered them off after a good performance in which they clearly gave their all.

we'll be alright though. Relegation fears are well wide of the mark I reckon.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm not furious, i'm just really disappointed and a bit disheartened.

We've got no given right to beat anyone. You have to go out and do a shift and earn it. What disheartens me is i really do think they put it in today.

I just hope we go into Tuesday with the same attitude, but also show there is a bit more about us at the same time.

Too depressed to read all of this but agree with AFKA. We actually played some good stuff, created chances and put in the effort but...

we gave them two goals and once they had something to defend they did it well. Credit to Sheff Wed for their effort and fight.

When we go away, grab a goal and hold on while under pressure we are told that we were "lucky, other team were better, deserved to win". Well yesterday Sheff Wed did that to us.

We could and should have won in but we didn't. SHeff Wed scored more goals than us and so deservedly won.

Better be better than this on Tuesday and kill off a side when 1 - 0 up.
  • Options
    I think Rothko summed it up perfectly for me.

I just think we huff and puff too much and havent got the sort of players that snap up half chances.

Varney for example can make a great chance out of nothing that hit the post yet when he gets a gimme he balls it.

Not a dig at him as I admire his effort, just a mixture of disheartenment and anger that good players have left and Pardew paid £2m for Andy fookin Gray who is an average journeyman footballer who isnt fit to wear Clive's tie ups.

I dont expect to turn up and see us win, and in 25 years I have seen some tosh, but I am honestly not enjoying it any more, its car crash football.
  • Options
    i said that when we signed gray,to spend that money on a player who isn't any better than big chris was,was disgraceful.That is my bone with pards,pays over the odds by bigging up players to the board.
  • Options
    Simply ‘one of those days’ games. Played well for 40 minutes, scored, hit the woodwork twice, missed a sitter, and not thing coming from Wednesday. Then concede a crap goal before half time was a killer and totally deflated the team, and would have made the second half difficult. To concede an even worse goal before half time to go in behind having dominated was difficult to take and gave Wednesday a huge lift.

Second half we did OK and had we got an equalizer on, would surely have gone on to get the winner. Sadly it was not to be. When you lose at home I will criticize if we have been out fought and very little effort came from us. Nether of these two things happened so no need for a panic.
  • Options
    I agree another 'another one of those days'

But I have had enough of Youga and do not rate Cranie at all - the wingers need support and the full backs are frankly not up to the jib - Pardew picks the team - I have not had enough yet but am getting close.

I know that at WHUFC by this point in his second season they wanted him gone and some how he conjured up play offs and Prem fooball.
  • Options
    I AM DISTRAUGHT, WE NEED TO WIN WEEK IN WEEK OUT!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe it is just my current mind-set but I was not massively disheartened by Saturday's game. Wasn't it a case of "how did we lose that?" rather than "we weren't at the races." ?

We missed a sitter, hit the upright, put some good passing together and okay it was a loose game in general and we lost to a far poorer (on the day) team than our own but I still see some signs of a team forming.

I am happy to have Weaver, Hudson, Bailey, Holland, Varney, Bouazza and a purposeful Sam in the side. Gray is there to provide a buffer for the long ball and is slowly settling into it but it is such a negative way of thinking (and strange considering Pardew trusts a loose-cannon such as Youga in a defensive role) when what we really need is a regular goal-threat. Varney is not that man IMO - he brings something else to the side and will score more with a goal-contributing partner taking that weight off of his shoulders. If we play Dickson, a passing game must be built but the brutal truth is that there are too many bullies in this league to let a bunch of 500k players show their skills. That long ball outlet is always going to be needed.

Youga needs a long lesson in what is expected of him and he can add his "flair" to when he gets such basics right. Sam also needs a sense of direction too but I don't think he is rubbish, more limited than the best certainly but he has strengths (Pace, determination and a bit of footwork FYI) which he should be encouraged to play to. Practising crossing both on the run and standing still for an hour a day should help make it second nature. Bouazza could do with gaining some composure at the final moment.

Cranie isn't match ready yet in my eyes but Pardew seems happy to let him get that way by playing him. Perhaps part of the deal?

So six to seven of the eleven are about the level we should be looking at IMO - a higher amount than last term. Others need to step up to the plate or be replaced from the squad. Perhaps Moutaouakil could attend the same class that Youga needs to go to, Basey seems underused for someone who seems to learn from his mistakes so there is potential there. Todorov is an unexpected boon and he and Dickson may be used to bolster the main attack.

We are eight games into the season with yet another new-look team. 38 games to go may be enough time to develop such positives and add to three wins and a draw rather than believe we aren't good enough and four losses become our platform for doom and gloom. Why are we giving up as a fan base so easily? If a fan that calls for a player to be subbed after ten minutes is being pre-mature isn't dismissing our chances eight matches in - the season-long equivalent? We could see this part of the season as foreplay - men are often accused at fumbling around not knowing what we are doing at this point, but once we get our act together and things get into motion the final thrust should make it all worth it....if that analogy doesn't make you smile then you are taking football far too seriously :-)

I enjoyed a bit of prolonged chanting too in the first half.

If I am shot down for this so be it.
  • Options
    You summed up my feelings better than I could Sco.
  • Options
    i aint happy with it and i tellyou why

i knew it would start to be said we missed our chances, on another day, we just didnt get the luck

well thats what has pissed me off i am fed up with hearing that pardew has been the man to take us forward since he got here however i am fed up with his spin that i keep falling for

i want him to say and do things to rectify the issues not paper over the fecking cracks i have normally calmed by now but i cant shift this it has stuck since wolves at home and i am fecked off with feeling like it
  • Options
    Until we can win a couple of games in a row and until Pardew and the management team can consistently bring the best out of a bunch of talented but flawed players, we will continue to have this debate. It could be a long season....
  • Options
    I'm still sulking. Really worried about Palace tomorrow now.

Pardew needs a fire lit underneath him. Youga and Carnie (how the fuck did he get a game for the under 21's) were abysmal, Primus is so unfit it is unreal but fair enough we have nothing else. Although I'm sure Matt Holland has never played in his life as a centre half.

Gray & Varney were ok, Varney goes up in my estimations each week and is definitely a forward who likes to drag wide and not a winger.

Pardew needs to carry the can for games like that. His tactocs were odd to say the least.

The good news was Todorovs return, he, like Gray makes the ball stick up top. If he is fit he must play. He is class.