Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Primus, Shittu and now Turner

2»

Comments

• Options
    All these arguments that say we weren't wrong in letting Turner go because he needed to be blooded in the lower leagues have one big flaw.

There's something called a loan system.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]All these arguments that say we weren't wrong in letting Turner go because he needed to be blooded in the lower leagues have one big flaw.

Yeah, and we all know what a roaring success that has been for us over the past few years!
  • Options
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but how many years should we have loaned him out for? He was no overnight success at Brentford and needed some stability to go away and learn how to be a professional footballer and be a good centre-back. At the time we were a Premiership club and I doubt that he'd have been given many opportunities or much slack from some some of the more excitable elements in our fan base if and when he made any mistakes.

Maybe we should we loan out every youth team player for several seasons in the hope that they make it? But our budget isn't that big that we can afford to do that, occasionally one like Turner makes it and well done to him, but I can't recall at the time he left the club any anguish or grief from those in the know who thought we were letting a star player out of our grasp. It seems like many CBs he's a late developer and I hope he goes all the way into the England squad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]All these arguments that say we weren't wrong in letting Turner go because he needed to be blooded in the lower leagues have one big flaw.

Ah but we did loan Turner out - 7 games at Orient and 16 at Brentford after which time we gave him a "free". Though rumour on the Life Board is that we're due a "windfall" now as a result of a "sell on" clause.
  • Options
    Why can't we get players like that?
  • Options
    I'm still not convinced that we're due a sell on seeing as we dealt with Brentford, not Hull. But does anyone know how much and how we've got ourselves a sell on fee for him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]I'm still not convinced that we're due a sell on seeing as we dealt with Brentford, not Hull. But does anyone know how much and how we've got ourselves a sell on fee for him?

No one knows whether a sell-on clause exists, or if it does what the terms are. The suggestion is that we had a deal with Brentford but waived that in return for a better deal if Hull sold him on.

As with the T/O rumours lets see what actually happens.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Curbs said a few years back if we had been in the championship these players would have been blooded however staying in the premiership was essential and he couldn't take that gamble,maybe Pards should blood a few and give them a run in the team.
    To be fair we usually played the last 6 games of a season with no danger of relegation (or wins for that matter). Still, even the best make mistakes.
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Not flawed at all. Like Addick Addict said, we loaned him out twice (plus he spent 5/6 months training with Inter Milan). Have checked and by the time he actually signed for Brentford he was 21 (or days/weeks away). Not many, if any young players stay at a club until 23/24 being loaned out season after season. Just doesn't work like that.

He obviously left wanting first team football, a bit of stability (by that I mean a long term contract, rather than loan after loan). He was too old to be in our reserves just going out on loan year after year until he had enough experience.

If he was a few years younger he'd have probably broken through after we went down (like Sam and eventually Elliot did).