Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

anyone got experience of audi a3 5 dr or similar?

edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
We are thinking of rationalising our 2 cars to one

I fancy the 1.8 thinking the 1.6 might be a bit slow. Audi services are bit steep though I believe?

R

Comments

• Options
    Had a A4 1.9tdi Brilliant car,will be ordering a new one soon at work
  • Options
    ta looking at a3 would love and a4 but too much for my budget
  • Options
    Razil try the Audi dealership at Blackfen always seem to have some good deals
  • Options
    Why not go for a nearly new car?

Car Giant

or

Motorpoint

Have bought from both thesse companies and they are allot cheaper that dealers and other car retailers
  • Options
    My mate went to that one at Motorpoint and got a cracking deal on a a4 4k less than at a dealer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]My mate went to that one at Motorpoint and got a cracking deal on a a4 4k less than at a dealer

i bought my old Golf GTI from there and got it for about £5k less then the dealer price.
  • Options
    tbh honest SE10Addick i have been thinking about trying my luck at buying and selling some motors from these places to make a bit of extra cash
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I've had a 2.0 ltr diesel Sportback (5dr) for 3 1/2 years and before that an A4 for 3 years.

What they say about Audis is true. They are a cut above in terms of build quality but you don't get the same kit levels as it's nearest competitor (VW). Ive never been unhappy with either of the A4s I had - worth every penny if you're happy to have a basic car.

The only gripe I have with my A3 is the centre rear belt gets stuck (happened twice) and has to be unbolted at the anchor, freed then fixed back down. Easy to do.

My A3 is going in a couple of weeks to be replaced by a BlueMotion Golf. I'm 'downscaling' as a cost saving excercise, The Golf is definitely not an A3 in many ways but it's saving me loads in personal tax and the spec of the car is excellent compared to another A3.

I'd look at the 1.9 eDPF diesel - the new generation low-emission, high mpg engine, same engine as in the BlueMotion Golf. The emissions are so low that the road tax is only £35 (I think) and the combined economy is around 60mpg. Diesel may be more expensive but the other benefits far outweigh the cost of the fuel.

To see what I mean about the basic nature of Audi, compare the A3 1.9 eDPF with the BlueMotion Golf Match, it's quite telling.
  • Options
    I had an A3 then an S3..
    i love audi's. i got a BMW after that but hated it..
    Deffo want to get another Audi... made well, interiors are really nice.. only bad thing is the servicing can
    be v expensive..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]tbh honest SE10Addick i have been thinking about trying my luck at buying and selling some motors from these places to make a bit of extra cash

Try getting them from abroad - that's where this lot get most of their cars from anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tavern two jobs fella ? well all i can say is good to see ur keeping B in style mate.
  • Options
    i do try Goonerhater,always out to make a quick buck m8
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Tav mate is it you selling all ur hidden bank shares that causing all the hooo haaaaa ?

out to make a £ its a sarf london thing mate
  • Options
    lol keep mine in a lock up
  • Options
    get a golf, almost the same car, as good if not better and cheaper. mine is awesome, its the basic entry level 1.9 tdi, 05 plate and it really is fantastic. its plenty quick enough surprisingly so, get one raz you wont look back.
  • Options
    OK well I don't want new, looking at 2-3yrs old

not sure which is more economical petrol or diesel

wonder if 1.6 is underpowered

and also considering a golf with similar questions
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    funny that just called up the 1.9tdi se golf 05 on 30k miles, is yours similar?

61.4 mpg out of town, that I like and insurance group 6
  • Options
    mine is an s, the se comes with alloys and nicer seats, but are are still ins group 6, still fast enough for anyone and 61mpg and 112 quid tax for the year!! its just the best all round car in my opinion! GET AN SE, ITS WHAT ME N THE MRS WILL GET NEXT. (damn shitcaps!!)
  • Options
    The 1.6 A3 is underpowered, not very economical and not cheap to tax and to get one new yer forking about £16-18k.
    Id say save a bit of cash and consider a Golf.

If you must stick with Audi for the prestige and exclusivity then a much better petrol engine near the 1.6 l capacity is the 1.4 TSI. The diesels are good but you are paying a lot more for it

But once again with the GOlf, you get more kit for your cash.

These models are up for renewal next year of that bothers you.
  • Options
    Had an Audi A3 1.8T kept it for 4 years lovely motor did about 35mpg and had plenty of go in it if that is your thing.

Have switched to an Audi S3 now have had it for over 2 years getting about 31mpg but the motor is an absolute missile.

Audi & Golf's are very similar in many ways but the Audi Badge is far more desirable plus re-sale prices are stonger. Have you considered the new Audi A3 Diesel S-Line range, test drove a brand new one a couple of months ago in Ibis White, had same kit inside as a S Line but engine was returning 50+mpg maybe a bit pricey though. As for Servicing yes it's pricey as is BMW as are all premium brands, you get what you pay for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agree with ketters on the re sale front, audi win hands down on that, but if your gonna keep the motor for a good while i dont think that matters that much!
  • Options
    got an s3 and they go like shit off a shovel!!!

but the 1.6 still has a lot of grunt too it, not sure what its like with 4/5 adults in it thou, should imagine you won't notice a massive difference
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I love Audis. I've got an A6 (not new 2000 v reg) 2.5 TDI plenty of power and brilliant on fuel 45+ to the gallon. Although it costs more I would recommend a diesel all day long.

I took it to Boro for the cup game and I don't hang about (90 all the way back). There and back on three quarters of a tank.

Plus it's lovely to drive. I've only kept it because I can't find anything better to replace it. Although the A5 looks the dogs and I'm getting tempted. Probably have to wait until there are a few secondhand ones on the market though.
  • Options
    Had an 02 Golf GTi 1.8T Anni (180bhp) and the engine is a peach. Also drove the same model, with the 1.9 TDi (150bhp) and that was also superb. Plenty of power and very quiet for a diesel.

Due to the pending arrival of the little one, we're looking at a TDi A4, estate hopefully. Cracking cars.

The 1.6 Audi engine is not very well thought of.
  • Options
    Just bought an A4 Avant 2.0 Diesel S-Line (170bhp). Lovely car, great economy (got 55 mpg on a recent trip to Bath), but still like s**t off a shovel. 0-60 9secs 140 mph top speed.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Razil try the Audi dealership at Blackfen always seem to have some good deals

Don't go to them mate. They're a bunch of cowboys. Loads in the press about a guy leaving his RS4 in for a service only to come back and find out that 200miles had been put on it so he checked the cars movements via his Tracker account and found out that they guys had been racing around in it.

We took our A4 in to get a little niggle sorted and they were rude, unhelpful and disinterested because what we wanted done was under warranty.

If anyone wants the details of the guys we bought ours from (Maidstone Audi) then just let me know cos the guy was great, did us a good deal and bent over backwards to help us out.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Razil try the Audi dealership at Blackfen always seem to have some good deals

Don't go to them mate. They're a bunch of cowboys. Loads in the press about a guy leaving his RS4 in for a service only to come back and find out that 200miles had been put on it so he checked the cars movements via his Tracker account and found out that they guys had been racing around in it.

We took our A4 in to get a little niggle sorted and they were rude, unhelpful and disinterested because what we wanted done was under warranty.

If anyone wants the details of the guys we bought ours from (Maidstone Audi) then just let me know cos the guy was great, did us a good deal and bent over backwards to help us out.

Got mine from Maidstone Audi really helpful & Friendly over there.
  • Options
    Just coming to the end of my lease on an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 - nice car, a bit small for my needs now. Have just bought a fully loaded Ford Escape - which will cope nicely with the snow which has started falling over night.

I like Audi have gone through three A4's with no major issues. Word of warning though Razil - have you checked out the fence panel carrying capacity of the A3 - not great I've heard.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]Just coming to the end of my lease on an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 - nice car, a bit small for my needs now. Have just bought a fully loaded Ford Escape - which will cope nicely with the snow which has started falling over night.

I like Audi have gone through three A4's with no major issues. Word of warning though Razil - have you checked out the fence panel carrying capacity of the A3 - not great I've heard.

how much are they? $20k US?

cant believe how cheap cars are over there....
  • Options
    I'll buy a roofrack... looking like a Golf though to be honest

Anyway I'm in to sheds now, only one so far tho...