Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich - The Mitre

edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
Yet another Boozer shuts The Mitre, just by ferry boarded up.

Comments

• Options
    Used to like that. Nice pint of Abbot.
  • Options
    Was being emptied out today,shut last week.
  • Options
    yeah was going to post that Sunday forgot all about it

Sure there would be a few more soon
  • Options
    Went past this for the first time ages a short while ago - surprised it's gone. Crown and Cushion's been demolished as well.
  • Options
    use to use that pub a lot when we ground shared at west ham,best time was when a load of us went there when the game against the daggers got called off due to the weather
  • Options
    I don't think I'd recognise Woolwich now other than Beresford Square near the Arsenal which I understand is in a conservation area.
  • Options
    i use to work in beresford square,not the same anymore
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]i use to work in beresford square,not the same anymore

Shame. I remember the market and the tram tracks. My father was born in the Arsenal.
  • Options
    worked there in the early 80s use to love the buzz there,happy days
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]worked there in the early 80s use to love the buzz there,happy days

Has The Tramshed gone? They did a lovely pint of Fullers in there and had some good bands too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A old face Don use to have a stall there,lovely man use to love his stories and exploits following Charlton,saw him a little while back at the standard in Westcombe Park.i was having a beer and saw him walk past gutted i never called him over
  • Options
    Depressing really.

A lot of us had our childhood and youth in and around Woolwich but so much of it isn't there anymore.

Hark at the Old Man:-)
  • Options
    Yes LenGlover gone now fella.Had many a night in the Tramshed.My mates sister use to be in the show with Hale & Pace the foundations good crack.
    Also watched a charlton band once there, again many years ago
  • Options
    By the way the Charlton band was called the Gownads a chap called paul who is a carpet fitter,top fella,ps i think that is how you spealt his band
  • Options
    tav, the carpet fitter posts on here!! come on geezer own up???
  • Options
    MCS what does the fella in question post as
  • Options
    The Gonads are a quality band Tavern............

Gonads
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Vancouveraddick,many thanks fella
  • Options
    Also was in " Please Return My Dog " ;
    we were World Famous (in deptford!).
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited October 2008
    so it was you then mr oldishgit?? rock on dude
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]Yes LenGlover gone now fella.Had many a night in the Tramshed.My mates sister use to be in the show with Hale & Pace the foundations good crack.
    Also watched a charlton band once there, again many years ago
    Still there but in name only. A few years ago it was extended and modernised and is now known as the Tramshed Performing Arts Centre

I've got many, many great memories of the old place - saw many mates play there as well as playing there myself on their new band showcase nights as well as headlining a couple of times.

While it's providing a great service the place as it is now has absolutely nothing to do with what I remember it for (their site doesn't even recognise the history of the place) but that's life! I suppose the name (and the old facade) lives on.
  • Options
    The Mitre is opposite my Ambulance station, and was always very busy at weekends. In 8 years at Woolwich, I only ever got called to the place once, so as far as I can see it wasn't a trouble pub.
    There hasn't been any signs of it closing up until the boards went up, so maybe it was closed for other reasons?
    Mind you, lets face it, Woolwich is a hole no days. No pubs, no shops, and no hope any more. Never mind the new builds up at the military college will bring life into the place when people buy them @ £300,000 minimum!!!!!!
  • Options
    Well, they're £300,000 minimum now, but if you hang around...
  • Options
    I bet its been bought by the church of wine mob next door
  • Options
    Tavern gonad used to drive a red van with big CAFC sticker in back. He gets in Con club. saw him last year with Rock Specticle.

Woolwich was the place we used to go shopping at Xmas because of the bigger posher shops --- no really. Now its the pits of the World , not sure its even part of the Uk.

Should be real fun when they open that Tesco down there.
  • Options
    Woolwich, the armpit of London
  • Options
    Having been born and lived in Woolwich for 21 years when I read posts like these it makes me sad!

When I was kid woolwich used to the mecca for shopping in south london! people used to come from miles to go to the market and the indoor one. Powis street used to be mobbed with shoppers and not one hint of trouble!

Their were so many pubs you were spoilt for choice! I had so many good nights in woolwich it was a great place to live!

NOW

I would'nt walk down there in broad daylight let alone in the evening!

I would say over 75% of the pubs that were in woolwich and on the borders of Charlton have now disappeared for ever!

Woolwich R.I.P
  • Options
    Hey don't be so glum about woolwich. It's gonna turn into the new Chelsea once the DLR and crossrail is up an running!
  • Options
    Woolwich is on a tipping point back to being quite nice, the DLR, Crossrail, knocking down the old council estates and the town centre developments should bring it back towards Charlton.
  • Options
    You can change the buildings and spruce it all up but i'm afraid you can't change the clientel!!!!!!

Its lost all its character!

My brother in-law who is a post man in woolwich was telling me that on certain estates the post men won't even attempt to deliver??????