Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

No money ? no cash ? crisis ??

2»

Comments

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]She didnt give a shit about puting 4 million people on the chat did she ?

TBF GH the Tories inherited what from Labour? Us going cap in hand to the IMF, 3 day weeks, Unions making manufacturing unprofitable because of their leaders power trips, the worst economy since before 1930.....It wasn't quite as one sided as you're making out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]Bing thats as much spn as the anti EU
    please dont tell me what happened today is a sign of the EU working.

I am not making that point, I am saying that despite the rhetoric of the Euro-phobes, our Country/Govt does have control of it's destiny within the context of a global economy and that the EU allows for pan-European action when that is appropriate. This has always been my view and why I believe we are still a Soverign nation and have not sold our country down the river by joining the EU.

Nobody is arguing against inter governmental cooperation.

What those of us who are anti EU object to is the fact that we have a supra national government in Brussels and nobody under the age of 51 has had the opportunity to express an electoral opinion on this.
    EU laws take precedence over national laws that is a fact confirmed in a letter from my MP.

The Single European Act of 1986 (signed by Thatcher) amongst others removes our powers to control who enters our country from other EU countries.

That is hardly being a sovereign nation in my opinion and that is just one example of many I could give.
  • Options
    preceeded by a Tory government who failed to tackle the union question, and the Oil crisis.. how far back do you want to go, we were bankrupted by loss of Empire and WWII? These things are cyclical to an extent.

Thatcher did tackle over powerful unions, but in the process decimated much of our manufacturing. She also encouraged if not constructed a greed culture of fast money and speculation. However we were always going to find it hard to compete with cheap labour economies of the developing world in terms of manufacturing. I do think we missed out though on innovation and technology which the japanese, and Germans managed to keep hold of.

Personally i blame a lot of it on the education system which has been decimated over the years by both parties, in abolishing grammars in the 60s and 70s and underinvestment in the state sector under Thatcher era
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]preceeded by a Tory government who failed to tackle the union question, and the Oil crisis.. how far back do you want to go, we were bankrupted by loss of Empire and WWII? These things are cyclical to an extent.

Thatcher did tackle over powerful unions, but in the process decimated much of our manufacturing. She also encouraged if not constructed a greed culture of fast money and speculation. However we were always going to find it hard to compete with cheap labour economies of the developing world in terms of manufacturing. I do think we missed out though on innovation and technology which the japanese, and Germans managed to keep hold of.

Personally i blame a lot of it on the education system which has been decimated over the years by both parties, in abolishing grammars in the 60s and 70s and underinvestment in the state sector under Thatcher era

Oh indeed Raz. Its all reactionary rather than pro-active. That's the problem with politicians.

Generally they will only do what they need to do to get themselves back in again rather than looking at long-term solutions. The one thing I do admire Maggie for was her strength in pushing through economic solutions that initially made everything worse and her extremely unpopular, but was the only way of actually fixing the problem. Could you see any of today's politicians doing that?

Personally I blame Andrew Mills......
  • Options
    Hmm to some extent it is all reactionary, you aren't going to respond to a problem that doesn't exist, I think dogma is more dangerous personally. However short termisim is also a big problem what we really need is enlightened dictatorship, eh...

:)
  • Options
    The bankers have produced more damage than any islamic terrorist ever has or will. The terrorists are being pursued at any cost therefore so should the bankers. All their bonuses and salaries over £99999 for the last ten years should be retrospectively taxed at 100% and the same forces used against the muslim terrorist should be used to pursue that money wherever it is in the world. prosecution should follow and life prison terms in guantanamo bay given out.

judgement day should now fall on those enemies of humanity
  • Options
    can we publicly whip them too?
  • Options
    they would pay for that!
  • Options
    At the very least these banks that have gone under or done dodgeyness should have their staff bonuses audited, and scrutinised very closely - but I imagine that happens already to the limits of the law and retrospective law rarely occurrs.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    change the law like they did with the muslim terrorists.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    heeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i wonder if this $95 billion to build a new city meant Woolwich and Charlton ? i mean not sure it said it was being built in Dubai , but it was a Dubai based company.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]heeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy i wonder if this $95 billion to build a new city meant Woolwich and Charlton ? i mean not sure it said it was being built in Dubai , but it was a Dubai based company.[/quote]

It was in Dubai...lol

There´s a huge property boom in the gulf actually and leading financial wizards in the area have "welcomed" the global credit crunch as it might cool it down a bit.
  • Options
    Hey Gonnerhater check out what i wrote just before the annoncement yesterday. I am the next Nostradarmist.

http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=19837&page=2