Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Accident on the A2 This morning

edited October 2008 in Not Sports Related
Apparently the accident was a motorbike crashing in the eltham tunnel. Does anyone know if the A2 is reopened yet?

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2008
    There is no traffic going past Falconwood towards Blackwall Tunnell. There is traffic the other way towards Bexley
  • Options
    I came into work for 12, was still closed then so I had to go dartford tunnel and A13... wasnt too bad but the tunnel took ages to get to
  • Options
    Not sure if it's re-opened yet, but apparently it's still chaos.
  • Options
    How does a motorbike crash that happended at 5.30am cause so much hassle
  • Options
    I know it's a bit of a recurring subject with me...but I have to say...the road system brought to a halt...BY THE POLICE...as the result of an accident...........YET AGAIN!
    It wouldn't be so bad if they then helped in directing the traffic caused by the roads uneccesarily lenghty closure......but no that's way below the status of the average police officer these days.
    Was NEVER that way up until the last decade or so.I daresay they are working under instruction from those above...but whatever the reason, we are all made to suffer as a result to an extent which I feel is way OTT.
  • Options
    My wife went up to Bexleyheath this morning, still waiting after 90 minutes to get a cab or bus back - nothing is moving
  • Options
    highways agency are a joke. - GET THE BLOKE TO HOSPITAL - get the accident cleared and get the bloody road opened again. Can't take 7 bloody hours to do all that. I know they got to do investigations but do them quickly - can do the physical ones straight away and take photos or whatever.

Near where i live was an accident this morning closed all the bloody roads off again for god knows how long
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    yes, what an inconvenience to all of us healthy people that weren't involved. Lets hope the guy is ok eh guys?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]highways agency are a joke. - GET THE BLOKE TO HOSPITAL - get the accident cleared and get the bloody road opened again. Can't take 7 bloody hours to do all that. I know they got to do investigations but do them quickly - can do the physical ones straight away and take photos or whatever.

Near where i live was an accident this morning closed all the bloody roads off again for god knows how long[/quote]

Problem is ledge under this lefty government who have maybe not instilled but support a blame and compensation culture it is all about blaming someone.
  • Options
    what Suzi said, let's hope the guy makes a good recovery
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]yes, what an inconvenience to all of us healthy people that weren't involved. Lets hope the guy is ok eh guys?

Ermmm Suzi...come on now, no one is saying or suggesting that we shouldn't regret what's happened and that everying should be done to save someones life....but accidents have been going on for years without all this OTT road closure stuff. Once the injured (or dead...sorry about that!) are off to hospital and the medical side of things have been taken care of let's get the bloody road reopened or at least 'partialy' opened ASAP.
    Yes there were the odd closures for a while years ago but at a guess I'd say it's a lot of new 'must be adheared to' legislation and procedure that's been laid down over the last few years involving The Highways Agency......it's just not on Suzi and has to stop.
  • Options
    What Suzi said too. Sometimes things are a bit more important than us sitting in traffic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]yes, what an inconvenience to all of us healthy people that weren't involved. Lets hope the guy is ok eh guys?

Ermmm Suzi...come on now, no one is saying or suggesting that we shouldn't regret what's happened and that everying should be done to save someones life....but accidents have been going on for years without all this OTT road closure stuff once the guys off to hospital and the medical side of things has been taken care of let's get the bloody raod reopened or at least 'partialy' opened.
    Yes there were the odd closures for a while years ago but at a guess I'd say it's a lot of new 'must be adheared to' legislation and procedure that's been laid down over the last few years involving The highways Agency......it's just not on Suzi and has to stop.

if it was me or a member of my family or friends that was involved, I'd want a full investigation into why it happened. was it the condition of the road that caused the guy to crash? was it his own error? I'm sure the investigations don't take a couple of minutes, and i'm sure clearing the road and closing the road takes quite a lot of organisation.
    if you were right behind an accident, how would you get around it? would you be in shock yourself?

It was also in the eltham tunnel, where I've noticed on a few occassions that the road condition to the left of the road is poor and there is always water on the road, could it be a problem? was there a petrol spill from the result of this crash, would that have had to have been cleared, would the 'oil clear up people' have been stuck in the traffic as well unable to get to the scene and therefore causing further delay?

I'm sure everyone involved is working as hard as they can to get things back to normal to avoid moaning complaints from people that weren't directly affected, who experienced a little delay to their day.

Like i said before, I hope the person involved recovers and depending on the accident, those that witnessed it don't suffer.
  • Options
    Who here actually knows what happened?

Perhaps they couldn't just scooped the bloke up and put him in an ambulance, perhaps there was more then one vehicle involved and multiple injuries, maybe they needed to get a doctor in from QE or QM to see to the injured, maybe there was a need to investigate the incident properly and inspect damage in the tunnel.

But hey, better to blame it all on them darn lefties and H&S.
  • Options
    Nightmare Journey to work. There was so much traffic piling through Swanley that my step-son missed his school bus because I couldn't drop him off at the bus stop in time. Took him school in Wilmington and from there it took me two hours to get to Welling. Not a happy chappy this morning.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Perhaps they couldn't just scooped the bloke up and put him in an ambulance

They wouldn't have. He sounds seriously injured so they would of stabilised him firstly and then loaded and off to hospital. However, assuming he wasn't trapped under anything, that wouldn't of taken long.... the majority of the time during the closure would have been the investigators, police and then any repairs, if any, to the road.
  • Options
    Bloody old bill woke me up.

Some of us were trying to sleep you know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Similarly, the Mile End Road is shut in both directions directly outside Queen Mary, University of London at the moment due to a serious accident with a motorcyclist and very heavy long loader involved. The road has been shut for over 2 hours now and East London is gridlocked.

Thoughts are very much with the motorcyclist...

Puts life very much in perspective
  • Options

They close the roads to measure skidmarks etc etc. I bet the guy was rushed to hospital asap and rightly so.

In Florida, if there is a crash on the Interstate, its cleared ASAP..
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]I know it's a bit of a recurring subject with me...but I have to say...the road system brought to a halt...BY THE POLICE...as the result of an accident...........YET AGAIN!
    It wouldn't be so bad if they then helped in directing the traffic caused by the roads uneccesarily lenghty closure......but no that's way below the status of the average police officer these days.
    Was NEVER that way up until the last decade or so.I daresay they are working under instruction from those above...but whatever the reason, we are all made to suffer as a result to an extent which I feel is way OTT.[/quote]

Unfortunately we don't know what condition the rider is in and the circumstances of the collision and the police have to investigate it. What if it was one of your relations or friends involved in a collision? I'm sure you wouldn't think it was 'way OTT' whilst the police were investigating the accident and other commuters were delayed. Just as JohnBoyUK said, "Puts life very much in persepective".
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Who here actually knows what happened?

Perhaps they couldn't just scooped the bloke up and put him in an ambulance, perhaps there was more then one vehicle involved and multiple injuries, maybe they needed to get a doctor in from QE or QM to see to the injured, maybe there was a need to investigate the incident properly and inspect damage in the tunnel.

But hey, better to blame it all on them darn lefties and H&S.

I blame the cyclists myself..
  • Options
    Rothco is right blame it on the lefties / H+S and dont forget Ken Livingston. I generaly find the blame is in one of those 3 main areas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Fishnets[/cite]

They close the roads to measure skidmarks etc etc. I bet the guy was rushed to hospital asap and rightly so.

In Florida, if there is a crash on the Interstate, its cleared ASAP..

yes, and everyone sues everyone every 5 mins in the usa, so they know there is no point in investigating it as everyone will be blamed anyway.

Don't the US have a far less complicated road network than us? i.e less junctions, wider motorways, less tunnels, less minor roads surrounding the motorways etc How wide is the interstate? and aren't there different people that own it to the normal roads? there is definately limited access to it, I'm not an expert on us roads to be honest.

if the A2 didn't go through suburbs, then people wouldn't have an option to get on or off jamming everything else up. the A2 is 2 lanes only, and the tunnel area is also under the station and therefore they surely would have to check if any damage had been done to the structure?

I'd rather not drive through it next week and it collapse on me and the govt/police say "well everyone was moaning to reopen so we didn't check it was stable"
  • Options
    Suzi is back,Suzi is back ALLO ALLO

Some might have preferred it when you were being dilligent but not me,good to see you back Suz
  • Options
    more importantly is it clear now???
  • Options
    was ok when i came up about an hour ago.
  • Options
    [quote]They wouldn't have. He sounds seriously injured so they would of stabilised him firstly and then loaded and off to hospital[/quote]

I didn't go to this accident, but you are correct about getting him stabilised on scene first.

As we all know, the A2 is a fast road, and for bikes it can be a race track. Most accidents are high impact.

The first thing that the crew would do is to make sure that he is alive! Then slowly make sure that he has no neck/spinal injuries. To do this he would have to have his leathers cut off 15 - 20 minutes! Also it can take a good 5 or more minutes to remove his helmet without causing any new/more neck problems.
    Then depending on injuries i.e. broken bones which need to be splinted up, and giving the patient pain relief can take up to another 30 - 40 minutes. Then actually moving the patient is a very carefully planned operation. To move him, I'd guess another 10 - 15 minutes.
    Once on the Ambulance, everything that's just been done needs to be re-assest to ensure no new or increased pain. So, depending on the injuries, your looking at a good hour plus more just to ensure that the patient is safe and well. If HEMS (the helicopter) arrives that can add on another hour too!