Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No money ? no cash ? crisis ??

Jus seem a big thing in the daily paper out here . The Top Boy in Dubai (one of the Muktoombs) hasjust given the go ahead to build a new city cost ?--------------------------------------------------------------------------- $58 billion .

Comments

• Options
    The world is awash with cash at the moment. The problem is everyone is holding on to it. Too scared to invest it and too sacred to lend it. The other problem is that most of it has migrated from the west to the Middle East and the emerging markets.
  • Options
    opppppppppppppppsssssssssssssssss sorry as others often say i do write a load of old pony sometimes $58 billion FFs --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------actually its $98 billion !!!!
  • Options
    Any country pumping oil must be swimming in cash at the moment. That's the crux of the matter though, they are producing something & not just moving imaginary money around. I fear for the UK economy because what is left if/when the financial services sector goes down the pan? Do we actually make/produce anything anymore?
  • Options
    The UAE is running out of oil fast and hence why theyre investing in building up infrastructure and new industries.
  • Options
    Dubai is an accident waiting to happen though..
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yes Thatchers experiment of making UK the money capital and the destruction of manufacturing is coming home to roost. Lets hope she has many more years of life to watch all she believed in being proved wrong.

as electors now grab the chance to rid this country of the vermin in the city that she created. tell your MPs you want full nationalisation of the City and retrospective 100% tax on all bonuses, hedge funds etc to pay for it. Then all banking profits and loans can be poured into our manufacturers.

shame about West Ham too!
  • Options
    Thatcher didn't and doesn't give a monkeys about "us" anyway.
    Same with the bankers ., etc.
    Shes too busy have her hair done or having banquets to worry about the average Joe.
  • Options
    Dan in Qatar a French company has just confirmed they have found a new oil field the second in a few months. Their oil must run out but not in out era.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: miserableold-ish git[/cite]Thatcher didn't and doesn't give a monkeys about "us" anyway.
    Same with the bankers ., etc.
    Shes too busy have her hair done or having banquets to worry about the average Joe.

Her health is actually failing now. She is suffering from dementia.
  • Options
    And I should be upset by that news because...................
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    She didnt give a shit about puting 4 million people on the chat did she ? or altering the figures 28 times so we never really knew just how many were out of work.

Hate is a very strong word - often used ---- but even today cant stand to see the bi*ch on TV, turn it over as soon as there is nything about her.

The peeps in the banking and money industry should remember one thing clearly. When Thatcher sold/ slashed/ and got ride of our industries etc and the 4 million were put out of work, the people who made the money was your industry -- the people would told us "tough shit its progess" was ur industry, the tory voters and the city gents could and didnt give a f**K ----- it was all "a case of economics" ------ seeing whats happening to the guys in the banking industry as a human being (no really) i do feel for you all but then "its just a case of economics " !!!!
  • Options
    yet despite all of this the Tories are well ahead in the polls..
  • Options
    Live in differant times razil. The only reason is how poor labour are not how good the Tories are doing. Think on it either Blair/Brown or Livingston etc hell on earth think ill stay in the stand dunes !
  • Options
    Well they accepted a lot of the Thatcher legacy, so I guess that makes them culpable too.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]....or altering the figures 28 times so we never really knew just how many were out of work.
    ....and Labour don't fiddle the figures? Why do you think there are so many more people on Incapacity benefit now? They've been shifted from Jobseeker's so they don't show-up in those figures....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]....or altering the figures 28 times so we never really knew just how many were out of work.
    ....and Labour don't fiddle the figures? Why do you think there are so many more people on Incapacity benefit now? They've been shifted from Jobseeker's so they don't show-up in those figures....

And why is inflation only showing at 4.9% when petrol and diesel have gone up by 25% in the last year. I always have a good moan every month when they release those figures. How do they calculate them?
  • Options
    F-B who said "labour dont fiddle the figures" they learnt from the Tories the following :

* Spin ---- who was in that brought in Satchey + Satchey ?
    * Number altering re above
    * Indirect tax
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]F-B who said "labour dont fiddle the figures" they learnt from the Tories the following :

* Spin ---- who was in that brought in Satchey + Satchey ?
    * Number altering re above
    * Indirect tax

They may be copying the Tories, but they're doing it 100x more.
    I don't support any particular party btw.

McMoist - They changed the way inflation was calculated so that things like fuel prices didn't have such an effect. It's all about massaging the figures....
  • Options
    It makes no odds whether we have New Labour or Blue Labour supposedly running the country.

The important decisions are all made in Brussels and the Irish are the only people who have been allowed a say on that and because they said the wrong thing they will be made to vote again and again until they come up with the right answer.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Len I respect your views but it is not European money which has been used to bail out the banking system and if all the chickens come home to roost, it will be British taxpayers who will foot the bill. It doesn't sound to me like we have no room for maneuvour and that all the decisions are taken in Brussels.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep and the people who caused all the shit have their millions in banks in the Cayman Islands paying f**k tax in the UK as well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Len I respect your views but it is not European money which has been used to bail out the banking system and if all the chickens come home to roost, it will be British taxpayers who will foot the bill.

Agreed. The British taxpayer will pick up the tab.

The real question though is how much discretion has the elected British Government truly had in evolving the strategy for coping with the problem?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Len I respect your views but it is not European money which has been used to bail out the banking system and if all the chickens come home to roost, it will be British taxpayers who will foot the bill.

The real question though is how much discretion has the elected British Government truly had in evolving the strategy for coping with the problem?

We are in a global economy and thus what ever we do in isolation is always going to be affected by what happens elsewhere. I believe that action at an EU level to deal with matters in the EU Economy over and above that taken now by our Govt is a good thing rather than a bad. At least there is an infrastructure set up to do this rather than the obverse which would just see countries acting totally in isolation without the additional strength of collective action.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]

We are in a global economy and thus what ever we do in isolation is always going to be affected by what happens elsewhere. I believe that action at an EU level to deal with matters in the EU Economy over and above that taken now by our Govt is a good thing rather than a bad. At least there is an infrastructure set up to do this rather than the obverse which would just see countries acting totally in isolation without the additional strength of collective action.

The irony is that Ireland acted in isolation and the rest of the EU have said nowt, possibly because of the second referendum. The EU has now effectively said "oh sh** one size doesn't fit all after all" go back to your own countries and sort it yourselves which is all we really needed to do in the first place.
  • Options
    Len funny thing it was said on a program over here, when this hoo haaa is over and the people in EU take a good look the single market the EU maychange drastically and could se the end of the Euro.
  • Options
    You can look at it that way but I stand on my first principles as regards the EU. It is not a European Super State, there are matters which quite rightly should be dealt with at a national level, and there are things that can be done at a pan-European level. Whatever the rhetoric of pro or anti EU integration and we are seeing that being played out now. In my view though, the EU offers the opportunity for us to work with our partners within a framework which would be much more difficult in it's absence.
  • Options
    Bing thats as much spn as the anti EU ---------- please dont tell me what happened today is a sign of the EU working.

have 6 regs on how striaght ur cucumber is (oooo errr mrs) but f**k all about banking regs.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Bing thats as much spn as the anti EU
    please dont tell me what happened today is a sign of the EU working.

I am not making that point, I am saying that despite the rhetoric of the Euro-phobes, our Country/Govt does have control of it's destiny within the context of a global economy and that the EU allows for pan-European action when that is appropriate. This has always been my view and why I believe we are still a Soverign nation and have not sold our country down the river by joining the EU.
  • Options
    K im not 100% anti but i think we have sold out.

Its a case i guess of "what did the Romans do for us ?"
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If we have a European central bank, how are the Irish and the Germans able to act unilaterally within the Euro zone in this way, surely its not cricket etc?