Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Primus, Shittu and now Turner

edited September 2008 in General Charlton
Have now all played in the Premiership with varying degrees of success and yet two of them never kicked a ball in anger for us and the other started just 4 games.

Having seen Turner tonight I really wouldn't be surprised if he doens't go even further and do wonder why we chose to offload all three of them without ever giving them a chance.

Comments

• Options
    Curbs said a few years back if we had been in the championship these players would have been blooded however staying in the premiership was essential and he couldn't take that gamble,maybe Pards should blood a few and give them a run in the team.
  • Options
    Might still have kept us up and saved us a few bob in the process. If Arsene Wenger had taken that view Pat Rice might still be full back.
  • Options
    Hopefully we won't miss out on any more and let future stars leave and we can get some of the younger players to push through like Jonjo has shown in glimpses, although I think he's still a bit too young. The likes of Mambo, Solly, Arter, Jensen, Wright etc have a future if Pards can guide them in the right direction.
  • Options
    Add to that list Jason Browne who was in goal for Blackburn yesterday
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite] If Arsene Wenger had taken that view Pat Rice might still be full back.

then perhaps we could get him on loan to fill our fb void ;-)
  • Options
    to be fair to Curbs Turner was pony. He's done well for himself
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Curbs said a few years back if we had been in the championship these players would have been blooded however staying in the premiership was essential and he couldn't take that gamble,maybe Pards should blood a few and give them a run in the team.

This is the perennial problem which to be fair, I think, was one of Curbs less strong sides. In his later years, he failed to find ways of blooding enough youngsters in my view. We had too many journeymen in the squad which Curbs seemed always to turn to. This is the way he liked it with two and sometimes three players for each position making it extremely difficult for youngsters to get a look in. To be fair over Primus, it was as much things away from football which led them to let him go.
  • Options
    This does make me laugh. Primus was so long ago that yesterday was his first game for us at the Valley. He made his debut while we were at Upton Park, had injury problems and as Bing has hinted may not have been totally focused on his football. We had Rufus coming thru and were not in a position financially to hang onto players for years "just in case".

Shittu has had one season in the Premier League and finished bottom. he is now back at Bolton although I'm not sure how many times he has played this term.

Turner has played, at most 6 games, in the premier league. Let's wait and see how he gets on long term.

And remember Turner and SHittu were let go when we were a premier league team not in the Championship.

I think the point about Curbs not blooding youngsters is, however, valid. At least now players are going out on loan early.

Interestingly on CL recently some were writing Scott Wagstaff off already. So much for giving youth a chance.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Have to agree about Turner, he just didn't look all that when he was at the Valley, and sometimes you have to do right by a player for their career, though hindsight is a wonderful thing and the loan system wasn't exploited so much back then. He does now seem to have improved significantly and well done to him.

Regarding wagstaff, I'm not sure he was being written off, more that he obviously wasn't ready to break in just yet, doesn't mean he won't come good, but I think to say he's even on the fringe would be an exageration for the moment. Still I hope he does, we need to bring more talent through. I guess there's a balance between nurturing their talents and giving them a chance while at the same time doing what is right for the team?
  • Options
    We need to give J Wright a start!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe being let go/sold on gave them all a kick up the rear that they needed to push on with a point to prove. I do have sympathy for Curbs though cos it was playing for such high stakes whilst in the Premiership.

Did stop me from being a Valley Gold member though. Especially when he fell out with Konch. But look how many of our youngsters did break through Bowyer, Parker, Fortune, Konch, Lisbie and a few more but in the main part before we were promoted.
  • Options
    Let's not forget Matt Elliott - oh, and Richard Gough. Two more we "let slip". SACK THE BOARD!!!
  • Options
    How could i not put Rufus on there! My favourite ever Charlton player! It's the Monday blues effecting me obviously and the sniffles.
  • Options
    hang on what about:

Fortune
    Rufus
    Stewart
    Bowyer
    Newton

Curbs gave those boys a chance and most of them did ok. its astonishing the way people want to get on the guys back all the time.
  • Options
    Stewart?

Agree though, some times the cream rises to the top, sometimes it take a bit longer.
  • Options
    Jamie Stuart?- ok he was sh*te i know.
  • Options
    ha ha ok.. and Sturgess too?
  • Options
    and don't forget (as I have) the lad he got done for drugs with Bowyer - whatever happened to him?
  • Options
    Don't Linger on this thread ......

;o)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The boy scores again so that makes him equal with Varney though I admit the comparison isn't fair.

After all, Varney is a forward playing for a team 6th from bottom in the Championship and Turner is a defender playing for a team 3rd in the Premiership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIght ill pop back in the old time machine and tell Curbs not to let him go, thats got to be the only solution, now wheres that flux capacitor.
  • Options
    Alternatively you could persuade Pards not to let Dickson go and play him instead. Because he's started as many games a Turner did for us - a big fat zero.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thommo[/cite]RIght ill pop back in the old time machine and tell Curbs not to let him go, thats got to be the only solution, now wheres that flux capacitor.
    How are you going to afford the 2.21 gigawatts of power? Surely with the price of electricity these days you'll have to wait for that Arabs and then get a loan... ;-p
  • Options
    I've said this before...we aren't neccessarily 'aux fait' with lists of players released by other clubs...they all do it and the leagues are littered with players who were disgarded and gone on to carve out successfull careers elsewhere.
    Not sure that we are better or worse that many others come to think of it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I've said this before...we aren't neccessarily 'aux fait' with lists of players released by other clubs...they all do it and the leagues are littered with players who were disgarded and gone on to carve out successfull careers elsewhere.
    Not sure that we are better or worse that many others come to think of it.

I totally agree that we're probably no worse than a lot of other clubs. The only reason I'm persisting with the Turner thing is that some on here don't seem to recognise that it MAY have been a mistake to let him go. We'll never know because he was never given a first team game which is also why I link him with Dickson.

FFS we gave Lisbie more than 10 years at the club before we decided he wasn't good enough. Poor Dickson can't even make the bench and yet he's got two strikers in front of him who have scored 2 each in open play this season and a team that have mustered 12 in 12 and failed to score in 8 of their last 11 games away from home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Addick Addict[/cite]Have now all played in the Premiership with varying degrees of success and yet two of them never kicked a ball in anger for us and the other started just 4 games.

Having seen Turner tonight I really wouldn't be surprised if he doens't go even further and do wonder why we chose to offload all three of them without ever giving them a chance.

£10 million plus worth of improvement in less than a year. What price an England Cap ;-)

PS I still say the Jury is out on Dicko!!!
  • Options
    Well done to Turner for disproving the saying that once you leave Charlton your career can only go backwards.

Centre-backs generally seem to take a bit of time to mature as players, when they make mistakes they invariably lead to goals (or chances) and most mangers prefer to go with reliability in that position rather than youtfull promise and tolerate a few errors. From leaving Charlton he needed a few seasons to improve and going off to Brentford and learning his stuff and then Hull has proven to be better than being thrown in at the premiership deep end at Charlton.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]From leaving Charlton he needed a few seasons to improve and going off to Brentford and learning his stuff and then Hull has proven to be better than being thrown in at the premiership deep end at Charlton.
    Which is why we didn't make a mistake letting him go (before anyone brings that up yet again), and now we're in League One ourselves defenders, especially centre backs, might get a chance (such as Mambo).
  • Options
    Paul Bacon should've been given a longer run of games. . . . and Tom Hovi too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Paul Bacon should've been given a longer run of games. . . . and Tom Hovi too.

And George Boyd :-)